• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2017 3:34 pm
[OP]
Oct 8, 2002
606 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga

Webhost/email for a small business

My current webhost has turned to sh!t, their email servers are blocked by yahoo, gmail and others and they have not been able to fix the problem for the last two weeks so I have given up and decided to switch.

The website is not complicated, pretty much any basic package would suffice, my main concern is email servers ie: how reliable are they, if for some reason the email servers are blacklisted, how quick does the staff fix the issue?

I don't mind paying 10-15/month as long as the mail service and support is top notch.

Thanks for any suggestions.
10 replies
May 14, 2012
334 posts
63 upvotes
MARKHAM
Have you asked your host if you could order a dedicated IP address? You could always get your site on a dedicated IP and the emails going out should be going out on your dedicated IP.
That should fix the issue regarding the IP being blacklisted (unless the dedicated IP isn't clean either).

You could take a look at our site if you are interested in reliable email service. I can't post any links as it's against RFD rules, but we can be easily searchable. :)
Directhosting Web Hosting
BigNames Domain Registration
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6770 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
Keep email and hosting separate.

Best commercial email solutions are: MS 365, G Suite (formerly google apps) and zoho (they have a free solution for under 25 accounts). Never ever host your email on your budget shared hosts servers if you value reliability.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2002
606 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't mind the odd issue but when/if it happens I want it to be dealt with asap.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6770 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
Quick_lude wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 9:05 am
I don't mind the odd issue but when/if it happens I want it to be dealt with asap.

Thanks
Like I said, pay Microsoft, Google or Zoho a 5-10 a month and get enterprise quality email together with a few nifty collaboration tools (if you ever need them).

My personal preference is MS right now.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1697 posts
829 upvotes
Richmond
Try https://buyshared.net/shared-cpanel-hosting/
US$15/year for 20 Gbytes with SSL cert and dedicated IP address thrown in. It looks like a great deal - but you might not want to click on About Us and check out the photo of the founder. :)

The main issue with shared web hosting is that your reputation gets lumped together with everyone else who uses the shared web hosting service as far as the dumb bots running spam-blocking services are concerned.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2278 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa
Not too sure about hosting, but Office 365 hosted email solutions works extremely well for me.
As MS partner/reseller i have 5 mailbox pack and use it across multiple devices, service is very stable.
If you don't need software (MS Office), you can get Business Essentials pack for as low as $6/month per mailbox.
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
May 20, 2012
91 posts
8 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I'll second G Suite for emails. And yes, you should always keep your hosting and your email provider separate. Also your DNS service, if you value performance on your website.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2434 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto, ON
van800 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 7:36 pm
I'll second G Suite for emails. And yes, you should always keep your hosting and your email provider separate. Also your DNS service, if you value performance on your website.
This is the best option!

1. Register your domain name anywhere you want.
2. Get a 3rd party DNS host (cloudflare, he.net or similar)
3. Host your e-mail with Google Suite.
4. Host your website with anyone you want.

This way if your website goes down, your email will still work.
And separating DNS ensures the same thing (if your web host goes down, your MX records are elsewhere, so your email will still be flowing without issues).
You can quickly switch web hosts doing this way as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6770 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
I have paid services with both gsuite and ms business essentials for email.

I have to say you get a lot more with Microsoft these days than Google. Lots of collaboration tools, better integration with MS products and less obfuscation for approx. the same money.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2278 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa
ichpen wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:40 am
I have paid services with both gsuite and ms business essentials for email.

I have to say you get a lot more with Microsoft these days than Google. Lots of collaboration tools, better integration with MS products and less obfuscation for approx. the same money.
agree with this.
Having both using MS Office 365 and using it for my own business i have to say they are quite competitive and reliable.
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.