• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 9:23 pm
Tags:
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9527 posts
914 upvotes
if you are aiming for cheapest, may as well try those free ones listed in the freebie section
h2o- wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 12:13 pm
Any suggestion on cheapest ones for WordPress capable hosting?
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1227 posts
547 upvotes
Richmond
On most shared Unix web hosts running cpanel, you can do a one-click install of Wordpress, and then customize it from there. Buyshared.com mentioned earlier in the thread seems like a great deal for that, although I haven't used them personally. According to the specs their $5/year plan would do for a basic Wordpress site, which is ridiculously cheap.

You can get free basic hosting of Wordpress sites from Wordpress.com, but with limitations. It has to be a subdomain like wordpress.com/mysubdomain, although you could probably forward your own domain name to the wordpress.com subdomain. Also the free version gets advertising inserted.

cpanel isn't necessarily the easiest web hosting interface out there, but neither is it very difficult to learn, and it's the industry standard - well worth learning.

Wordpress has a bit of a learning curve too, and you have to be very careful to keep it and any plugins you are using up to date. Because it is in widespread use, and there's a ton of plugins with poor security, Wordpress is an easy target for hackers. You have to keep a close eye on your web site, especially if you are using it for any form of e-commerce.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4187 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
I was with one of them... then few years after, they turned into paid hosting. I still stick with them as I don't have much time to do research and migrate.
I just bump into this thread... might as well check with you guys.
sexyj wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 12:19 pm
if you are aiming for cheapest, may as well try those free ones listed in the freebie section
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Mar 28, 2012
289 posts
69 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Faith24 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 10:02 am
Most people prefer to keep those functions separate so that it's easy to change your web host if anything happens
This is holdover advice from the early days. The domain industry is highly regulated to prevent such nonsense these days. The only thing you need to worry about is ensuring that YOUR OWN INFO is used for the underlying domain whois contacts (beneath any optional privacy layer). If a company has a clause in their contract with you stating they are listed as domainholder or admin, choose another provider. If they are doing this, they are skirting the spirit of the regulations meant to protect you. If you see a clause that make a domain contingent on other service components such as hosting, run far away and avoid this host. i.e. offering a "free domain" with a year hosting is fine, but should you decide to cancel early, they can not hold the domain hostage unless you pay the full year. At worst, they can make you pay a REASONABLE and customary fee for the domain - and this is what should be in the contract you agree to - and they have to let you take it elsewhere.

As long as YOU are the domainholder, you have ultimate control over your domain name and freedom to change registrar or host without interference.
There are rules w/r to providing a self-manage interface or time limits to comply to your request if an interface is not available.

If you want someone else to handle registry-related issues for you because you fear it's over your head, that's fine, but always please please keep your own name and a valid email address of your own there as owner and admin. FORWARD to them or someone else you trust any messages or ask for help or clarification (which they should always be willing to provide).
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1227 posts
547 upvotes
Richmond
JoDanrfd wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 1:03 pm
This is holdover advice from the early days. The domain industry is highly regulated to prevent such nonsense these days.
I wasn't suggesting that the domain registrar could be a problem, I was suggesting that the web hosting service could be a problem.

What do you do if your web hosting service gets hacked and they don't seem to be fixing the problem quickly? Easy - switch to a different web host, change your name servers to point to it, and you're up and running again within a few hours. It's easy as long as you have a separate domain registrar hosting your name servers.
Mar 28, 2012
289 posts
69 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Even if your domain service provider and webhost are one and the same, it's just as easy to switch the domain to a different hosting network as if you were using separate companies.

There are rules w/r to providing access to a self-manage interface and/or time limits to comply to your requests.
The hacked webhost can not stop you from changing your nameservers at any time.
If their interface that allows you to do so yourself is down, they must manually make the change for you via back end to the top registry within a stipulated time.

If they are a reseller for an actual registrar, and their hosted interface is down, it's not likely the registrar's interface will also be down.
If they are an actual registrar and all systems are down, it will be top priority for them to get it back online or activate backup or disaster protocol.
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2306 posts
472 upvotes
Toronto, ON
h2o- wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 12:13 pm
Any suggestion on cheapest ones for WordPress capable hosting?
buyshared.net
$5/yr (USD) includes Softaculous that allows you to install WordPress with a few clicks.
You also get static IP address.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2306 posts
472 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You can register your domain name with Godady or any other cheap registrar.
Host your website with buyshared.net
Host your DNS with he.net or cloudflare (also does caching)
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4187 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
pete_rfd wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 4:58 pm
I've been using x10hosting for a few years now, and mostly happy with them. Sometimes my site will go down for a few mins, but for the most part it's a reliable provider, you get what you pay for I guess :)
Are you on free or Premium plan?
Do you have your domain point to them or use their subdomain?

TIA
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Apr 2, 2009
811 posts
128 upvotes
Markham
Segregate i. Domain ii. DNS iii. Web/SQL iv. Email

If you're running a high traffic website, I would separate the Web & SQL as well.

Some domain registrars provide free DNS service as well.

When you separate everything, if one service goes down, all other services are still up and running.
And as long as you have a backup of your web/sql content, you can easily switch your host, upload your files and be running in a matter of minutes after updating your DNS.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1026 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
h2o- wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:26 am
Are you on free or Premium plan?
Do you have your domain point to them or use their subdomain?

TIA
Free plan. I have my own domain and point to their nameservers.
signature removed for rule violations
Jan 27, 2008
244 posts
27 upvotes
This post was useful for me. I've been with iPage for the past 3 years and now they up the price by 5 times (probably the promo has ended) so ended up signing up with CrocWeb with 40% promo discount.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel