• Nov 1st, 2017 4:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
They've had this at the produce section in my local Loblaws for almost a year, I think. However, this is one of those fancy, renovated, "cheese wall" Loblaws.

As long as it's still an option for the cashier to do it, I'll rather have them do it. I glanced at the machine, and I think it'll take me longer to go through the screens to select the correct item than it would be for the cashier to do it at the till.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2001
1185 posts
1762 upvotes
jm1 wrote: They've had this at the produce section in my local Loblaws for almost a year, I think. However, this is one of those fancy, renovated, "cheese wall" Loblaws.

As long as it's still an option for the cashier to do it, I'll rather have them do it. I glanced at the machine, and I think it'll take me longer to go through the screens to select the correct item than it would be for the cashier to do it at the till.
Yeah, they've had the "Self weigh coming soon" scales at my RCSS for at least 6 months too (last winter). So soon to them means anytime after now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8253 posts
5753 upvotes
I think I remember my local Superstore having these a couple years ago for produce, it would print out a tag with the everything on it? Maybe it was a test location

I'll also admit to buying stuff at Bulk Barn and getting a shock at the cash, I still buy whatever I took, I live dangerously and don't use the scales
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6251 upvotes
Poormond Hill
carmaster wrote: So my question is now. So let's say you weight and price the product out, if it's too expensive you leave the bag there?
No. You walk around the store and sample it until the price is right. I see this everywhere I shop. People eating bananas, grapes, cherries...Etc. Some times they leave it behind as they are no longer hungry.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
When will they teach their cashiers to read the stickers on produce,identify produce correctly etc so they don't automatically charge you for the more expensive grade when in doubt.
Some grocery stores have a rolodex at hand with items and prices but some don't.
Last week I bought the small beefsteak tomatoes at RCSS which were $1.29/lb.
The hothouse tomatoes were $1.49/lb.
Off course after I left the store and looked at my bill, I was charged the price for the higher cost item, the hothouse although there were no vines and the stickers were clearly on the tomatoes as well.
Another pet peeve is putting the price per lb at the stall where the produce is, but it's cashed per Kg and so your bill shows price per Kg.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Ah ha!! You've discovered yet another deceptive grocery store practice. They love pricing in lbs at the shelf so it displays a lower number to the consumer but ring it up at the cash in kg. why the heck are they still using lbs when we moved to metric decades ago you ask??? All about deception.

Check out bulk food stores. Prices are in per/100g St the shelf so it shows a nice low price. I guess someone told them that advertising macadamia nuts for $20/lb might adversely impact sales.

Paying for bags, self checkout, self weighing, etc. welcome to canada where the consumer does everything for themselves. But wait, raising the min wage will surely mean more staff to help, right?!

gh05t wrote: When will they teach their cashiers to read the stickers on produce,identify produce correctly etc so they don't automatically charge you for the more expensive grade when in doubt.
Some grocery stores have a rolodex at hand with items and prices but some don't.
Last week I bought the small beefsteak tomatoes at RCSS which were $1.29/lb.
The hothouse tomatoes were $1.49/lb.
Off course after I left the store and looked at my bill, I was charged the price for the higher cost item, the hothouse although there were no vines and the stickers were clearly on the tomatoes as well.
Another pet peeve is putting the price per lb at the stall where the produce is, but it's cashed per Kg and so your bill shows price per Kg.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3686 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
theguru wrote: Ah ha!! You've discovered yet another deceptive grocery store practice. They love pricing in lbs at the shelf so it displays a lower number to the consumer but ring it up at the cash in kg. why the heck are they still using lbs when we moved to metric decades ago you ask??? All about deception.

Check out bulk food stores. Prices are in per/100g St the shelf so it shows a nice low price. I guess someone told them that advertising macadamia nuts for $20/lb might adversely impact sales.

Paying for bags, self checkout, self weighing, etc. welcome to canada where the consumer does everything for themselves. But wait, raising the min wage will surely mean more staff to help, right?!

price per lb is biggest pet peeve of mine.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
-----------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
theguru wrote: Ah ha!! You've discovered yet another deceptive grocery store practice. They love pricing in lbs at the shelf so it displays a lower number to the consumer but ring it up at the cash in kg. why the heck are they still using lbs when we moved to metric decades ago you ask??? All about deception.

Dreamrider wrote: price per lb is biggest pet peeve of mine.
And it doesn't make sense that they still do.
Because price per 100g would look even lower if that's their reason.
So why stick to the pound at all. Price per 100g/1kg is all they need.
It's been that way in deli counter in the store for as long as I recall, so why hasn't produce shifted as well?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2011
1479 posts
1678 upvotes
YYZ
I've seen the self weigh scales for the past year at my local Loblaws. They rolled them out around the time Click & Collect arrived. At one of the stores they've sat as "Self Weigh Coming Soon" for the entire time, however the other store has it semi operational. I print the labels, which tell em the item, weight and price, however it doesn't scan at the checkout. If ti does scan, it errors and the cashier has to block the barcode while weighing it. I enjoy it, but I don't think it saves time.
Bell - Unlimited Canada Wide Calling, Intl Text + 6GB of Data - $50
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
aqnd wrote: And it doesn't make sense that they still do.
Because price per 100g would look even lower if that's their reason.
So why stick to the pound at all. Price per 100g/1kg is all they need.
It's been that way in deli counter in the store for as long as I recall, so why hasn't produce shifted as well?
Ah, the old Whole Foods practice. I remember when they first opened and all the produce was priced in $/100g. Looked like a good price until you realize that it's for less than 1/4 of the quantity.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
13inches wrote: Ah, the old Whole Foods practice. I remember when they first opened and all the produce was priced in $/100g. Looked like a good price until you realize that it's for less than 1/4 of the quantity.
Doubt the sheep.who shop at whole foods care about the price. Dream customers....buy into organic hype and completely price inelastic.