None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2686 posts
185 upvotes
Nations Capital

Weird Win 7 Login Issue

okay, the power went out again last night here. So I turned off my computers overnight.

Turn it on this morning and find out a esata hd is not being recognized. Fine I re-plug it in (I have hot swap enabled) all is recognized and all is fine.

EXCEPT!

I can't boot into windows with that same hd that was working perfectly fine before!

Now if I have the esata hd plugged in. Windows will boot to the login screen, where I enter my password hit enter. or the little button to login, EXCEPT. NOTHING HAPPENS NOW! I can keep hitting enter but nothing happens!

I reboot again in safe mode, all is fine.

So I think since it was the hd that disappeared. Lets unplug it and login. and it logs in fine! I can plug in the hd at the login screen and it will login. But it will not login, if I leave the hd plugged in during boot up anymore.

Anyone know what the issue is? nothing has changed on my end, except I had my computer turned off overnight! I usually leave it on 24/7.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6610 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
First thing, check your BIOS especially boot order. I occasionally experience glitches in this respect. Go into your BIOS, check all is setup and resave/reboot. You can try doing a full BIOS reset to be safe.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2686 posts
185 upvotes
Nations Capital
should of mentioned, already checked and reset, and re-set bios options.
-----------
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7666 posts
761 upvotes
North York
I would go into the Disk Manager and unassign the drive letter from the external drive.

Remove the external drive. Reboot Win 7 and login a few times. Re-attached the external drive, ensure the drive letter is correct (or even move it to the next letter).

Reboot Win 7 and see.

I have seen similar behavior - it was actually slowing the whole boot-up process. Login was painfully slow. It was a WD drive with auto-encryption (user needed to prompted for pw in order to access it, after login).

It would seem, in both cases the drive was not being able to be accessed and Windows wanted wait until the disk could be accessed. (If drive is not attached, no problem!)

Good Luck.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
if nothing else works you might try repairing win 7 even though it is a hassle. hope your ssd isn't going bad.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2686 posts
185 upvotes
Nations Capital
Thanks guys, I really should re install windows sometime as well.

I've been putting it off for awhile, I do have weird memory leak, that I can't find, that eats to 80% of memory within 5 days or so.

My SSD is 96% health.

Maybe now is the time to bite the bullet and do a reinstall.. I still don't want to... as its a PAIN!

I do have a backup on my WHS box, so I could do a quick restore as well.
-----------
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2686 posts
185 upvotes
Nations Capital
a small little update in case anyone else is having or had. this issue.

I fixed the problem by being lazy! and not re installing windows!

actually the problem seemed to of fixed itself till a secondary hard just died on my out of the blue.

I placed the hd with another one and SAME problem popped up! I can't login. and it refused to login at all no matter what I unplugged. I thought my installation was borked.

I finally got into same mode to remove the password my account and create another account just in case. same problem can't login.

but this time, I just waited and waited finally windows gave me an error message to the line of' Logon failure: user account restriction'

I found this on a search.

http://www.computing.net/answers/window ... /2927.html

Rebooted to safe mode again and cleared out my system security log. and POOF like magic I could login again!

I actually cleared out all my logs to be safe.
-----------
× < >