Off Topic

Is it weird/odd for an 18 year old to date a 21 year old?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 11:29 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2019
3 posts

Is it weird/odd for an 18 year old to date a 21 year old?

I was wondering, how is it viewed for an 18 year old to date a 21 year old? Is it considered common or fine? Is the age gap too much?

I was told this:
"i feel like this is a weak answer that’s said too much because it sounds obvious at surface level, but it isn’t really that valid. people don’t magically become more mature at 18 just because they’re legally adults. they’re still in the teenage mindset and either a senior in high school or a freshman in college. if you’re 21, you’re a junior/senior in college and decently separated from a teen mindset by then. by that age your age group is more so people in their early 20s (20-23) and not late teenagers (17-19). the gap in life stages makes it weird. 3 year age gaps don’t really mean much at all when you’re past your mid-late 20s, but when you’re young, it matters because of how rapidly things are changing. a 26 and 29 year old are probably doing and experiencing the same general things with their life compared to an 18 year old high school senior/college freshman and a 21 year old approaching the end of their college years"

So I was wondering, is 18 and 21 weird or not?
40 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17268 posts
1542 upvotes
Woodbridge
Age ain't nothing but a number.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6313 posts
1452 upvotes
18/21 is not scandalously weird, but age gaps when people are younger can be considered larger gaps in terms of overall maturity. So, I would not compare it to 26/29 year old, and certainly not something like 48/51 year old. Basically, I agree with whomever you are quoting.

18 is like just graduated high school vs. 21 is a year away from graduating university. People generally experience leaps of maturity until around 25. I remember growing a lot between graduating high school and being midway in my university program...and again graduating with my first degree.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2019
3 posts
peanutz wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 9:20 pm
18/21 is not scandalously weird, but age gaps when people are younger can be considered larger gaps in terms of overall maturity. So, I would not compare it to 26/29 year old, and certainly not something like 48/51 year old. Basically, I agree with whomever you are quoting.

18 is like just graduated high school vs. 21 is a year away from graduating university. People generally experience leaps of maturity until around 25. I remember growing a lot between graduating high school and being midway in my university program...and again graduating with my first degree.
A few things:

1. Is it comparable to 18 and 15 year old dating?

2. So is it creepy then? Is it like an 18 year old dating a 22-25 year old?

3. How is 18 and 20 or 21 and 19?

4. I understand there are maturity differences but are the gaps large enough to make a relationship unlikely to work out?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39678 posts
3737 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Zainalleck wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 9:26 pm
A few things:

1. Is it comparable to 18 and 15 year old dating?

2. So is it creepy then? Is it like an 18 year old dating a 22-25 year old?

3. How is 18 and 20 or 21 and 19?

4. I understand there are maturity differences but are the gaps large enough to make a relationship unlikely to work out?
Everyone is different. You’ll find out if you break up. Lol...
But i believe there is the mysterious x factor. That is love. ❤️ there is a gap. But its not gigantic. Some people are just a match.
If it doesnt work... you’ll go through pains. And then time heals and you’ll eventually find the one. ❤️
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2200 posts
502 upvotes
It can be a bit weird. But I’d say mostly when you can’t join them and their friends at a bar because you’re not old enough to drink yet...

Happened to me in first year of university many many years ago. I was 18 and my gf at the time was 19. Not a biggie at all. Except that I couldn’t drink at bars yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1279 posts
899 upvotes
Zainalleck wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 5:16 pm
I was wondering, how is it viewed for an 18 year old to date a 21 year old? Is it considered common or fine? Is the age gap too much?

I was told this:
"i feel like this is a weak answer that’s said too much because it sounds obvious at surface level, but it isn’t really that valid. people don’t magically become more mature at 18 just because they’re legally adults. they’re still in the teenage mindset and either a senior in high school or a freshman in college. if you’re 21, you’re a junior/senior in college and decently separated from a teen mindset by then. by that age your age group is more so people in their early 20s (20-23) and not late teenagers (17-19). the gap in life stages makes it weird. 3 year age gaps don’t really mean much at all when you’re past your mid-late 20s, but when you’re young, it matters because of how rapidly things are changing. a 26 and 29 year old are probably doing and experiencing the same general things with their life compared to an 18 year old high school senior/college freshman and a 21 year old approaching the end of their college years"

You failed to say which one is 18 or 21? Is it a 18 yr old boy with a 21 yr old girl or 18 yr old girl with 21 yr old guy? Girls are usually more matured then guys at an early age. But it is not a rule.

One way or the other it is rare that a first serious love is the one that will carry you throughout your whole life. People change. Both of you will keep on changing in terms of needs and likes and what was fine with you when you are 20 might not be fine anymore by the time you are 30 or 40... Moreover, there is a lot of social pressure on couples. Most important is to have similar goals. It makes relationships much easier to handle.

Also check out how much of a match you two are in the Chinese astrology. Try here. Or look it up elsewhere on the web.

Theodora Lau has written an excellent book about Chinese Astrology.
A society with two 'normal' is a society going downhill fast.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6827 posts
1354 upvotes
Mississauga
Zainalleck wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 5:16 pm

I was told this:

Age is a number. Once everybody is over the age of consent age doesn't matter. If you are compatible go with the flow.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4406 posts
155 upvotes
Austin/Markham
My "friend" did it, so I see no reason why not. The issues the relationship had, had nothing to do with age. I think by that age folks are pretty mature. By 18 aren't most kids already entering Univ?
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1592 posts
590 upvotes
Tokyo
Nothing weird about it.

If anything, it’s more common than you think. Most of my colleaguesnarw dating/married to someone much younger (5-10+ years).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9895 posts
4332 upvotes
Toronto
18 is legit.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4445 posts
791 upvotes
You overthinking it. As long as you are compatible, that is the most important. You're still very young. Take your time to find the right person.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5869 posts
3042 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
18 and 21 doesn't even qualify as an age gap IMO. Nothing to raise any eyebrows, that's for sure.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

elizabean