Wedding photographer no longer responding

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:14 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11097 posts
2502 upvotes
Montréal
Take it from 1 layman, I may not know the technicalities of photography but I *definitely* can determine quality and know if one artist is better than another.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1200 posts
499 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 7:38 pm
Yes, I agree, but ONLY to riseagainst.

I think it's very important that customers understand their choices, this goes for anything people buy. Maybe asong8551207588 is fine with rvmp's work, or maybe his eyes are now more open to the differences. He's not the same customer as riseagainst. Nor are any other lurkers in this thread.

Both Eric and Neil have points that DO serve a purpose. That there's better wedding photography out there. I go further as to objectively explain why.

It's no different than a Hot Deals thread, poster #2 and #3 seem to shoot off the hip to say another more costly product is better, then poster #4 elaborates. It's useful info. Does that mean I'll buy the more expensive product or I care about those differences? Maybe, maybe not, however, at least I understand my choices.
just to be clear, the photos that I had looked nothing like the ones in the portfolio on the website. He ended up shooting video and another person shot the photos. If I got what was on the site I wouldnt be happy either, but what we got was very nice shots. I know a bit about lightroom and photoshop and picked a few good ones and edited them. I printed a huge canvas of one of them and it came out amazing. Am I a photo snob, no, do I know a decent photo, yes. For customers like me and most customers out there, they dont care at all about white balance, dutch angles ect, they just want a photo to put up on the wall. My photgrapher saved me a good chunk of money and I was happy with what they provided. Doesnt make them horrible photographer, it makes them good business men with great service and business practices. I bet if you ask the OP they would have rather gone with a photog like mine and got the photos in 10 days then to get a photo with perfect white balance and wait 3 months and have to fight with them.

Have you ever shot a wedding for money? Doesnt sound like it, just sounds like you are a home photographer that read a book and took a course.
Some things are more important to customers and the technical aspects of photography isnt one of them. If you do shoot for money, then you are missing some basic customer service skills by not knowing what the customer actually wants or needs.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11542 posts
5685 upvotes
Southern Ontario
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 8:22 am
just to be clear, the photos that I had looked nothing like the ones in the portfolio on the website
That's weird, they should update their site then, that's how a lot of people shop. I understand you need to express buyer appreciation, I'm not here to offend you. I don't see you in the A&P forum but if you lurk here, I often go out of my way to help my fellow RFDers with their photography questions. There's also lots of great people here who write solid posts, I would say this is one of the nicer subforums.

And yes, I do offer wedding packages at competitive prices, some of my clients are RFDers. I also shoot for a prominent Toronto wedding photographer.
My consultations do not get technical unless the customer asks, which I've had. While you've maybe done this once, I've dealt with a multitude of clients from all different backgrounds. Some don't care at all how I do it, some are into photography themselves, I speak to everyone as individuals and I will explain things only if necessary, in the terms they understand.

This is my gear in a Pelican minus light stands and other strobes, I shoot with two 5DIV's, I have 2nd and 3rd shooters for large weddings, and mainly my wife who is my lighting assistant/stylist who makes sure the bride looks her best all day.

I don't profess to be a top level wedding photographer but I'm in the business and know the differences, if you don't care, that's cool, some do and knowledge is important for decision-making. My couples get free engagement sessions and unlimited consultations after they sign on, I do a lot of planning with them. During the wedding, it's a carefree fun process, I'm not intrusive, I'm a comedian and my wife and I direct when we need to at key moments. Some of my work:

When potential clients see my portfolio and prints in person, what they see is what they get. I listen intently to my couples' needs and we cater in every way possible. My clients mean the world to me and although my contract says 30d delivery, I provide next day sneak peaks for their social media, and deliver the whole package well before deadline. Many have asked me to do followup parties, family portraits and baby pics.

So yes, I am a photographer who practices it, I think lol

If you are happy with what you got, that's all that counts, congratulations and all the best!
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12007 posts
2464 upvotes
RFD
This guy looks like Elon MuskFace With Tears Of Joy
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 12:47 pm
That's weird, they should update their site then, that's how a lot of people shop. I understand you need to express buyer appreciation, I'm not here to offend you. I don't see you in the A&P forum but if you lurk here, I often go out of my way to help my fellow RFDers with their photography questions. There's also lots of great people here who write solid posts, I would say this is one of the nicer subforums.

And yes, I do offer wedding packages at competitive prices, some of my clients are RFDers. I also shoot for a prominent Toronto wedding photographer.
My consultations do not get technical unless the customer asks, which I've had. While you've maybe done this once, I've dealt with a multitude of clients from all different backgrounds. Some don't care at all how I do it, some are into photography themselves, I speak to everyone as individuals and I will explain things only if necessary, in the terms they understand.

This is my gear in a Pelican minus light stands and other strobes, I shoot with two 5DIV's, I have 2nd and 3rd shooters for large weddings, and mainly my wife who is my lighting assistant/stylist who makes sure the bride looks her best all day.

I don't profess to be a top level wedding photographer but I'm in the business and know the differences, if you don't care, that's cool, some do and knowledge is important for decision-making. My couples get free engagement sessions and unlimited consultations after they sign on, I do a lot of planning with them. During the wedding, it's a carefree fun process, I'm not intrusive, I'm a comedian and my wife and I direct when we need to at key moments. Some of my work:

When potential clients see my portfolio and prints in person, what they see is what they get. I listen intently to my couples' needs and we cater in every way possible. My clients mean the world to me and although my contract says 30d delivery, I provide next day sneak peaks for their social media, and deliver the whole package well before deadline. Many have asked me to do followup parties, family portraits and baby pics.

So yes, I am a photographer who practices it, I think lol

If you are happy with what you got, that's all that counts, congratulations and all the best!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3028 posts
339 upvotes
So Zack Arias has this really great eBook about the photo business that is a must-read. In it, he talks about the types of clients people have who fall into one of two categories:

1) those who are educated

2) those who are not

The ones that are educated would be people like art directors, designers, etc. who are know what they're looking for and can distinguish between what is good and bad. Those who are not educated would be most people -- they just want the photos of their kid to be cute and that is pretty much all that matters to them. There are a ton of photographers in the world that earn a living marketing to the uneducated, which is perfectly fine. I am far too critical of my own work (and other people's) to go that route. When I produce images that I believe have 'more' to them, I want my clients to be able to appreciate it. I want them to know the difference between good and bad. That being said, we are all works in progress. Photography and art have no end game. You learn more tools for the toolbox and use them when needed. The more tools you have, the better you are able to deal with different situations.

Lastly, when I work with my wedding clients my goal isn't just to create nice photos. It is about making their experience the best it can be on a very busy and stressful day.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram