Art and Photography

Wedding photographer no longer responding

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 11:25 pm
May 23, 2017
248 posts
64 upvotes
I got my wedding photos (1168 images) and video (5 minute trailer, separate speeches and 20 minute overall movie as well as all the raw footage) completely edited and finished and picked up in 10 days. The photographer and videographer travelled from Mississauga to Grimsby, were on time and amazingly professional. If anyone wants their info, let me know. Also, they were cheaper then any other options that I had, very VERY pleased. And no, I have no affiliation with them, I am just a satisfied customer.
Apr 19, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:24 am
I got my wedding photos (1168 images) and video (5 minute trailer, separate speeches and 20 minute overall movie as well as all the raw footage) completely edited and finished and picked up in 10 days. The photographer and videographer travelled from Mississauga to Grimsby, were on time and amazingly professional. If anyone wants their info, let me know. Also, they were cheaper then any other options that I had, very VERY pleased. And no, I have no affiliation with them, I am just a satisfied customer.
If you could share their info that would be appreciated. Thanks.
May 23, 2017
248 posts
64 upvotes
asong8551207588 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:18 pm
If you could share their info that would be appreciated. Thanks.
The photographers name is Robert Wood

Romantic Memories
Video & Photography
168 Queen Street South
Suite 213
Mississauga ( Streetsville ), Ontario
L5M 1K8
416-801-2128
www.rmvp.ca

Also just to let you know, they provided 3 blurays of the final videos, a bluray of the raw footage. They also provided the photos on a USB key as well as copied all the files (video/photo) to an external hard drive that I brought with me. I am more then happy with the way they handled all of my questions with their fast responses. Also the day of our wedding they arrived before the scheduled time to plan out the photos and took lots of nice exterior shots. They also had great suggestions for many different shots and were so easy to work with. I would 100% recommend their service!
Apr 19, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:48 am
The photographers name is Robert Wood

Romantic Memories
Video & Photography
168 Queen Street South
Suite 213
Mississauga ( Streetsville ), Ontario
L5M 1K8
416-801-2128
www.rmvp.ca

Also just to let you know, they provided 3 blurays of the final videos, a bluray of the raw footage. They also provided the photos on a USB key as well as copied all the files (video/photo) to an external hard drive that I brought with me. I am more then happy with the way they handled all of my questions with their fast responses. Also the day of our wedding they arrived before the scheduled time to plan out the photos and took lots of nice exterior shots. They also had great suggestions for many different shots and were so easy to work with. I would 100% recommend their service!
Thanks so much for the info and sharing your experience!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1669 posts
390 upvotes
North York
I don't think I've ever seen so many dutch angles in a wedding portfolio before.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2955 posts
254 upvotes
thericyip wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:28 pm
I don't think I've ever seen so many dutch angles in a wedding portfolio before.
The photography business is in trouble if this is considered good. Price, speed, quality: choose two.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
May 23, 2017
248 posts
64 upvotes
thericyip wrote:
I understand what you are saying about their online portfolio, for my wedding though, funny enough, there are zero photos with dutch angles. For our wedding we had one guy shooting it and another doing video. I have a feeling that the online portfolio are shots from the owner Robert, who at our wedding was doing the video.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3833 posts
1092 upvotes
Calgary
thericyip wrote:
neltron3030 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 8:42 am
The photography business is in trouble if this is considered good. Price, speed, quality: choose two.
I understand that it's easy to judge the quality of another photographer and I certainly do the same, I don't think it is fair to the photographer, and not good tact to criticize from afar. They did their job professionally, and the client was happy; whether the quality is up to snuff is determined by the client. I see soccer mom types who pick up a camera and keep it on auto, add some instagram filters for wedding photos call it artistic and somehow get paid 1500$ all the time, this one is not nearly at that level.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Haven’t looked at Eric’s but Neil is artistically and technically superior, that’s not subjective, that’s from someone who studies every aspect of wedding photography, looks at hundreds of portfolios, does weddings myself, and constantly deconstructs images. I have no affiliation with Neil and don’t know him personally.

You get what you pay for. But like you said, if the customer is happy it’s all that counts, just I can tell the above is average at best considering photogs portfolio their best work. It reflects in the price and I understand people have budgets.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3833 posts
1092 upvotes
Calgary
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 11:23 am
Haven’t looked at Eric’s but Neil is artistically and technically superior, that’s not subjective, that’s from someone who studies every aspect of wedding photography, looks at hundreds of portfolios, does weddings myself, and constantly deconstructs images. I have no affiliation with Neil and don’t know him personally.

You get what you pay for. But like you said, if the customer is happy it’s all that counts, just I can tell the above is average at best considering photogs portfolio their best work. It reflects in the price and I understand people have budgets.
Neil is definitely better in all aspects, as is Eric (I am pretty sure I have seen his stuff posted). I also know the posted photographer is average to below average in technical and artistic sense, and I am far better myself. I think most photographers who have gone past the beginner and amateur side will see the portfolio and understand that. It's one thing to think it though, and another one to actively criticize another photographer on their technical skills who is not aware of it, that was referenced positively by another rfd user where it is not warranted. People can decide for themselves if the posted photographer is one for their wedding. Someone looking for a wedding photographer at a certain budget will not necessarily be able to afford a Neil or a Dimitre, and that particular photographer may fall in their range, and some people (not me!) actually look for dutch angles, high contrast, instagram filters in their shots. My wife's friend booked a low cost photographer with bad instagram filters all over her portfolio for her wedding instead of myself on a discount, and the photos are cringe worthy, the wedding ceremony shots were unfocused and blurry, but I won't go and criticize publicly or ever tell the bride and groom my opinion. The bride and groom were happy with them.

Let's stay positive here folks. It's simply bad mojo to criticize other photographers (especially ones who don't deserve it and have not asked for it) as another photographer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
No, it’s not cool to be overly critical of somebody else’s work but there’s being subjective and objective, and I think it’s ok for the consumer to be made aware of objective differences and faux pas’ in the industry. Getting married is not something you do often and it’s not cheap.

I’m far from perfect but I mostly know how something is created and lit. Unless it’s pointed out to an observer, they might not see that in a photog’s portfolio, exposure isn’t optimal, white balance is all over the place, skin tones are muddy, phantom hands coming out of nowhere, foreshortening of limbs, etc etc... things that should be elementary at wedding level photography. It’s supposed to be their best work.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3833 posts
1092 upvotes
Calgary
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 2:52 pm
Unless it’s pointed out to an observer, they might not see that in a photog’s portfolio, exposure isn’t optimal, white balance is all over the place, skin tones are muddy, phantom hands coming out of nowhere, foreshortening of limbs, etc etc... things that should be elementary at wedding level photography. It’s supposed to be their best work.
Your average client will not know anything about white balance, rule or thirds or care. All some people care about is that they have a photo of them and their family with a green blue filter like they saw on instagram, and some artistic black and white shot at angles, and that this photographer can do it and costs 1000$ less than someone else that takes photos. A photo is a photo after all to some.

It's like pointing out to someone that the food at Olive Gardens that they like is poor quality. You can't change the world of mediocrity.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Firebot wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 4:04 pm
Your average client will not know anything about white balance, rule or thirds or care. All some people care about is that they have a photo of them and their family with a green blue filter like they saw on instagram, and some artistic black and white shot at angles, and that this photographer can do it and costs 1000$ less than someone else that takes photos. A photo is a photo after all to some.

It's like pointing out to someone that the food at Olive Gardens that they like is poor quality. You can't change the world of mediocrity.
Surely if you shoot weddings, you don't think that yourself!

It's not the technical phrases customers care about, you explain it like a medical professional who talks to a patient in layman terms.

If you shoot images to be printed as wall art, you know that exposure and white balance needs to be consistent in frames next to each other. You can re-word that any way you want to someone who knows nothing about photography.

Even B&W's, the tones should be the same. Most people have no idea you can't just flip the Lightroom switch to B&W and it's done, there's specific adjustments and a good photog's B&W's all look alike.

Wedding posing is huge, traditional male/female aside, you strengthen your dominant subject and flatter the other one. It's a science whether Sue Bryce or Roberto Valenzuela teaches it, and it becomes 2nd nature the more you practice it as a professional. This is a chart that's ingrained in my head from Roberto's book:

People also have no idea the best orchestrate their candids. See Jerry's cigar shot.

Watch his jokes, they're deliberate before the shot, so is telling the group to pretend they are laughing and asking to make the sound so it looks authentic at 1:08...

I could go on and on. Does the customer care how you do it? Of course not, but there are CLEAR differences if you understand and work in the industry.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your point people have budgets and there's nothing wrong with that. And some people just want a set of photos they can share on social media, maybe a basic coffee table book, nothing more.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3833 posts
1092 upvotes
Calgary
I understand everything you said there. I have my own critiques of each photographer I see pictures from, good or bad. I admire some and strive to achieve the same, others I shake my head that people actually paid for.

My point was someone referenced a photographer here for their professionalism and quick turnaround. The customer was very satisfied with them, that should be all there is to it. Criticizing the photographer's technical skills and portfolio when it has no relevance to the photographer's professionalism in satisfying this customer achieves no purpose. It's clear that to the customer, price point was a big sell, and they were happy with what they got. Pointing out that one of their photos may have a blue tinge, or is a little crooked, or the photographer's portfolio and may not be 'what you should get in a professional photographer' the customer will not care and dismiss. The OP's photographer could be the best photographer in Toronto, but their lack of professionalism is what has been discussed. Everyone agrees that the photographer was unprofessional, and no photo was ever seen.

And no I don't think photo is a photo, but a customer might.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Firebot wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 6:34 pm
I understand everything you said there. I have my own critiques of each photographer I see pictures from, good or bad. I admire some and strive to achieve the same, others I shake my head that people actually paid for.

My point was someone referenced a photographer here for their professionalism and quick turnaround. The customer was very satisfied with them, that should be all there is to it. Criticizing the photographer's technical skills and portfolio when it has no relevance to the photographer's professionalism in satisfying this customer achieves no purpose. It's clear that to the customer, price point was a big sell, and they were happy with what they got. Pointing out that one of their photos may have a blue tinge, or is a little crooked, or the photographer's portfolio and may not be 'what you should get in a professional photographer' the customer will not care and dismiss. The OP's photographer could be the best photographer in Toronto, but their lack of professionalism is what has been discussed. Everyone agrees that the photographer was unprofessional, and no photo was ever seen.

And no I don't think photo is a photo, but a customer might.
Yes, I agree, but ONLY to riseagainst.

I think it's very important that customers understand their choices, this goes for anything people buy. Maybe asong8551207588 is fine with rvmp's work, or maybe his eyes are now more open to the differences. He's not the same customer as riseagainst. Nor are any other lurkers in this thread.

Both Eric and Neil have points that DO serve a purpose. That there's better wedding photography out there. I go further as to objectively explain why.

It's no different than a Hot Deals thread, poster #2 and #3 seem to shoot off the hip to say another more costly product is better, then poster #4 elaborates. It's useful info. Does that mean I'll buy the more expensive product or I care about those differences? Maybe, maybe not, however, at least I understand my choices.