Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 8, 2009
14 posts
Montréal

weird install from a bell express vue tech

[IMG]http://img137.imageshack.us/i/antennesurletoit.jpg/[/IMG]

the tech who install the antenna for bell express vue has put the screw directly thru the roof of the shed. it'a not at my house but at a building i own. when i arrive the guy was doing it.

when i mention that's make no sense he said, that how bell does it....

he said that he use special screw that prevent leak... yeah sure i would like to see that in 4-5 years. he also said it's ok since he put it on the side of the roof not in the middle. great i said, only the side will rotten...

finally he removed the antenna, sealed the hole, but still next summer i will have to replace the drilled area. then he put the antenna on a base on the main flat roof with no mechanical attachement to the building, like he should have done it first.

check this link
http://img440.imageshack.us/i/antennesurletoit.jpg/

[IMG]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3526 ... letoit.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/ante ... /w1248.png[/IMG]
12 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18912 posts
2221 upvotes
Niagara Falls
simn wrote:
Nov 8th, 2009 4:12 pm
the tech who install the antenna for bell express vue has put the screw directly thru the roof of the shed. it'a not at my house but at a building i own. when i arrive the guy was doing it.

when i mention that's make no sense he said, that how bell does it....

he said that he use special screw that prevent leak... yeah sure i would like to see that in 4-5 years. he also said it's ok since he put it on the side of the roof not in the middle. great i said, only the side will rotten...

finally he removed the antenna, sealed the hole, but still next summer i will have to replace the drilled area. then he put the antenna on a base on the main flat roof with no mechanical attachement to the building, like he should have done it first.

[IMG]http://img440.imageshack.us/i/antennesurletoit.jpg/[/IMG]

If Bell operates the same way in Quebec as it does in Ontario then the guys who install the dishes are just contractors and therefore want to do it as cheap and as fast as possible. I'm not sure what recourse you have but you could call Bell and see if they can do anything for you.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6224 posts
882 upvotes
It's fairly common for them to put them on the roof like that. I've never heard of any leak problems.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
I didn't know Mike Tyson had part-time job.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7949 posts
1022 upvotes
That is weird. I'm in the burbs and all satellite dishes are mounted on the side of the houses (bolted down into and through the bricks), never on roofs although I've seen stranger configurations.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
87 upvotes
woof wrote:
Nov 8th, 2009 5:57 pm
It's fairly common for them to put them on the roof like that. I've never heard of any leak problems.
Me too. I've had two dishes mounted in that same way, never a leak either. And yes, I've been into the attics to check too.

CM
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19034 posts
1491 upvotes
Your pic link is broken. But I would like for you to explain to me how you expect someone to mount a satellite dish to a roof without screwing through the roof? Crazy glue?

This thing is basically a giant cone and yet has to not blow over in gale-force winds. It has to be bolted down, TIGHT.

The screws will not leak as long as the dish is there.. Now if / when you ever remove the thing, that is a different issue. I am still having trouble in the area of my rood where I had an old dish removed a few years ago. I think I am going to have to get a roofer in as my home-made patch jobs are just not cutting it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Jul 8, 2009
14 posts
Montréal
they had not glued it, it's was screwed with 4 lag bolt in the roof. Im surprised to know this is a common installation, this will leak over time that is almost shure. now they put it on a base on the flat roof of the triplex,

just think about that, you got a brand new roof warranty for 10 years... if the dish is installed that way and it leak in 8 years, do you think the roofer will repair it under warranty? i belive not and do you think the dish tech would have give me a written leak proof warranty, i belive not either.

drilling in the brick is not good too, with time water always find is way and will damage the brick wall over time.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6224 posts
882 upvotes
If the house happens to be oriented the right way it may be possible to mount the dish on the side and get a clear line of sight to the satellite. In many cases however that is not possible because the house next door is blocking the direct line of sight and mounting on the roof is the only option.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7220 posts
600 upvotes
If I did it, I'd screw it in and put some caulking over any seams to try and keep any water out, if I thought it would leak. I can't see a way to roof mount any dish without screws, unless you're bolting it into brick, which doesn't look like an option here.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19034 posts
1491 upvotes
simn wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 11:19 pm
they had not glued it, it's was screwed with 4 lag bolt in the roof. Im surprised to know this is a common installation, this will leak over time that is almost shure.
No, it won't, at least not if done properly. Not until the dish is removed.
just think about that, you got a brand new roof warranty for 10 years... if the dish is installed that way and it leak in 8 years, do you think the roofer will repair it under warranty? i belive not
No, they probably would use any excuse they can to get out of it, just like any other company. Just like my car company will void my warranty if I ever put a non-approved part on it, even if it has nothing to do with the new problem.

Once again, I would ask you how you expect someone to attach a dish to your house without screwing into the roof? Crazy glue? Haven't you ever seen a dish before? My mind boggles at how someone could not know this already.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 7, 2009
780 posts
12 upvotes
I think you are overreacting. A few screws in the roof of a shed made out of particle board? I install solar systems and we probably put 50 holes in a roof during an installation. We predrill and put some caulking in the hole first, but it is probably not neccessary, we mostly do it to comfort the homeowner. We use screws with a rubber washer in them.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
Heynow999 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 7:35 am
I think you are overreacting. A few screws in the roof of a shed made out of particle board? I install solar systems and we probably put 50 holes in a roof during an installation. We predrill and put some caulking in the hole first, but it is probably not neccessary, we mostly do it to comfort the homeowner. We use screws with a rubber washer in them.
No kidding! :lol: I'm pretty sure the particle board walls will rot out from rain/moisture well before the roof does. :lol: