Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1165 posts
889 upvotes
van

Website only accepts American credit card

Im trying to order something on a website that only seems to accept an american credit card. I was going to have it shipped to Buffalo for pickup.

The item is pretty much $100 USD, is there any way to get a temporary card, or american CC giftcard?
The website accepts paypal too, but the paypal account has to be amurican also.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
You can try the zip code trick to make your cc billing address seem American but if the website checks if it is an actual foreign card then that might not work. Does the website permit different billing and shipping address?

Take the numbers in your postal code in sequence and suffix two extra numbers so it matches a zip code that is valid for a particular city in the US. Now use that zip code and matching city pair for your billing address along with your actual street number and name, phone # on file with CC provider.
Loose lips sink ships. | His Majesty's Naval Service
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1165 posts
889 upvotes
van
Thanks. Yes they have seperate billing and shipping addresses. Just tried that trick, ended up with 80210 and used denver colorado, but still got the error:
AVS result is declined by user. Please correct AVS data and re-submit.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
Well, the next option would be you create a US based Paypal account using same billing information. I know for a fact it works for Paypal.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1165 posts
889 upvotes
van
Just signed up to a US paypal account with that colorado address. Getting closer.

It worked, but when i checkout via paypal, it makes me add a credit card, and my CC is already linked to my canadian paypal account.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1165 posts
889 upvotes
van
I ended up disconnecting my CC from my canadian Paypal account and linking it to my new american paypal account.
But when i try, it says "Sorry, but your card issuer declined this payment. To complete your purchase, try a different card."

wamp wamp.. I wonder if PC Mastercard can put a secondary address on file (american one).
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
PayPal can be bitchy with trying to reuse a card with multiple accounts. You have another card you can add? Adding a second address will not work. Give a call to PC to make sure they are not denying PayPal small charge transaction.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1145 upvotes
If you have an American Express, the zip code check will definitely work.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1165 posts
889 upvotes
van
I was able to call up PC Mastercard and get them to put my american address as a second address on the card.

Still no bueno with paypal, and still get the AVS error when i try to checkout with my americna billing address and american shipping address. I think PC is declining shit, but the customer rep said it was all good.

I think ill signup to the SimplyCash american express card now. The journey continues
Jun 15, 2015
190 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Why not apply for RBC US visa (georgia) than link that to the US paypal.
Can change your address online with the rbc visa.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
js5566 wrote: Why not apply for RBC US visa (georgia) than link that to the US paypal.
Can change your address online with the rbc visa.
He will not be able to pay that off unless he has a TD account or an actual US account.

I think the OP's best option is to ask a friend with an actual US CC to pay it for him.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Funny enough I'm finding myself in the same boat.

What about paying a US credit card via a PayPal account? Some online retailers in the US filter credit cards via the first six digits of the card (which determine which financial institution it's from), so I wouldn't even be able to pay via a US PayPal account. Any chance of acquiring a US credit card, linking it to a PayPal account (US or Canada) and paying the card via PayPal? Also, any chance of acquiring a credit card from a US financial institution easily without a SSN? I guess best option would be at a local bank?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11664 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
titaniumtux wrote: Funny enough I'm finding myself in the same boat.

What about paying a US credit card via a PayPal account? Some online retailers in the US filter credit cards via the first six digits of the card (which determine which financial institution it's from), so I wouldn't even be able to pay via a US PayPal account. Any chance of acquiring a US credit card, linking it to a PayPal account (US or Canada) and paying the card via PayPal? Also, any chance of acquiring a credit card from a US financial institution easily without a SSN? I guess best option would be at a local bank?
You can get an RBC US based bank account and credit card right here in Canada.
Of course that would require having a CAD account with them too so you can fund the US account.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1165 posts
889 upvotes
van
titaniumtux wrote: Funny enough I'm finding myself in the same boat.

Yep that could probably work, paying off the US card with a paypal account.

In the end, i just ended up getting another site to price match and they took my PC Mastercard (canadian) since i had buffalo put in as my secondary billing address.
I have an American Express card coming in the mail, but then i gotta bring it to a post office to validate my ID and it just ends up taking too much time.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
coolintheshade wrote: You can get an RBC US based bank account and credit card right here in Canada.
Of course that would require having a CAD account with them too so you can fund the US account.
I tried with the TD US dollar VISA credit card, no dice. If they can tell from the first six digits of the credit card that it's from a non-US bank, they reject it.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11664 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
titaniumtux wrote: I tried with the TD US dollar VISA credit card, no dice. If they can tell from the first six digits of the credit card that it's from a non-US bank, they reject it.
A TD US dollar visa is not the same thing.
The one from RBC is a US based bank account and credit card issued by RBC Bank US branch, on behalf of RBC Royal Bank Canada.
You can transfer money from your RBC Canada account to the RBC Bank US account and pay US bills through it which you cannot do from a Canadian bank account.
The credit card They give you as part of the package is also US based.
The US dollar credit cards that the Canadian banks offer are not US based, they are only US funds credit cards.
RBC offers actual US products issued by their US RBC Bank.

See here
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cross-borde ... ndex2.html
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1165 posts
889 upvotes
van
That sounds like the way to go. Is it free though with no annual fees?
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11664 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
kingkelly wrote: That sounds like the way to go. Is it free though with no annual fees?
No idea.
Read the link. All the info is in there.
I only found out about this after receiving an email from RBC, as I currently bank with them.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
I had an issue a month ago when trying to book a flight at United Airlines website. I wanted to have the price in USD because it was $200 cheaper (I have not idea why when chosing CAD was $200 more expensive and of course was not related to the exchange rate). Well, every time I entered my credit card billing address, the price switched automatically to CAD. At the end of the day, I just typed any valid US billing address and it went through !!! (So they don't verify if it matchs) .Btw I used AMEX.
Now, I didn't care about the "shipping address" as it was a flight, so if you are buying an item it may works only if you can use a Canadian shipping address and a US billing address.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
coolintheshade wrote: A TD US dollar visa is not the same thing.
The one from RBC is a US based bank account and credit card issued by RBC Bank US branch, on behalf of RBC Royal Bank Canada.
You can transfer money from your RBC Canada account to the RBC Bank US account and pay US bills through it which you cannot do from a Canadian bank account.
The credit card They give you as part of the package is also US based.
The US dollar credit cards that the Canadian banks offer are not US based, they are only US funds credit cards.
RBC offers actual US products issued by their US RBC Bank.

See here
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cross-borde ... ndex2.html
This is really cool. Any way for Canadians to get the RBC US credit card as a stand-alone?
iamthebest wrote: I had an issue a month ago when trying to book a flight at United Airlines website. I wanted to have the price in USD because it was $200 cheaper (I have not idea why when chosing CAD was $200 more expensive and of course was not related to the exchange rate). Well, every time I entered my credit card billing address, the price switched automatically to CAD. At the end of the day, I just typed any valid US billing address and it went through !!! (So they don't verify if it matchs) .Btw I used AMEX.
Now, I didn't care about the "shipping address" as it was a flight, so if you are buying an item it may works only if you can use a Canadian shipping address and a US billing address.
Nice one, thank you for sharing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)