• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2017 9:40 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
18887 posts
745 upvotes
Just curious ... Why not just setting up a free site at Wordpress.com ?

If you really want to host your own site, CrobWeb and Stablehost are very inexpensive ... especially with their promotional 60-75% off coupon codes (ie. Black Friday). However, hosting Wordpress on these low-cost shared hosts is very very slow if your site is fancy.
May 22, 2016
8 posts
1 upvote
A little late to the party, but you can host a static site on github here with a custom domain for free forever!
Rig - Dell u3415w|Enthoo Evolv ATX|Intel i7 5930k|Corsair H110i GTX|ASUS X99-A|Samsung 850 Evo 250GB|WD Black 1TB|Corsair LPX 4x8GB|EVGA ACX 780 Ti
Server - Fractal Design Node 304|Intel 4770k|ASUS Z87I Deluxe|Kingston V300 120GB|2xWestern Digital Red 3TB|Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9640 posts
946 upvotes
LOL say what

The Canadian currency is 70 cent to a US dollar. The HST max you'll get charge is 13% ...

30% vs 13% ...

Face With Tears Of Joy
Faith24 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 3:34 pm

Avoid Canadian web hosting companies because they will have to charge you GST/HST.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
[OP]
Jul 29, 2007
93 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
willy wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 11:49 pm
Just curious ... Why not just setting up a free site at Wordpress.com ?

If you really want to host your own site, CrobWeb and Stablehost are very inexpensive ... especially with their promotional 60-75% off coupon codes (ie. Black Friday). However, hosting Wordpress on these low-cost shared hosts is very very slow if your site is fancy.

oh I wasnt aware you could! will look into it. thanks! And my site is nothing fancy, just a portfolio.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9640 posts
946 upvotes
if you are just hosting a portfolio site, just use one of the free providers in the freebies

unless you are making money transaction on your site, paying to get hosted for a portfolio is a waste of money
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
May 14, 2012
337 posts
64 upvotes
MARKHAM
You won't be able to use your own design if you use wordpress.com

Since you already have a domain, you could just use our free hosting service listed in the freebies section.

As long as you read the first post and follow instructions carefully, you'll get your account activated quickly.

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 12:57 pm
oh I wasnt aware you could! will look into it. thanks! And my site is nothing fancy, just a portfolio.
Directhosting Web Hosting
BigNames Domain Registration
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1823 posts
904 upvotes
Richmond
sexyj wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 11:19 am
LOL say what
The Canadian currency is 70 cent to a US dollar. The HST max you'll get charge is 13% ...
30% vs 13% ...
Actually most of the Canadian web hosting providers charge in US$ since they offer a worldwide service. I've had a couple of hosting accounts that I was paying in US$ to a U.S. company until they were sold to a Canadian buyer. Their price in US$ remains the same, but as soon as they saw that my credit card was Canadian they charged me GST.
May 14, 2012
337 posts
64 upvotes
MARKHAM
Faith24 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 1:36 pm
Actually most of the Canadian web hosting providers charge in US$ since they offer a worldwide service. I've had a couple of hosting accounts that I was paying in US$ to a U.S. company until they were sold to a Canadian buyer. Their price in US$ remains the same, but as soon as they saw that my credit card was Canadian they charged me GST.
Then you should clarify by saying avoid Canadian host that charge in US. Because we don't charge in US Dollars!
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1823 posts
904 upvotes
Richmond
DirectHostingCanada wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 2:06 pm
Then you should clarify by saying avoid Canadian host that charge in US. Because we don't charge in US Dollars!
No offense to DirectHostingCanada, but the fact is that the tax system gives you an unfair disadvantage selling your services to Canadians. To everyone else in the world you can offer it tax free, but for Canadian customers you must collect and remit GST/HST. It doesn't matter what currency the customer pays in. Fortunately that's not a disadvantage for business customers, who can pass it on.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1049 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
I've been using x10hosting for a few years now, and mostly happy with them. Sometimes my site will go down for a few mins, but for the most part it's a reliable provider, you get what you pay for I guess :)
signature removed for rule violations
Apr 17, 2014
488 posts
138 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I've used 3ix for my webhosting for years. They aren't awesome but it's $1 a month.
May 14, 2012
337 posts
64 upvotes
MARKHAM
Faith24 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 4:27 pm
No offense to DirectHostingCanada, but the fact is that the tax system gives you an unfair disadvantage selling your services to Canadians. To everyone else in the world you can offer it tax free, but for Canadian customers you must collect and remit GST/HST. It doesn't matter what currency the customer pays in. Fortunately that's not a disadvantage for business customers, who can pass it on.
Well, sure. It depends on whether you want to support Canadian business or not.

Some people rather support Canadian businesses than saving a few bucks. To each of their own.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1823 posts
904 upvotes
Richmond
Buyshared is a web hosting service. They aren't a domain registrar. You have to buy a domain name elsewhere, like GoDaddy, and then use it with their web hosting. Most people prefer to keep those functions separate so that it's easy to change your web host if anything happens (like their service and reliability deteriorates, or they get hacked, or go out of business, or get sold to some other company you don't like).

GoDaddy is primarily a domain registrar who also happens to offer some limited web hosting services.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4252 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Any suggestion on cheapest ones for WordPress capable hosting?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)