• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2013 12:53 pm
Oct 5, 2008
127 posts
I have used GoDaddy, HostMonster and Hostgator.

GoDaddy is an adequate host and one of the few that offer .ca support and renewal at a reasonable rate. They do upsell quite a bit and the BIGGEST PROBLEM is only allowing ONE mail account included in the hosting package. As far as I know, they are only host that charges you for more email accounts. They also have a few minor technical limitations.

Hostmonster is utterly over capacity. The technical explanation is the load average on my server was a constant 80+ (it should be less than 1), I got the livechat representative to admit the server is slow. My requests to switch servers were ignored. I know the problem wasn't mine because i had no issues with GoDaddyhosting. I got my 30 day money back gaurantee and never looked back. Here is a short read up on someone else who has seen my problem.

Hostgator seems to be quite stable with great support. I have had no complaints. My developer is also quite satisfied with the functions and speed/responsiveness. But note that they charge $25 for .ca renewal (pricy!). I kept my domain with Godaddy and nameservers to Hostgator.
Sep 15, 2012
2 posts
Depends on you're budget, if you have couple hundred to spare then go rent a co-location space as they are about 40~50 CAD / month with terabytes of data and you own the hardware.
Jul 25, 2008
210 posts
Niagara Falls
OP needs to specify what his definition of 'cheap' is and what he wants to do/use the site for. Generally speaking DreamHost is great for $10/mo unlimited pretty much everything. Lifehacker has a promo with them currently, new customers, $20 for the year - http://dreamhost.com/promo/lifehacker/

I'm with them now, not a problem.
Jan 23, 2007
87 posts
littlebearz wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 9:56 pm
Depends on you're budget, if you have couple hundred to spare then go rent a co-location space as they are about 40~50 CAD / month with terabytes of data and you own the hardware.
And who has such pricing in Canada? Just curious.
Mar 4, 2006
371 posts
depends on your requirements .. but for basic hosting .. 000webhost.com is pretty good ... cant complain at free
^my two cents^
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
2832 posts
I use ipxcore for my basic needs. $1/month or $10/year.
My best RFD deal: Rogers - Unlimited local calling/CID/VM/unlimited texts//100 Long Distance Minutes/6 GB LTE data = $53.13 plus HST
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6256 posts
I use stable host.
23$ a year

50GB bandwidth
1GB space
Unlimited Domain hosting..
Feb 9, 2013
39 posts
What's considered a good price for domain registration (.ca)? And what are some good features to get?
Feb 16, 2013
343 posts
1and1 is the worst most evil company i have met. They even send me invoices for, get his, domain that i have since transfer and then let expire with another domain company! Godaddy is a bit better not really. www.Internet.bs is one of the best, not filled with crap and gimmicks.
Hostgator is good because it works and functions, at least. But in reality it sucks too if you have any heavy demand or professional usage. After the initial deal they charge you a higher rate too and most people can't be bother to change hosts.
You should try to use Amazon AWS it is very cheap in some ways at least the buckets for photos.
Feb 12, 2013
750 posts
HostGator is a good low cost provider, as is BlueHost. If you want some in depth reviews, check out a forum like Web Hosting Talk, you will find plenty. I would steer clear from the smaller lesser known hosts, some tend to oversell or are resellers. There's a high turnover for these providers and I've had providers shut off the lights on me and go down under without notice before. Best practices though, back up often anywhere. :)

NameCheap is regarded as the best domain provider, low cost and a decent (note: not great) control panel as well. I love their customer service though.
× < >