• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1043 posts
25 upvotes

Wedding photographer no longer responding

Our wedding was approx 20 weeks ago. The photographer had originally said 12 weeks. When that timeline passed, we had called just to get a update around week 14. They had said they were a couple weeks behind schedule. Now they don't return emails, phone calls or texts. They are active on social media as well, we haven't reached out through that though.

We really just want our photos, but unsure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
64 replies
May 5, 2010
814 posts
214 upvotes
I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you paid in full? If not, maybe you can do some leverage with that. Also, is there a writing contract stating the 12 weeks for delivery?
If not, tell them that if they don't answer you back, you'll write honest reviews about them all over the place, like their Facebook page.

I don't like telling people to threat small businesses but 8 weeks late with no replies, that's just not professional.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7968 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
Verbal contract or Paper Contract? Kindly tell them you are going to small claims court to get your money back if you don't hear from them. Get their balls moving instead of taking more projects.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1043 posts
25 upvotes
We do have a paper contract. We owed them the final balance on the day of the wedding, so yes paid in full. For the twelve weeks I'll double check the contract but when we sat down that's the timeline she told us verbally (hopefully it's backed up in the contract).

We really don't want to get on their bad side as we just want the photographs....
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3992 posts
473 upvotes
Thornhill
FreeSpinnz wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:23 pm
We do have a paper contract. We owed them the final balance on the day of the wedding, so yes paid in full. For the twelve weeks I'll double check the contract but when we sat down that's the timeline she told us verbally (hopefully it's backed up in the contract).

We really don't want to get on their bad side as we just want the photographs....
That what happens when you hire amateurs. Your story is not unique. There was another photographer here on RFD who was doing the same... Drive to them to check what's up ---> send a few warning emails then I really suggest going to small claims court. They are acting extremely unprofessional and broke the contract. You deserve compensation at the very least. You should also leave a negative review regardless. This will help any potential clients these "photographers" are scamming. A friend of mine in NYC went through the same thing,but was able to recover the images and got $5000 compensation through the court. Their excuse was - "they did not pay us enough and we were busy with life and work and had not time to respond for 3 months since we have 9-5 job".
Again, this behavior is not professional at all and these businesses(regardless of their nature) should not be in business

Also, please post the name of this studio here. It will do a lot of good for potential brides who may be looking into hiring them
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3833 posts
1092 upvotes
Calgary
Post on the studio's Facebook asking nicely for your photos (do not criticize, ask nicely and compliment them). If the photographer does not reply and / or deletes your post, you know you have a scammer on your hand and need to start pursing action. Point out clearly from the contract that they are now in violation, give them a few days, and pursue in small claims court.

If that happens post their studio name, both on the title and here. I hate when photographers act unprofessionally. There was one who did this here a few years ago, very reputable at the time, and his love relationship went sour and decided to take it out on his clients.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1043 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks everyone I will try reaching out via social media. Unfortunately in the contract it doesn't have a timeline of when they will deliver the photos... Something that my wife and I missed. The 12 week commitment was verbal when we all sat down to finalize our wedding.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1012 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
As a last resort, I would ask the photographer for the files.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4603 posts
154 upvotes
I got my wedding photos 1 week after, we had two shooters and 12 hours of coverage. Your guy is an amateur.
Aug 1, 2010
735 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
Oni-kun wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 4:02 pm
I got my wedding photos 1 week after, we had two shooters and 12 hours of coverage. Your guy is an amateur.
There is no way for me to deliver 1 week later to be honest, I usually take about 2 months
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4603 posts
154 upvotes
aerok wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 4:14 pm
There is no way for me to deliver 1 week later to be honest, I usually take about 2 months
Yeah I dunno how my guy does it but it came quick and we were happy with it. A few friends used him too and got theirs quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7324 posts
483 upvotes
If it's not in the contract, that is a miss on your side and the photographer as well (very sketch). However, this is also unprofessional on their end to have a verbal agreement and then not even come close to that date.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2141 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
That's a Bummer. There's light at the end of the tunnel thought! Most weddings are wrapped up by now (too cold). Your photographer is probably putting the final touches to your wedding and you should get them very soon.

Honestly, turnaround varies from photographer to photographer. There isn't really an industry standard. It's possible to get your pictures in 1 month - you never know how much time a photographer spends within that time. They can be hard working and spend 5-10 hours a week. But 5 months is a long time. Did a freelancer shoot your wedding or studio?

The next thing you should try is this - tell them you're ready to pay them the final balance in person. Hopefully, they are willing to meet in person and you can get all the answers you want from them.
you can't link to your professional website
Toronto Wedding Photographer
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9849 posts
4226 upvotes
Southern Ontario
zero_2003 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 12:09 pm
That's a Bummer. There's light at the end of the tunnel thought! Most weddings are wrapped up by now (too cold). Your photographer is probably putting the final touches to your wedding and you should get them very soon...
You'd hope, or they're deep into Xmas minis, have a bunch of fall projects to edit.

I can honestly edit a whole wedding in 2-3 straight days but I won't for the sake of quality. The timeline suggests OP's wedding was in May, c'mon, deliver already!
May 5, 2010
814 posts
214 upvotes
I hope you get your pictures OP!

As long as it is not my biggest fear when I take pictures with a camera with single SD slot...