Wedding photographer/videographer recommendations

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 8:05 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2007
674 posts
140 upvotes

Wedding photographer/videographer recommendations

I've visited a few studios and started getting quotes.
Can anybody please provide some recommendations of photographers/videographers for weddings that are good value?

While interviewing them, what sort of things should I be looking for? I'm not a really artistic person, but since getting into shopping for this service, I'm trying to educate myself on the topic.
Currently I look for:
- have they shot at this venue before
- years of experience
- sample portfolio of photos/albums/videos
- ask what their approach/concept is to good wedding photography (natural vs staged effect)
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7506 posts
543 upvotes
My biggest thing is:

DO I LOVE THEIR WORK. And it's not just the images they show, I want to see an entire wedding shot so i can see the story and the number of images I like. I don't want to base my choice on one photo, I want to see how the day went, how the images all look and the consistency of them.

Second is style, if I like them, what style does it belong to or does it not even belong in any?

Lastly, can be logistics. How many are shooting? Sometimes it's one photographer and sometimes it's just NOT possible to shoot what you want given there is one person doing it all. That does not mean 3+ photographers will get you better photos, it may improve coverage of events. But again, you have to love their photos first and foremost.

Good value is entirely subjective. Some will may as much as possible to get the images they want, some are happy with just the price. In general, you do get what you pay for but in the end, as long as you love your images, the price is irrelevant unless it's out of budget.
Aug 1, 2010
741 posts
299 upvotes
Montreal
Time for delivery and what happens if they pass the delivery date.

I see a lot of couples never getting their photos.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2967 posts
261 upvotes
As a wedding photographer, I think it goes without saying that you have to like their work. Remember that you're going to be with this person more than anyone else on your wedding day, so personality matters. I.e. if you think they're annoying during the meeting/consultation, imagine spending the day with them...

Things like delivery time, professionalism, handling of their files, etc. shouldn't even be a 'thing' but unfortunately a lot of so-called wedding photographers have tainted the expectations of professionals.

Lastly, seeing the story of the images from start to finish is important but understand that not all images are weighted or judged the same. Good luck!
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16380 posts
4996 upvotes
Ottawa
Just avoid any "group" type of deals, as the photographer is likely taking in alot of business and can be slow on delivery.
We made that mistake and while the product was 100% to our satisfaction, we waited over 6months for the main album Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7506 posts
543 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 4:08 pm
Just avoid any "group" type of deals, as the photographer is likely taking in alot of business and can be slow on delivery.
We made that mistake and while the product was 100% to our satisfaction, we waited over 6months for the main album Face With Tears Of Joy
My friends waited almost 2 years.

They had a child by the time they got their album. When we asked for any recommendations her husband gave us their photographer and the wife snapped at him so hard because she did not want us to go through what they went through lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4055 posts
504 upvotes
Thornhill
You get exactly what you pay, no ifs and maybes. You pay $1000, you get $1000.
Also, those generic questions are laughable. They won't tell you anything and photographer will likely roll his eyes. Years of experience can be fakes and most likely many exaggerate anyways. It's not easy to check and I certainly caught a few photographers we met lying about their experience. So what they have or have not shot at a venue. Why does it matter? It's just another few walls. It's not like it's a different city and country where you have to be guided by a professional guide! Concept of wedding photography? That alone makes no sense. You can clearly see from a portfolio how they they shoot. Same goes for number of photographers. You can hire 2 or 4 photographers,but I guarantee you they will not do a better job than someone who really know what he/she is doing and far from the fact you will get more photographs. Last wedding I attended with 2 video guys and 2 photographers they were never even shooting at the same time!! I bet they didn't tell that to the bride and groom! 1 would relax and spend time on their phones while other work and they they'd switch. So what was the point?!

Fine a portfolio with images you'd like to have for yourself then get in touch. Again, you get what you pay for as with everything else so budget accordingly. And evaluate all the recommendations. People love recommending their friends or family members... those often are not the best recommendations. YOU and reviews are the best way to go about it.