• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2019 3:37 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7736 posts
4533 upvotes
Edmonton
I've done work for someone who seemed to be in a similar situation as yourself... Had a business idea, but not the technical skills to finish it. I was offered equity, but decided to not accept that and got an hourly rate. So many businesses never get off the ground (and this was one of them), and so many things out of my control... I wasn't going to invest 6 months of my evenings and weekends for nothing, you know?

One thing to consider is that (no offense intended) you don't seem like you'd have the knowledge to know if the web development was done properly or not. Hiring a student/green developer/offshore resource may get the site built, but it may not be built in a sustainable/maintainable way. For all you know, it may get built with security issues trojan-horsed into it (i.e. passwords/accounts sent off to the developer), and you'd only find out when the excrement hits the rotary ventilation device.
C
Jul 1, 2018
20 posts
1 upvote
What type of business are you trying to achieve? The business that you are suggesting might have too high of a failure rate so that is why people are quoting instead of wanting equity. But nevertheless, equity is looked at as a joke as ideas are a plethora while execution is key. Why not raise the capital then start the business?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1190 posts
442 upvotes
spraveenitpro wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 4:17 pm
Does the equity pay help buy a loaf of bread for supper?
...in case of success you can buy a bakery.
The only question is probability...

Cheers!
Dec 26, 2018
5 posts
tequilla wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:36 am
...in case of success you can buy a bakery.
The only question is probability...

Cheers!
Well, Probability is not something you want your loaf of bread to depend upon....
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1190 posts
442 upvotes
spraveenitpro wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 12:39 am
Well, Probability is not something you want your loaf of bread to depend upon....
Why not? angel capital works well with right calculations.
If OP would be more open on his case -- we can
guess success rate and bet our money/time with appropriate odds.

Yes, in some sense it becomes gambling..
and yes, do not go gambling hungry or without calculation skills...

Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7736 posts
4533 upvotes
Edmonton
spraveenitpro wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 4:17 pm
Does the equity pay help buy a loaf of bread for supper?
It would seem logical that if a developer (or anyone) is willing to consider a job for equity or other form of potential deferred payment, they don't need the money from that job for "a loaf of bread for supper". They're willing to take it on for a long term gain. They either have resources set aside that allow them the luxury of considering a deferred payment, or they have a "day job" that provides sufficient income allowing them that same luxury.

This does reduce the potential candidates for the position, which is likely why the OP is having trouble finding someone to jump aboard. The OP may also be over-estimating the likelihood of potential payback, or not able to sell his vision properly to other investors of their time/money in his project. Or they may be underestimating the amount of work required by a developer to complete the vision they have. They might have a "great idea for the next big app", but no real concept of how much work is involved. Trying to sell that idea to someone with "Here's my idea, you do the work, and we'll split things 50/50, k?" may not work real well.

Who knows... The OP has posted a few messages in other threads since starting this thread, but hasn't bothered to come back and respond to any input given.

C
Dec 26, 2018
5 posts
Why not? angel capital works well with right calculations.
If OP would be more open on his case -- we can
guess success rate and bet our money/time with appropriate odds.
Sounds Scammy to me.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1190 posts
442 upvotes
spraveenitpro wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 7:14 pm
Sounds Scammy to me.
...yes...calculus 101 is not for everyone...

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1138 posts
121 upvotes
The thing is "ideas" are so easy to come by nowadays...
Majority of businesses nowadays are just rip off of other business ideas.

Execution on the other hand isn't easily replicated, so if I do the work then why would I split it 50/50 with you.
Also most web developers don't want to execute your idea when they can spend time on their own personal project.

Most people don't go into a business because of "risk" but you're basically making the person take the "risk" with you without a compensation up front.
Apr 29, 2018
77 posts
39 upvotes
Rather than going the route of hiring a Web Developer, I would suggest you start working on a proposal/presentation and try to raise some money. Not only will that add the accountability and seriousness required for a business, it will also help filter the idea. During this process the research required should help you understand the market better.

Also, as an IT Engineer myself, the biggest problem with code, is maintainability. Vulnerabilities are found on a daily basis and improvements need to be made constantly. As such it is far cheaper and much much easier to use an existing solution. It also puts this burden on the original developer.

Finally, yes as people have mentioned, ideas are worthless. Execution is what sets things apart.

Uber was not the first cab-hailing/ridesharing company, nor was Google the first search engine, or WhatsApp the first mobile communication client. The examples go on and on.