Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 3, 2012
123 posts
21 upvotes
Barrie

Website DIY builder.. Which is best?

I'm not looking for anything ecommerce based. I am no programmer. Is Godaddy good to use for building and hosting? It's like $7.99 a month of something. I'm looking for something very cheap and basic.
PS: Please no pms offering your website design/host services.
22 replies
Jan 2, 2007
930 posts
40 upvotes
Julypop wrote:
Sep 1st, 2015 1:05 pm
I'm not looking for anything ecommerce based. I am no programmer. Is Godaddy good to use for building and hosting? It's like $7.99 a month of something. I'm looking for something very cheap and basic.
www.wix.com
Oct 8, 2010
79 posts
11 upvotes
Wordpress is great as well. A lot of people are using mobile devices to browse websites. If you get the right Wordpress theme, it can be responsive to whatever device you are using without having to do any additional programming.

Buy a web host that comes with CPanel. This way if you have to upgrade or want to change hosts, you can make a backup of your CPanel to transfer to your new host provider.

What type of website are you trying to make?
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just use facebook, google pages or twitter.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4548 posts
485 upvotes
Godaddy is the worst company in the world. Please avoid.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4548 posts
485 upvotes
Buccio wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2015 12:32 pm
Just use facebook, google pages or twitter.
Some of the worst advice I've seen given in this forum. Congrats.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
baz5 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2015 1:18 am
Godaddy is the worst company in the world. Please avoid.
Then what do you suggest is better at the same price with 24 hour support ?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4548 posts
485 upvotes
I don't know, sorry, I don't need 24/7 support (in 99% of my sites) so it's not something I keep track of.
Godaddy is ***** though. They are such a rip off company. It may have improved but their speed on their hosting was so brutally slow it was embarrassing.
And the way they try and up your domain price to $20 or whatever it is, that's so shady, why would you want to do business with a company that tries to over charge, and nickel and dime unsuspecting customers?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6837 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
Julypop wrote:
How critical is uptime to your website? How important is the user experience to you? If any of these are important avoid godaddy, if you're ok with a good degree of downtime, a canned template for a user experience then by all means go with them.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
how important is support to you?
Dec 16, 2012
493 posts
86 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I am also very interested in this. I used to use a Canadian company from out east and never had an issue but lost their info :(

What about websites that can handle online shopping as well?

B :)
Sep 30, 2014
86 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Julypop wrote:
Good experience ever with Hostgator, namecheap and bluehost. Godaddy is cheap but they also provide cheap services on cheap rates. Simply, buy domain and hosting and install wordpress. Then find good looking theme in wordpress directory, install it and you done. its All few clicks job.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1104 posts
127 upvotes
I suggest against godaddy, because of e-mail server issues I had with them. About 10% of email servers are automatically rejected by their servers. They have no explanation why and will not fix them. There are far better options out there for a few more dollars.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
Which other company has a $2/mo plan for the first year then?