None
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2879 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
charltonc wrote: Well it says: http://soyouwanttobearockstarphotographer.com/
and "Buy Gary's Book dot com"

so I wonder if this is real or if it's just a made up story to get clicks..
LOL...this is part of the reason why I'm not a Gary Fong fan...he is a marketing exploiter and can spin everything to make a quick buck...
When I attended his seminar with some other RFD photogs, we quickly realized his photog skills don't matter when you can push and market like he does...

BUT...this is a true story as absurd as it sounds.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3534 upvotes
I'm surprised he doesn't sell Ion-Ray bracelets to improve image stabilization as well :)

SENSEI wrote: LOL...this is part of the reason why I'm not a Gary Fong fan...he is a marketing exploiter and can spin everything to make a quick buck...
When I attended his seminar with some other RFD photogs, we quickly realized his photog skills don't matter when you can push and market like he does...

BUT...this is a true story as absurd as it sounds.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
97 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote: I call BS on the entire story or the guy being a lawyer. The grammar/spelling/punctuation and legal arguments in that letter are awful, this guy would have never passed the bar exam. I would be surprised if the "lawyer" even has a university degree, lol.
You'd be surprised. I've received e-mails from lawyers that had the composition skills of an 11 year old. No capitalization, poor punctuation, clearly empty threats. I'd respond with advice from my lawyer, and they'd start whining and backtracking, still with the same level of literacy. And this was when they were representing themselves.

There are plenty of terrible, bargain-basement lawyers out there who put zero effort into things like this.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2879 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
Astin wrote: You'd be surprised. I've received e-mails from lawyers that had the composition skills of an 11 year old. No capitalization, poor punctuation, clearly empty threats. I'd respond with advice from my lawyer, and they'd start whining and backtracking, still with the same level of literacy. And this was when they were representing themselves.

There are plenty of terrible, bargain-basement lawyers out there who put zero effort into things like this.
+1000

I deal with lawyers in my health care practice daily...some are great as expected...some are just like this lawyer =(
Sep 13, 2003
523 posts
74 upvotes
charltonc wrote: Well it says: http://soyouwanttobearockstarphotographer.com/
and "Buy Gary's Book dot com"

so I wonder if this is real or if it's just a made up story to get clicks..
in the newest blog post he explains how his family was taken for 2500 in 1966... and goes on to say the guy didn't return his dad's emails. Who had email in 1966????
Saga Boy - D Star Boy Crew
Feb 28, 2008
498 posts
33 upvotes
kaiser__sose wrote: in the newest blog post he explains how his family was taken for 2500 in 1966... and goes on to say the guy didn't return his dad's emails. Who had email in 1966????
I know Gary fumbles two trains of thoughts into one, he's clearly a fragmented speaker. But I think Gary blended his commentary on the book "The 4 Hour Work Week" which references not responding to emails, and then he transitions back (Painfully) into his story about his family being taken.

Seems like a really awkward slip by a guy that needs speech training, or at least slow down to collect his thoughts or finish them rather, before he works his vocals and attempts to communicate.
Jan 6, 2008
434 posts
48 upvotes
has anyone seen these wedding photos? likes on facebook count for very little. in fact, it's almost a negative compliment in my book.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
This 'lawyer' is going to get disbarred for filing a nuisance lawsuit, or massive incompetence if not for that. Generally the winner gets legal fees from the loser. How does he not know this?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5392 posts
107 upvotes
Sorry, no FB and no audio. Can someone tell me who claimed the photos were "great"? Was it the lawyer?
Jul 11, 2012
128 posts
2 upvotes
TORONTO
this is ridiculous. Every client is different. your never know what his taste is.some have developed taste, the others have very naive taste. shooting strategy will be different depending of what they want. and they never tell you . there is no logic behind this case. customer see examples of previous works and make a decision.
Feb 28, 2008
498 posts
33 upvotes
"Lawyer" apparently hates the photos but felt the need to post a dozens on his facebook, to which his own friends expressed they thought the photos were "great". This is where the the so called lawyer loses a lot of credibility in his case, you don't post something for review if you don't like it in the first place. And the photographer took snap shots of the lawyers facebook where the friends did express their positive impression of the photos.
sylpherware wrote: Sorry, no FB and no audio. Can someone tell me who claimed the photos were "great"? Was it the lawyer?
Feb 28, 2008
498 posts
33 upvotes
It is ridiculous, no doubt. Thing is sure taste is subjective but the fact the lawyer choose willingly to go with this photographer, he either didn't do his due diligence and reviewed the photographers work prior to hiring(very unlikely). Or he's just an ***** who thinks he can bully his way out of an expensive wedding. Not cool. His claims that the photographer he hired ruined his wedding from bad photos, is eclipsed by his own actions during and after that most likely was what ruined the wedding.
stasbasko wrote: this is ridiculous. Every client is different. your never know what his taste is.some have developed taste, the others have very naive taste. shooting strategy will be different depending of what they want. and they never tell you . there is no logic behind this case. customer see examples of previous works and make a decision.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
Any update on this?
Let's hug it out
Banned
Sep 23, 2012
31 posts
2 upvotes
BEAMSVILLE
Funny story, of course you would check and make sure the previous work was acceptable. Maybe get some portrait shots done separately by them before hiring them for the big day. Best option is to have a friend recommend someone. Everyone knows someone who has had wedding pictures taken before.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)