Weird Engine Sound

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2019 12:29 am
[OP]
Jan 4, 2019
2 posts

Weird Engine Sound

Hi there,

I live in the cold Winnipeg and I just bought a Nissan Altima 2003 since a month. It was alright then but recently, it started to give a weird sound whenever I start the engine (see attached links, please). The sound is loud after the start then it becomes quieter as the car warms up but there is still a trace of the sound. Also, sometimes I feel it is difficult for it to start. I even need a jump start one time.

I went to check the battery, they said it's ok.

So, can anyone please tell me what could it be?

Thanks a lot

Link 1

Link 2
8 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5008 posts
4308 upvotes
Montreal
Power steering pump. Turn the steering wheel and see if it makes more noise and hard to turn.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10321 posts
9508 upvotes
Oakville
It could be the PS pump.
It could also be one of your accessory drive pulleys in the early stages of failure. So this could be on your PS pump, alternator, idle pulley, AC pullley, etc.
It could be your secondary air pump if you have one.

It's normal to be more difficult to start in the cold, especially if you aren't using a low viscosity synthetic (like 0w30).
Consider buying an intelligent battery charger to keep your battery topped up each weekend, especially if you have a drive less thank 15 min.
Nov 15, 2009
372 posts
55 upvotes
Also check the condition of Power Steering Fluid sometimes they get dirty and it need to be flushed and replaced with new power steering fluid.

There is a hose that goes underneath steering pump that is some time defective and needs to be replaced

Just some area to look at before replacing expensive parts.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10321 posts
9508 upvotes
Oakville
MasterMK wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:32 am
Also check the condition of Power Steering Fluid sometimes they get dirty and it need to be flushed and replaced with new power steering fluid.

There is a hose that goes underneath steering pump that is some time defective and needs to be replaced

+1, it could even just be empty, though that means there's a leak.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2019
2 posts
ottofly wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 8:48 pm
Power steering pump. Turn the steering wheel and see if it makes more noise and hard to turn.
Thanks ottofly for the response.

Yes, I tried today to turn the wheel after starting the car and it makes more noise. Also, the RPM increases a little bit
engineered wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 10:52 pm
It could be the PS pump.
It could also be one of your accessory drive pulleys in the early stages of failure. So this could be on your PS pump, alternator, idle pulley, AC pullley, etc.
It could be your secondary air pump if you have one.

It's normal to be more difficult to start in the cold, especially if you aren't using a low viscosity synthetic (like 0w30).
Consider buying an intelligent battery charger to keep your battery topped up each weekend, especially if you have a drive less thank 15 min.
Thanks engineered for your answer.

These are many things to look at. What would you recommend me to do?

Is it Ok to use a different oil type than the specified by the manufacturer (5W30)?

Can you please name a product for me regarding the intelligent battery charger?

MasterMK wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:32 am

Thanks a lot MasterMK ,

I looked at the power steering fluid level and yes, it is low. I think a little below the minimum.

I could not reach the hose though. However, with my phone flash, I noticed that the little pipe coming out of the power steering fluid tank was wet. Could this mean a leak?

I saw in the manual that I need Genuine Nissan power steering fluid. I searched for it online but I could not find any. Do you know where can I get it or it there anything similar to put in?
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5008 posts
4308 upvotes
Montreal
MohamedS55965 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:47 pm

Yes, I tried today to turn the wheel after starting the car and it makes more noise. Also, the RPM increases a little bit

Is it Ok to use a different oil type than the specified by the manufacturer (5W30)?

Thanks a lot MasterMK ,

I looked at the power steering fluid level and yes, it is low. I think a little below the minimum.

I could not reach the hose though. However, with my phone flash, I noticed that the little pipe coming out of the power steering fluid tank was wet. Could this mean a leak?

I saw in the manual that I need Genuine Nissan power steering fluid. I searched for it online but I could not find any. Do you know where can I get it or it there anything similar to put in?

You can use Dexron III/Mercon ATF in a Nissan for power steering.

If it has not been done before I would replace the fluid using the turkey baster method before you do anything that will cost $$$. Suck out what's in the reservoir then fill it up to the 'cold' mark. Drive around a bit turning the wheel left/right and do it again. Repeat this 4-5 times until the fluid is mostly red. Hopefully this fixes your problem.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1996 posts
2036 upvotes
GTA
I would start by changing the power steering fluid and bleeding the system. You can get the fluid at the dealer, or any DEXRON III transmission fluid. You only need 1L.

I just changed the fluid on a 4-cyl Altima like that recently. I too would suggest the turkey baster method. The service manual says to undo the lines at the rack, but that's way too risky on an old car. Will probably round the nuts or break the line. Just empty, fill, bleed, repeat until you've used the whole Liter.

I've attached the fluid spec and bleeding procedure below.
Images
  • Capture.PNG
  • Capture1.PNG
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10321 posts
9508 upvotes
Oakville
MohamedS55965 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:47 pm

Thanks a lot MasterMK ,

It's normal for the RPM to rise when you turn the wheel while parked. It does sound like the PS is your problem. Hopefully flushing and filling with new fluid fixes everything for you.
If not, you can try to diagnose the sound by using an automotive stethoscope (you can even get by with solid metal bar) and touch it to various parts around the engine to determine where the sound is coming from.

You can certainly go to a synthetic 5w30 oil, which would be an improvement. 0w30 would be even better. 0 is the cold viscosity, 30 is the hot viscosity rating.

Motomaster Intelligent charger is a decent one at about $50 on sale.