Shopping Discussion

Weed strains: Marijuana marketing - spin or science? (aired on CBC The National)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 8:42 pm

Poll: Is there actual science behind the development of each strain?

• Total votes: 18. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

89%
No

11%
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8533 upvotes
GTHA

Weed strains: Marijuana marketing - spin or science? (aired on CBC The National)

When it comes to cannabis, there are a wide variety of weed strains to choose from — but is it all marketing spin or is there actual science behind the development of each strain? With the legalization of recreational marijuana on the horizon, it will be important for people to know what's in their weed.

8 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19502 posts
4650 upvotes
Thornhill
This is a very interesting part of the legalization I've been curious about. There are a ton of strains, and even so, quality will vary depending on how its cultivated.

Do they pick on maximum % CBD/THC? Or will it be based on cost? How will they 'name' the strains?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
3007 posts
338 upvotes
coriolis wrote: This is a very interesting part of the legalization I've been curious about. There are a ton of strains, and even so, quality will vary depending on how its cultivated.

Do they pick on maximum % CBD/THC? Or will it be based on cost? How will they 'name' the strains?
You create it, you get to name it. It gets complicated with different phenotypes.
Commemorative loonie rolls, quarter rolls, 50 cent rolls all different kinds of rolls contact for details. Venetian glass bee $250 plus shipping. 20for20 canoe $30 shipped 20for20 polar bear $30 shipped. Lots of 5 packs loons, toons and quaters
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11828 posts
3165 upvotes
GTA
coriolis wrote: This is a very interesting part of the legalization I've been curious about. There are a ton of strains, and even so, quality will vary depending on how its cultivated.

Usually it's based on strength. But no matter which one you choose, theoretically you should end up spending the same amount of money, as you need less of the stronger one to get wasted.

IMO, the black market will continue and probably flourish even more. Government prices will more than likely be similar to current dispensaries at btwn $8-14 per gram. I get top quality from my guy at about $6 ( granted it's when I buy an oz). No need for people that have a decent contact to spend more money. Only reason would be you'd get to choose from a huge variety, probably 30+ strains from the store, as opposed to your dealer who may have just the one ( or 2/3) type that week.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2013
1397 posts
611 upvotes
EDMONTON
There is of course science behind different strains. There are many different terpenes in marijuana, each with their own scent and flavor profile, as well as completely different cannabinoid makeups which have physiological differences.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2453 posts
1339 upvotes
I think most of it is marketing hokum, with true double-blinded studies most likely being unable to show any difference between the 'strains'. THC content, sure, but not strains.

Additionally I am very concerned that many of the names, such as "Orange Krush" or "White Lightning" are marketing towards children. They should be forced to name their "medication" with scientific-sounding names.

The 'industry' appears to be trying to legitimize itself. Calling their operations "dispensaries". Trying to concoct 'science'-y sounding terminology. Its really unfortunate, because marihuana can be a great substance for some medical conditions.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2453 posts
1339 upvotes
Piddles wrote: There is of course science behind different strains. There are many different terpenes in marijuana, each with their own scent and flavor profile, as well as completely different cannabinoid makeups which have physiological differences.
If this is true, then certainly it would not be too difficult of an endeavor for researchers to test a number of different numbered pre-rolled smishers, with individuals being asked to rank the symptoms of their use. If people rank identical smishers substantially differently, that would be a pretty good indication that there differences in the strains are exaggerated.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11828 posts
3165 upvotes
GTA
burnt69 wrote: If this is true, then certainly it would not be too difficult of an endeavor for researchers to test a number of different numbered pre-rolled smishers, with individuals being asked to rank the symptoms of their use. If people rank identical smishers substantially differently, that would be a pretty good indication that there differences in the strains are exaggerated.
I'll be the guinea pig ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5993 posts
1015 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: If this is true, then certainly it would not be too difficult of an endeavor for researchers to test a number of different numbered pre-rolled smishers, with individuals being asked to rank the symptoms of their use. If people rank identical smishers substantially differently, that would be a pretty good indication that there differences in the strains are exaggerated.
Images
  • IMG_6540.JPG