Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
3304 posts
165 upvotes

Website help

Hi guys. I'm new to website making and have made one for my future business on Wix. However, I'd like to move it to my own hosting server and can't get the source/html/css files from Wix to do it.

Is anyone nice enough to help me re-create a very simple ONE Page website with no hyperlinks on it? (I can supply all the other image files, fonts etc., you basically just need to code the thing to look like the existing site).

Please PM me if you're interested in helping out! Really appreciate the help.
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1802 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
What's the URL of your current site?
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1802 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
I received your PM. As an exercise, you can do the work yourself.

From within Firefox, navigate to your website. From the File menu, choose Save Page As. Be sure the File Type is set to Web Page, complete.

Now, edit the HTML file. Remove all Javascript (anything between <script ... </script> tags including the <script </script> themselves) except for the following lines which seem to be required for some obscure reason.

Code: Select all

<script servergenerated="true" type="text/javascript">
    var rendererModel = [I]whole lot of stuff[/I]
</script>

<script servergenerated="true" src="SOME_FOLDER_NAME/bootstrap.js"></script>
<script servergenerated="true" src="SOME_FOLDER_NAME/deployviewer.js"></script>
Note that SOME_FOLDER_NAME is an example.

<script servergenerated="true">
    window.define && define.resource('status.structure.loaded', true);
</script>
I suggest that after each change you make, you save and reload the page. If you don't like the result, you can undo the change you made.

Since you're a lawyer, I'll leave it to you to investigate the legalities of using Wix to design a website and moving it to another host.

You've made a good start with your site. At some point - perhaps after your business is established if you prefer - you may want to hire a professional designer to build a website for you. I've heard many business owners state that a graphic designer was "some of the best marketing dollars [they] spent" and I agree.

Good luck with your business!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
3304 posts
165 upvotes
I've tried saving it as a complete webpage. the formatting gets screwed up from the get go i.e. the two boxes with text repeat below the first two.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1802 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
Bother - I didn't notice that. Sorry.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2239 posts
466 upvotes
Here's a handy utility that you can use.

http://www.httrack.com/

I'm no website expert, but I did do my own using Wix and moved it to a different server. You can edit files with Notepad/Wordpad I believe and use CoreFTP to move things around.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!