• Aug 14th, 2017 9:43 am
[OP]
May 18, 2008
667 posts
52 upvotes
Scarborough

Website Hosting Options

Hey guys,

I'm currently locked in with Wix. I realize that it was a mistake (due to SEO problems) and am looking for other alternative options. I own the domain through godaddy (expires in september) and would like to also purchase a custom email. One good thing I like about Wix is how easy the "Online Bookings" is to setup. I can set restricted times for clients to book consultations and it syncs directly with my phone calendar.

I'm not very savy when it comes to website building, so if possible, I'd like a builder that is user friendly.

Please have a look at my website, and suggestions are appreciated;

www.yourCloset.ca
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4578 posts
489 upvotes
Wordpress is fairly easy to use, pretty small learning curve. Or something with ecommerce built in like Shopify. Shopify is even easier.
Stablehost.com is one I often recommend. Use 5JW0EJ5VCG for 50% off. Brings it down to $2-$3/month. I've used them for probably 8+ years with a couple of my sites. Have used dozens of other hosts, but always seem to recommend them for price and value.
Aug 9, 2017
2 posts
Have you made a decision? Wordpress is probably your best bet, as there are so many plugins, which really tend to simplify things. Themes are a dime a dozen, throw your logo in there, some copy, images, and you're good to go.

Shopify doesn't offer as much flexibility, they actually developed their own code. Moving themes around, web hosts, it can be troublesome should you decide to move elsewhere.
[OP]
May 18, 2008
667 posts
52 upvotes
Scarborough
I've heard a lot about Wordpress and will most definitely check them out.
May 14, 2012
343 posts
67 upvotes
MARKHAM
What makes you think wix is bad for SEO? Is it just because of the banner they added at the bottom?

You main problem is you don't have quality content. Your page doesn't even say what area you are servicing..

Spend more time on your content instead of finding another site builder host..
Directhosting Web Hosting
BigNames Domain Registration
[OP]
May 18, 2008
667 posts
52 upvotes
Scarborough
baz5 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 11:09 pm
Wordpress is fairly easy to use, pretty small learning curve. Or something with ecommerce built in like Shopify. Shopify is even easier.
Stablehost.com is one I often recommend. Use 5JW0EJ5VCG for 50% off. Brings it down to $2-$3/month. I've used them for probably 8+ years with a couple of my sites. Have used dozens of other hosts, but always seem to recommend them for price and value.
sequential wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 8:37 pm
Have you made a decision? Wordpress is probably your best bet, as there are so many plugins, which really tend to simplify things. Themes are a dime a dozen, throw your logo in there, some copy, images, and you're good to go.

Shopify doesn't offer as much flexibility, they actually developed their own code. Moving themes around, web hosts, it can be troublesome should you decide to move elsewhere.
I am looking between the different plans, being a custom closet & cabinet business, would the wordpress business plan be beneficial at all to me? The only part that stands out compared to the premium plan is the SEO tools. I've also noticed they don't have custom email domains. Is there another solution for that?
DirectHostingCanada wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:05 pm
What makes you think wix is bad for SEO? Is it just because of the banner they added at the bottom?

You main problem is you don't have quality content. Your page doesn't even say what area you are servicing..

Spend more time on your content instead of finding another site builder host..
I've heard by a couple users on here and marketing reps that Wix doesn't communicate well with google keywords, thus being obsolete for SEO. I've also attempted to contact Wix to upgrade my existing plan to remove those ugly ads and I haven't heard anything back which is a bit of a turn off. Thank you for the advise on adding a service location.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4578 posts
489 upvotes
Wix is an old service that no one uses, SEO issues or not, it's time to get away.
Don't pay for Wordpress business plan. Wordpress is free to use, you just need hosting. Use stablehost like I mentioned above, and you can install wordpress on it. Then you can use your domain email as well.
Don't worry about any SEO tools, they are always crap and they use it to pretend they are adding value.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1331 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Word of caution...if you're comfortable using Wix, you'll likely incur a steep learning curve with Wordpress.
Don't be fooled by the free themes. You'll likely need to pay for a premium theme to get what you want.
Yes, there are free plug-ins that help you accomplish what you want, but IMO Wordpress is a mess.

Talk about an old service...Wordpress is it. But sadly, it's the de facto standard people seem never to want to let go, mostly because it's cheap and there are many WP developers.
Aug 9, 2017
2 posts
Sorry for the delayed response. To be honest, go with one of the big names if you're not looking for anything extreme. I offer hosting (servers are in Toronto), but it's not exactly for those on budget (it's more about performance and about double the cost of the budget hosts). so even Godaddy or Bluehost would suffice. Latency is not really an issue, but if you want to go with someone in Canada, google Wordpress hosting Canada... And look for one that includes cPanel.

Wordpress is built in to cPanel, which makes for easy installation. I wouldn't mind helping you out. Bear in mind, premium themes will cost you $50+ easy, but there really is no comparison in terms of design/quality. It's a great option for your business. Email is usually included with your hosting plan and @yourdomain. Easy setup.

As for what Blindemboss said, Wordpress is the most versatile CMS ever built. It's the most popular (powers 30% of web sites and growing,) it offers the most support, theme updates are always available with popular themes. They're highly customizable. Wordpress is going to be around for a long time, it's free & open source, but its developer created for-profit Automattic, and they're always coming out with great products. Yes, some of the not-so-widely used plugins are questionable, but there are reviews, and frequent updates for the popular ones (seo, web analytics, etc.). And consider the fact that 30,000+ plugins have been developed to date. Sure a few won't be so reliable after years of inactivity.

Good luck, buddy. Let me know if I missed anything.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1416 upvotes
Richmond
Wordpress is a good way to go, but a word of caution: because it is so popular, it is also a target for hacker attacks. You can expect your Wordpress site to be scanned regularly for known vulnerabilities in the core product or in any of the popular add-ons. You must be diligent in keeping the security patches up to date and watching out for unusual behavior. The quality and security of the many add-ons is of course variable, and using more of them is likely to open up more security holes.
[OP]
May 18, 2008
667 posts
52 upvotes
Scarborough
baz5 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:22 pm
Wix is an old service that no one uses, SEO issues or not, it's time to get away.
Don't pay for Wordpress business plan. Wordpress is free to use, you just need hosting. Use stablehost like I mentioned above, and you can install wordpress on it. Then you can use your domain email as well.
Don't worry about any SEO tools, they are always crap and they use it to pretend they are adding value.
Would you mind if I PM you with a couple questions?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4578 posts
489 upvotes
Kaeoue wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:19 pm
Would you mind if I PM you with a couple questions?
Sure, no problem.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4578 posts
489 upvotes
Faith24 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 9:52 am
Wordpress is a good way to go, but a word of caution: because it is so popular, it is also a target for hacker attacks. You can expect your Wordpress site to be scanned regularly for known vulnerabilities in the core product or in any of the popular add-ons. You must be diligent in keeping the security patches up to date and watching out for unusual behavior. The quality and security of the many add-ons is of course variable, and using more of them is likely to open up more security holes.
Good point. They are getting a little better with it. Keep plugins to minimum, keep updated, add security.
I used to have dozens and dozens of sites running and I used to pay someone to check them a couple times a week to make sure either host wasn't down, or site wasn't hacked.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4052 posts
504 upvotes
Thornhill
Siteground is the best hosting I've used and I tried about a dozen. It is FAST and get features that are often found on plans that are much more expensive(eg. SSD drives, more memory,etc). Their support is English speaking and based in Europe and you can call or chat at any time. No need to wait for hours and get connected to Philippines or India to people who don't know anything about support( happened many times).

Wix is horrible and you should run. Wordpress is the best platform and is the best for SEO( I should know...). Wordpress needs Wordpress hosting as it uses more memory. All these scrolling I page sites made via Visual Composer+ plugins can really really slow down your sites. Many cheap hosting providers may not be able to handle the load!
[OP]
May 18, 2008
667 posts
52 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I've made the switch and I'm now working on the design of my WordPress site