• Mar 5th, 2018 11:52 pm
Tags:
Aug 22, 2014
996 posts
472 upvotes
Toronto, ON
stryder1587 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 2:04 pm
Just to update this thread, thanks for all the helpful responses!
We had consultations at Ancaster Mill, Spencers at Waterfront, St George Golf and Country, Old Mill, Kortwright Centre, Arlington Estate, Willowspring Wineries, Angus Glen Golf Club, Oakview Terrace and Guild Inn.
We ultimately decided on Guild Inn because we liked the huge windows backing on to Guildwood Park (good for photos), newly renovated this year (April/May 2017), price was within our budget and within GTA.

The next step is booking photographer/videographer. Any recommendations?

For invitations, we were thinking online (e-invitations). There are some that think you can't replace the personal touch of a well design hand mailed card, while some think it's a waste of paper, costs more and people don't end up sending mail replies anyway and easier to manage RSVP's online. What do you guys think? Are there any good online invitation companies you'd recommend? There are some free ones, but some have ads in them. We want to be able to customize the response options so they can reply whether they attend ceremony only, reception only, or both, so we can keep track.

Thanks!
As Poppwl noted, it really depends on your guests. I'd say half our guest list would've preferred online communication whereas the other half were more traditional (*ahem* older) and preferred printed invitations. We didn't care much about fancy stationary so we opted to print them online using Vistaprint. Just a single invite with details, RSVPs were requested via email or phone.

If you choose to use Vistaprint, they usually have a semi-annual sale in January and July where most products are 50% off. I'd also recommend ordering at least three weeks in advance since faster delivery means higher rates.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8577 posts
779 upvotes
stryder1587 wrote:
We had consultations at Ancaster Mill, Spencers at Waterfront, St George Golf and Country, Old Mill, Kortwright Centre, Arlington Estate, Willowspring Wineries, Angus Glen Golf Club, Oakview Terrace and Guild Inn.
We ultimately decided on Guild Inn because we liked the huge windows backing on to Guildwood Park (good for photos), newly renovated this year (April/May 2017), price was within our budget and within GTA.

For invitations, we were thinking online (e-invitations). There are some that think you can't replace the personal touch of a well design hand mailed card, while some think it's a waste of paper, costs more and people don't end up sending mail replies anyway and easier to manage RSVP's online. What do you guys think? Are there any good online invitation companies you'd recommend? There are some free ones, but some have ads in them. We want to be able to customize the response options so they can reply whether they attend ceremony only, reception only, or both, so we can keep track.

Thanks!
Majority of people don't keep invitations so a fancy one is not necessary. VISTAPRINT is probably your cheapest bet with good options for customization. Prices vary widely and it depends on your formality. An actual invitation usually indicates a more formal affair.

We got 60 invitations (cheapest option) including envelopes for $33 all in.

As for responses, we did them all online - email or website and we did not have any issues. Everyone we knew was able to email or use the internet.
Jan 1, 2017
311 posts
188 upvotes
stryder1587 wrote:

Thanks!
Can you share what were the quoted costs for the different venues you saw and the cost for the venue you booked? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8577 posts
779 upvotes
Guild Inn looks like a great place. Pricing doesn't seem on the cheap side though. I am surprised because based on guest count you provided, this space seems a lot bigger than what you may need. Is this venue shared? Multiple weddings at the same time in different rooms?
Dec 12, 2017
1 posts
Go to Russian restaurants, they will have food, some drinks(you can have your own they will serve it for you), some may include great decorations with a show/live bend, singers.
Many wedding places will rip you off with just place alone; food, drinks, music(music equipment)etc.... is just extra $
Wedding cake is same price is furniture set at wedding venues, try Alice’s bakery if you in Canada, this people are so sweet and understanding, I almost invited them to my wedding.

Hope you have tons of friends helping you out it’s a Big project. Tips for artistic people try YouTube/Pinterest home made wedding table decorations. Same goes for wedding invitations. Make it yourself and then go to printing place. It’s special for 1 and it’s saves 2.
Mar 4, 2018
2 posts
Hey. I was also looking into having my wedding at estate of sunnybrook. We checked out the Vaughan estate. I love the decor and the history of the place. Did you have your ceremony indoor or outdoor? if outdoor, did you find the cars in the parking lot or driving by disturbing? the parking lot was right beside the arbor, did you find the trees enclosed the area enough or where you still about to see the cars in the parking lot. We went in January so it was very hard to imagine the greeneries in the area. We are hoping to have about 100-120 people with dance floor and possibly with a small band and DJ, do you think the ballroom of Vaughan estate is large enough? There is also another big hall downstairs, did you find it disturbing having another wedding right downstairs? One more questions (sorry for bombarding you with questions), how was the food, we were hoping 3 course, were the food tasty and how were the portions? THANKS!
Mar 4, 2018
2 posts
Is there any minimal spending requirement for Thompson Hotel. I have seen some pictures of ceremony on the balcony with the city skyline as the backdrop. It is so gorgeous. The hall is beautiful too. Being a hotel and being in downtown, I was afraid that the price is very high. Do you mind sharing how much the food and drink, venue rental, and ceremony rental was for your wedding? I am hoping to have a 100-120 people wedding. How were the parking? was it expensive and is there an option to pay for the guests? THANKS!
Mar 4, 2018
2 posts
Hi everyone. I am new to redflagdeal forum so I am not sure if I need to open a new forum or just post a quick reply here. I am just wondering if any of you have visited The Arlington estate and if any of you have talked to the owner or got a quote from Arlington. I really like the venue when I visited but the quote we got and the whole process so far is a bit of concerning. I am just wondering if any of you have had same experience as me and what I should do at this time.

After getting a very thorough tour of the facility by their grounds manager, we went upstairs and met with the owner Ramy. I have read alot of reviews online about Arlington where alot of people said Ramy was very helpful and went out of his way to make sure their wedding is everything they imagined. But for us, I didn't feel the same. In fact, I felt very rushed where he quickly gave us a quote and we went our way. The part that was most concerning is when it came to menu and venue cost. When asked Ramy said that their menu is all customizable so there is no physical menu to refer to. He basically asked us what kind of salad we like, but we weren't give the choices as there is no menu, but he named a few types so we quickly chose one. Then he asked what type of meat, so we said we like the option for a beef and another fish. So he suggested their short rib and maybe another option for salmon. Then he asked us one dessert or upgrade for a trio. Throughout the whole process he never showed us a menu, gave us a few choices here and there, and never showed up the EXACT COST for any of the choices. Customizable menu sounds really great, but if I don't know the cost of each dish it is really hard to do budget calculation. Even though he never provided us with a menu and never told us what each cost, he was able to punch something in his computer to give me a quote for a 3 course meal for 100-120 people. After Ceremony cost and tax and all he gave $26,000 for 100 people. The fact that he never showed us or he doesn't have a menu, he chose not to or didn't want to tell us what each dish cost is kind of alarming to me. I don't know if this is just how he does business in general or he just doesn't want to go into detail with someone who has yet to sign a contract. But I am just afraid that once I sign the contract he can very easily change the cost of the dishes because I have no clue what everything cost. Please let me know if anyone had similar experiences and what you think we should do at this point.

We did send an email to Ramy explaining how without a menu we have no idea what to expect. To summarize what he replied it is pretty much in the line of "you can expect whatever you want because menu can be customized to your need; we can do all sort of thing; we can also upgrade all sorts of thing". BUT nowhere in the email was cost ever mentioned. After reading the email I was as clueless as before. For example, I still don't know what are the 6 dishes I am getting for cocktail and what the costs for each dishes are. Because we do like the venue and is really giving him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he is just very busy and didn't really answer thoroughly, we made up a menu based on what the other venues we have been to offer and asked him to give us an EXACT quote for that menu so if we were to choose this after signing contract, that will be exactly what we pay. We are currently waiting for his reply. Again, please let me know if any of you had any similar experiences and what you think I should do in these situations. If you think this is a red flag for a venue.

Thanks alot for reading my essay above lol.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8577 posts
779 upvotes
zhulaan wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 1:52 am
Hi everyone. I am new to redflagdeal forum so I am not sure if I need to open a new forum or just post a quick reply here. I am just wondering if any of you have visited The Arlington estate and if any of you have talked to the owner or got a quote from Arlington. I really like the venue when I visited but the quote we got and the whole process so far is a bit of concerning. I am just wondering if any of you have had same experience as me and what I should do at this time.

After getting a very thorough tour of the facility by their grounds manager, we went upstairs and met with the owner Ramy. I have read alot of reviews online about Arlington where alot of people said Ramy was very helpful and went out of his way to make sure their wedding is everything they imagined. But for us, I didn't feel the same. In fact, I felt very rushed where he quickly gave us a quote and we went our way. The part that was most concerning is when it came to menu and venue cost. When asked Ramy said that their menu is all customizable so there is no physical menu to refer to. He basically asked us what kind of salad we like, but we weren't give the choices as there is no menu, but he named a few types so we quickly chose one. Then he asked what type of meat, so we said we like the option for a beef and another fish. So he suggested their short rib and maybe another option for salmon. Then he asked us one dessert or upgrade for a trio. Throughout the whole process he never showed us a menu, gave us a few choices here and there, and never showed up the EXACT COST for any of the choices. Customizable menu sounds really great, but if I don't know the cost of each dish it is really hard to do budget calculation. Even though he never provided us with a menu and never told us what each cost, he was able to punch something in his computer to give me a quote for a 3 course meal for 100-120 people. After Ceremony cost and tax and all he gave $26,000 for 100 people. The fact that he never showed us or he doesn't have a menu, he chose not to or didn't want to tell us what each dish cost is kind of alarming to me. I don't know if this is just how he does business in general or he just doesn't want to go into detail with someone who has yet to sign a contract. But I am just afraid that once I sign the contract he can very easily change the cost of the dishes because I have no clue what everything cost. Please let me know if anyone had similar experiences and what you think we should do at this point.

We did send an email to Ramy explaining how without a menu we have no idea what to expect. To summarize what he replied it is pretty much in the line of "you can expect whatever you want because menu can be customized to your need; we can do all sort of thing; we can also upgrade all sorts of thing". BUT nowhere in the email was cost ever mentioned. After reading the email I was as clueless as before. For example, I still don't know what are the 6 dishes I am getting for cocktail and what the costs for each dishes are. Because we do like the venue and is really giving him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he is just very busy and didn't really answer thoroughly, we made up a menu based on what the other venues we have been to offer and asked him to give us an EXACT quote for that menu so if we were to choose this after signing contract, that will be exactly what we pay. We are currently waiting for his reply. Again, please let me know if any of you had any similar experiences and what you think I should do in these situations. If you think this is a red flag for a venue.

Thanks alot for reading my essay above lol.
I don't know anything about this place.

But I will try to be practical and honest:

1) If you do not feel comfortable, walk away. If this person did not do his job to assure you and instill confidence, walk away.
2) If you think he is too busy now, imagine during wedding season and if decisions need t be made and you still have questions...
3) Without breakdown of costs, I would be weary. Maybe that is how they do business but with this much money on the line, I want to know where every penny is going. This may also speak to how they run their business, they don't factor in profit within each item so they just do a total. Sometimes fully customizable dishes can be dangerous and this is why just like in many businesses, just giving a set list of options and letting couples pick and choose, mix and match and maybe do small changes is way better that "whatever you like...."
4) I would not choose a venue completely on aesthetics. As beautiful as it may be, food, service, communication/staff, professionalism, parking, availability and cost of course are also super important.
5) Do they offer a tasting once you book?

As for your THOMPSON HOTEL. One search and I found a sample wedding menu, $140 per person for a 3 course meal including open bar.
https://www.weddingwire.ca/hotel-weddin ... 1943/menus
1) As for parking, the only thing I can say is technically you will most likely be able to pay for your guests, just ask the wedding coordinator on how they do it. Tickets, do they stamp the tickets and just charge the wedding afterwards? etc.
2) We had our wedding downtown and the parking was direct access to the venue, no issues except 1 guest who parked in the wrong location but everyone found it easy and it was direct access, underground and parking for us was ridiculously reasonable so we were very happy about that.

For our wedding, the biggest thing we found was food food food, flexibility of the venue on food (chef listened to our feedback when we disliked our tasting and brought us back one week later and fixed it and 100% met our needs), how much they can and will do the day of and communication and their business model and how you pay, deposits, documentation and preparation. The only thing we did not like was communication once in a while between the coordinator and chef when we had questions regarding menu items. Took a while to finalize everything but besides that, everything was pretty much amazing.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1801 posts
461 upvotes
Woodbridge
We had a small wedding of ~115. We had it at The Manor in Kettleby. Its part of the By Peter and Paul's group. My sister-in-law had been to a function there and recommended it. We wanted something a bit different than the stereotypical Woodbdirge banquet hall. It was on a golf course with a lake in front and was quite nice. They have 3 levels and we used the top floor which was a very cozy space for our small group. They had a separate room outside the hallway for guests who wanted to get away from the music for a little bit. We were quite impressed with it.
Jan 1, 2017
311 posts
188 upvotes
jvnanu wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 3:28 pm
We had a small wedding of ~115. We had it at The Manor in Kettleby. Its part of the By Peter and Paul's group. My sister-in-law had been to a function there and recommended it. We wanted something a bit different than the stereotypical Woodbdirge banquet hall. It was on a golf course with a lake in front and was quite nice. They have 3 levels and we used the top floor which was a very cozy space for our small group. They had a separate room outside the hallway for guests who wanted to get away from the music for a little bit. We were quite impressed with it.
Can you share some info on the costs at manor?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1801 posts
461 upvotes
Woodbridge
ProductGuy wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 8:01 pm
Can you share some info on the costs at manor?
$120/plate all in, after all taxes, hall fees, security deposit, etc. Premium open bar, 5 cold 5 hot hors d'oeuvres, soup, pasta, fish chicken and beef, dessert table. 2013 summer Saturday.