• Jun 3rd, 2017 9:40 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
93 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver

Web hosting suggestions?

I have a small website (a portfolio) that I currently host on hostmonster. (URL though godaddy) They want $9.99 US a month to renew hosting. I'm not working now so that's a lot of cash. I'd like to find a cheaper option.

There are some free ones listed in RFD, I'm not sure if that's too good to be true...?

Are there any cheap hosts people would recommend? so many of them seem to offer something like $4.99/ month!* (* then bump it to something like $8.99 a month after the first year) I don't want to have to move to a new host every year just to keep my costs down.

Should I host and have the URL at the same site? will that make it cheaper?
43 replies
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 2:39 pm
Static content? No php or database? Host it on a VPS for $1/month.

https://lowendbox.com/
Why would you suggest this?
Do you know if client has the knowledge to install LAMP or LEMP?

Check out Crocweb.com, BuyVM.net, StableHost.com
Check out webhostingtalk.com (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4) for more suggestions.
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
93 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
I know very little about webpages, not even enough to answer your questions! :) but am hoping to learn wordpress.

(and thanks I will check out those hosts!)
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
77_Bus_Girl wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 2:54 pm
I know very little about webpages, not even enough to answer your questions! :) but am hoping to learn wordpress.

(and thanks I will check out those hosts!)
I would go with CrocWeb. They're a Canadian company with servers in Montreal (good for serving Canadian visitors).

You can setup Cloudflare or a similar service to serve your pages even faster.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
YorkIT wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 2:45 pm
It's not quite as simple as Cpanel but there's other panels out there that make maintenance easier.
I can do things by hand but even I use Virtualmin.

Personally I'd agree with the VPS suggestion solely because I'm not a huge fan of shared hosts.
Cheap VPSes often aren't that much better but shared hosts can be pretty bad.
Plus I don't like Cpanel.

If you're completely tech illiterate and don't want the hassle of maintaining a server, then yeah a shared host is probably better.

EDIT: Also to note, hosting your own website is somewhat trivial (unless you get the hug of death from various popular websites) but hosting your own email is definitely a challenge.
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
YorkIT wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 2:59 pm
I would go with CrocWeb. They're a Canadian company with servers in Montreal (good for serving Canadian visitors).

You can setup Cloudflare or a similar service to serve your pages even faster.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
I forgot to mention to use their 60% off coupon.
It's in the webhostingtalk.com forum thread.
Feb 25, 2009
514 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
I have escaped from Godaddy before, I'm using http://www.smarterasp.net/ , it's 6 months now. In general it works quite well and fast (I have the 7.95$ plan), but last week, it had been down almost each day, about 5-10 min each time. This week seems ok. I'm not sure that if I will stay with them. But if your web is not critical (like me), you can give it a try, 2.95$ (USD) a month is not bad.
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
I ran 3 websites on 3 different providers with 1 year prepaid (ehost, hostgator, bluehost) which worked out to about $2.99 a month so $36 a year. After that year I negotiated the best price, and ended up getting 5 years of hosting for $110 from hostgator. They beat out the other sites, so now I host all my sites on that one. In 5 years i'll reup for the same price, or go somewhere else.

The TLDR is pay for a year and ask for the best price with discount codes. Most bigger shared bw companies will offer you something. It's all the same stuff, especially if you're running low traffic sites
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2482 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RubberCheese wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 5:29 pm
+1. I use their shared services https://buyshared.net/shared-cpanel-hosting/ for basic hosting (primarily email, online "homepage" with my bookmarks, and some stuff to share with friends). Super cheap and almost perfect uptime.
Go with BuyShared.
$5/yr and you get a static IP address.
Websites load fast, no issues!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
93 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
mobifree wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 9:08 am
Go with BuyShared.
$5/yr and you get a static IP address.
Websites load fast, no issues!
thanks everyone! I looked at the buyshared and it looks good - I'll be able to install wordpress? The "knowledge base" is a little too technical for me - I could not understand enough to figure out if wp would work...

anyone know if it has the one-click install for wordpress?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2482 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
77_Bus_Girl wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 1:44 pm
thanks everyone! I looked at the buyshared and it looks good - I'll be able to install wordpress? The "knowledge base" is a little too technical for me - I could not understand enough to figure out if wp would work...

anyone know if it has the one-click install for wordpress?
Yes, they use CPANEL so they have 1 click word press install.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond
buyshared does seem like a good deal if it's reliable. I have a historical deal from stablehost.com that's pretty similar, and stablehost has been pretty reliable, but buyshared is still cheaper.

Avoid Canadian web hosting companies because they will have to charge you GST/HST.
Dec 20, 2015
322 posts
129 upvotes
Nunavut
YorkIT wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 2:45 pm

Check out Crocweb.com, BuyVM.net, StableHost.com
Check out webhostingtalk.com (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4) for more suggestions.
Pretty sure there is Turnkey LAMP and Turnkey WordPress. Ramnode offers it with a 1 click install.
😃😃😃