Art and Photography

Wedding photography - startup Camera

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2017 7:03 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3368 posts
235 upvotes
just wanted to say cheers to those in the field helping someone get their feet wet
event photog looks stressful and would take the fun out of the passion for me
hats off to those who put in 110% to get to where they're today
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
True, very appreciable to see photog giving advises in detail for someone like me :)
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2429 posts
390 upvotes
Ditto on the event photography, look for birthday parties, dinner parties, galas, corporate gigs etc. If you really need to get your feet wet, email charity events and community groups. Look around websites and if you see their event photos are awful, send them a friendly email.

Start small! Especially if you're not ready to gear up for weddings. Two DX bodies are fine for events, and all events care about is having photos better than blurry crooked smartphone snaps.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9318 posts
3510 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Lowlight events can be very daunting to properly light individuals and more so groups, and also getting the white balance right.

You may be up against walls/ceilings that aren't white so you can't bounce off them, tall ceilings that are too far away to bounce, and importantly various artificial light temperatures you may need to counteract with gels. As soon as you are dealing with human-made light, you have the added complexity of non-daylight balanced sources. Otherwise people or worse, parts of people look properly exposed with true skin tones while other parts of them or other people are not the same exposure, and commonly the background is muddy orange. The key is to get your ambient exposure and WB correct, then light people properly matching it.

If you don't get it right in camera, it can be a nightmare to fix in post, and you need some decent knowledge of Lightroom to know how to apply custom WB, rads and grads. Remember post processing is a lot more fun and you'll spend less time when you embellish rather than need to correct.

You should start by mastering natural light photography which also requires understanding light as you do not get to choose golden hour to shoot all your wedding pics. Often you are shooting in midday sun and light direction exists in shade too. The trick is look at your hand and do a 360, watch how the shadows fall. You want the most flattering soft light on your subjects. Look for natural reflectors like light concrete and dirt. If you have limited backgrounds and poor lighting, you may need to use scrims, reflectors, or a remote flash (yes, in broad daylight) but imho natural looks best. In the words of Roberto Valenzuela, your subjects should be one to all of these, "are they the biggest, brightest, in focus?", if not, then fix it.

Ideally, take courses, it's not easy and it will take longer to figure it all out by yourself with trial and error.

As mentioned, once you know your camera, posing, lighting, outside and inside, and you're used to the pace, your stress level will be way down, and you can concentrate on being creative.

Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2429 posts
390 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:49 am

If you don't get it right in camera, it can be a nightmare to fix in post, and you need some decent knowledge of Lightroom to know how to apply custom WB, rads and grads. Remember post processing is a lot more fun and you'll spend less time when you embellish rather than need to correct.
Convert to B/W, add "grain". Fixed :)
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
What software you use for photo editing? I used to do editing with Picasa on my computer. It was free, I used to edit my siblings wedding photos and university photographs.
Now, in course I am taking they have briefly explained photoshop and lightroom.

What I understood, you can edit multiple photos together in lightroom (copy and paste ediitings). Have not looked at their prices to compare yet, but what you guys prefer?

Also, do you take photos in RAW, NEF or JPEG. I have learnt that you can do more editing in terms of color in RAW files, correct? These files are super heavy though. You might need 64GB memory cards for a small event?
Last edited by Tbik78 on Aug 9th, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9318 posts
3510 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I briefly mentioned posing and it cannot be neglected. Most people are not professional models, they do not know to pose.

A few tidbits, in a good picture arms are never at right angles, it's an unnatural position. Hands will always be relaxed. If you draw a line with the noses, they always cross with an X. You should never see a hand pop out of nowhere, that's called phantom hands lol. People are posed right down to where they look. Done properly, it doesn't look contrived. I could go on and on, better for you to read a book and/or take a course.

An easy thing to do is to pose with direction, tell a couple to do an action as you photograph them, it will also look natural.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9318 posts
3510 upvotes
Southern Ontario
bhrm wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:53 am
Convert to B/W, add "grain". Fixed :)
Haha, yes, I've done that on a poor image, but it's also not that simple, you still need to play with the sliders.

Whites/blacks/shadows are different in a BW than a colour photo, for instance you may need to radial a face to make it brighter, deepen blacks, add more contrast than usual etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9318 posts
3510 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Tbik78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:59 am
What software you use for photo editing? I used to do editing with Picasa on my computer. It was free, I used to edit my siblings wedding photos and university photographs.
Now, in course I am taking they have briefly explained photoshop and lightroom.

What I understood, you can edit multiple photos together in lightroom (copy and paste ediitings). Have not looked at their prices to compare yet, but what you guys prefer?

Also, do you take photos in RAW, NEF or JPEG. I have learnt that you can do more editing in terms of color in RAW files, correct? These files are super heavy though. You might need 64GB memory cards for a small event?
Lightroom is the defacto software for editing wedding photography. Yes, shoot in RAW, you then have more latitude to fix and/or be creative. The best thing to do is not go overboard with anything and keep your images looking consistent. Nobody wants their session to look like it was shot by 5 completely different photographers. While you can apply one preset to all your photos, it does not negate the need to correct exposure, fix white balance, clone out objects etc.

Your line of questioning here sounds like you have a ways to go. Don't give up if that's what you want to do!
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
thanks, would you recommend any book/course?

I am reading book "Fine Art Wedding Photography" by Jose Villa.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9318 posts
3510 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Tbik78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:16 pm

I've read that book, it's bit vague and he talks about using his Contax film camera.

This is good for posing, you should practice it so it's in your natural repertoire.
https://www.amazon.ca/Picture-Perfect-P ... 0321966465
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2429 posts
390 upvotes
Tbik78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:16 pm

From time to time there are local workshops for portraiture/weddings.

Taylor Jackson has a great youtube channel, I've been following him for years. Chase Jarvis too, as inspiration on life and creativity, and his little saying "make your idols your rivals".

Jasmine Star, despite her little Twitter faux-pas hiccup years ago, is still a great photog to follow.

Over time you will find your groove and style, but that will also evolve over time. Your gear should evolve over time too, as you'll find pieces of gear you rarely use.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3781 posts
1013 upvotes
Calgary
Tbik78 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:59 am
OP, if you are asking these types of question, I think you need to rethink your plan (though it can still be an eventual goal). An experienced photographer would know the benefits of RAW vs JPG and something you need to understand years ahead of becoming a wedding photographer.

Are you able to post some of your photos or a website?

All the answers in the world from here will not help you if you are not at the level you need to be. Ancaster responded with a lot of info, but his info is a lot more than you need if you might still be at the exposure triangle level.

Get your skill level to a degree where wedding photography becomes the next logical step. Too many bad wedding photographers out there with no aesthetics or even the technical skills to do the work.
Last edited by Firebot on Aug 9th, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2209 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
All good advice here.

As for equipment.. All I can say is get the fastest lenses you can afford (this could mean variable aperture)... and 3 is 2..... 2 is 1..... 1 is none... Live by this... Dual slot and at least two bodies and two overlapping lenses.

Its funny because I found I had way more equipment when I first started out but didn't have the ability to use it effectively... Now.. 10 years later you can hand me a crop body and kit lens and one off camera flash... I could make 95% of conditions work in a pinch.

What I'm trying to say is don't get too caught up with equipment. Ancaster pretty much summed up the advice I would give. Go learn then shoot some more then repeat.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
4966 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 10:36 am
Yes, an AD600 would probably do the trick, I wonder if they're reliable? I'd have to do more pro work to make the Profoto worth it.
I'm using a Rovelight right now on a stand and it's still clunky (forgot to add that to my list which sits in the car too whenever I need it)
I was thinking more of AD360

https://www.amazon.ca/External-Portable ... F2MY7TJGXJ
For Sale:
    Canon C100 + Canon 70-200 f2.8 + ...
Looking for: Sony Camera for video (for a good price)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Oracle1729