Home & Garden

Weiser lock Smart Key unlearning themselves?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2012 4:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3395 posts
741 upvotes
Paris ON
cubus wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 11:30 am
I've had the same problem, after 6 months with a Smartkey set, suddenly the key wouldn't turn any longer. I just called their support line, and no questions asked, they are shipping me a new replacement cylinder.
+1 Had a deadbolt latch spring die, as well as the plastic locking mechanism of a discontinued handleset. Went to Lowes to find a replacement lock, when the associate suggested calling Weiser. Called and they set me new parts, even though the handlesets were from 1993 and long discontinued. The Weiser rep said that if they couldn't find the parts, they would send me a brand new current model handleset of my choice! Awesome customer support, they really stand behind that lifetime warranty
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Nov 29, 2011
110 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2012 1:41 am
+1 Had a deadbolt latch spring die, as well as the plastic locking mechanism of a discontinued handleset. Went to Lowes to find a replacement lock, when the associate suggested calling Weiser. Called and they set me new parts, even though the handlesets were from 1993 and long discontinued. The Weiser rep said that if they couldn't find the parts, they would send me a brand new current model handleset of my choice! Awesome customer support, they really stand behind that lifetime warranty
Weiser is a cheap lock period. I bought it because I was didnt listen to myself. I have called Weiser in BC and they are sending me two topend replacement locks. When they get here, I will sell them on Kijiji and put the money toward Schlage which I always used for decades and never had a problem. Face it people, how many really need a smart key anyway. Its just a gimic. BTW when talking to the Weiser customer service, they pretent that you are the first person that has ever called them about these crappy locks. The locksmith I went to repair my lock told me that it will happen to all these locks sooner or later. When it does happen, I hope you dont have to get in to your house in a hurry.....like Opps I forgot the stove on.....or damn I just spilled coffee on my white shirt on the way out to an important meeting, it think Ill shoot back into the house and change it....aint happening, my lock is toast. Like I said before, these locks are crap so avoid buying them. Oh forgot one. Hope your kids never get locked out after school.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2789 posts
222 upvotes
Hamilton
hmmmm, still deciding on what brand to buy.

I love the smart key idea because having one key for my front door, inside garage door and side garage door would be very handy. One key on the keychain instead of 3.

Anyone else agree with the statement of bypassing Weiser and going for Schlage instead? If their locks are that much better I guess I could for go the smartkey advantage in favor of a better built product.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
Frankdee wrote:
Jun 25th, 2012 11:35 pm
Weiser is a cheap lock period. I bought it because I was didnt listen to myself. I have called Weiser in BC and they are sending me two topend replacement locks. When they get here, I will sell them on Kijiji and put the money toward Schlage which I always used for decades and never had a problem. Face it people, how many really need a smart key anyway. Its just a gimic. BTW when talking to the Weiser customer service, they pretent that you are the first person that has ever called them about these crappy locks. The locksmith I went to repair my lock told me that it will happen to all these locks sooner or later. When it does happen, I hope you dont have to get in to your house in a hurry.....like Opps I forgot the stove on.....or damn I just spilled coffee on my white shirt on the way out to an important meeting, it think Ill shoot back into the house and change it....aint happening, my lock is toast. Like I said before, these locks are crap so avoid buying them. Oh forgot one. Hope your kids never get locked out after school.
Regarding Schlage locks. Besure to read the lock package before buying.

I noticed that that some of the Schlage locks at Canadian Tire had the "SecureKey" feature, which is the same as the Weisser Smart Key feature.

I think the Schlage entrance lock sets at Home Depot didn't have the the SecureKey feature. Read the packaging carefully to make sure.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2033 posts
178 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 8:25 am
Regarding Schlage locks. Besure to read the lock package before buying.

I noticed that that some of the Schlage locks at Canadian Tire had the "SecureKey" feature, which is the same as the Weisser Smart Key feature.

I think the Schlage entrance lock sets at Home Depot didn't have the the SecureKey feature. Read the packaging carefully to make sure.
As posted above, Schlage discontinued it's securekey line in march of this year. Stores still have some stock of the 'old' locks that have securekey but Schlage is not making it anymore and probably won't support it. Especially since schlage requires you to get their special blue key cut to use the securekey. Probably won't be able to find a source of these blue key blanks in the future.

To the guy who wanted one key instead of three, it's not that difficult to get a lock re-keyed. and usually each store carries batches of locks that all use the same key. so if you go to homedepot to get three deadbolts you can very easily get all three taht use the same key.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5723 posts
509 upvotes
Don't know if it's still true but when I bought my locks a couple years ago the Weiser Smart Key boxes had a batch code label on the outside of the box. All boxes with the same batch code had the same key. So if you're buying a front lock and an identical back door lock find boxes with matching codes and you will have 4 keys altogether, all identical, which should be all you'll need. And they're all factory cut so fewer chances of problems with Smart Key issues mentioned above due to poorly cut keys.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2789 posts
222 upvotes
Hamilton
woof wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 11:06 am
Don't know if it's still true but when I bought my locks a couple years ago the Weiser Smart Key boxes had a batch code label on the outside of the box. All boxes with the same batch code had the same key. So if you're buying a front lock and an identical back door lock find boxes with matching codes and you will have 4 keys altogether, all identical, which should be all you'll need. And they're all factory cut so fewer chances of problems with Smart Key issues mentioned above due to poorly cut keys.
can anyone confirm this?? Because that would make things massively easier. Does Schlage do something similar.

About getting the store to rekey the locks, any idea what they charge for that?

//edit this looks interesting? I wonder how it works.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/schlage ... kit/977431
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2033 posts
178 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
woof wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 11:06 am
Go to home depot and look at all the locks. On top will be a code and it will say soemthing like "match this code on all your locks to ensure they all use the same key". Essentially the locks arrive in batches. I have no idea of the exact number but let's say its 100. Every lock in that batch of 100 will have the same code on the box and will be keyed exactly the same. It is done for this exact reason. So someone can go buy 4 locks and have them all use the same key without having to re-key anything. This applies to both schlage and weiser and has nothign to do with wether they are smartkey/securekey versions.
Nov 29, 2011
110 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Kevinck wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 4:32 pm
Go to home depot and look at all the locks. On top will be a code and it will say soemthing like "match this code on all your locks to ensure they all use the same key". Essentially the locks arrive in batches. I have no idea of the exact number but let's say its 100. Every lock in that batch of 100 will have the same code on the box and will be keyed exactly the same. It is done for this exact reason. So someone can go buy 4 locks and have them all use the same key without having to re-key anything. This applies to both schlage and weiser and has nothign to do with wether they are smartkey/securekey versions.
Correct. You can buy any deadbolt and have them rekeyed if you dont find matching ones. They used to do it at HD for about 5 bucks a lock. I still dont know why I bought Weiser as I know very well that they are crap.....must have been a brainfart or something. Mind you Schlage are not what they used to be. But if you buy their grade "A" locks they are still good. If anyone wants a pair of the dumb key weiser I will be listing them on Kijiji (Toronto area) when they come this week, i will sell them cheap.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4693 posts
4632 upvotes
Toronto
adblink182 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2012 5:24 pm
I'm looking at getting a few of these for the new house. How much do they typically go on sale for? (or do they?)

we are looking at this handleset for the front door.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/weiser- ... ish/922753
Not usually on sale except the normal store wide 15% off any one item type of promotions. When I got this lock (same one but in pewter finish) the cheapest "full price" was at Rona at $198, compared to $208 elsewhere.
Yes, Here's to the few
Who forgive what you do
And the fewer who don't even care.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
According to the store shelf at Rona at Sheppard + Willowdale, there is a 25% off Weisser locks until Aug 31st.
Nov 29, 2011
110 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
25% off of crap is still crap. Whats the old saying? "you cant polish a turd"
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
Kevinck wrote:
Jun 26th, 2012 4:32 pm
I just got a Schlage handset/lock from HD. On the part that says match this code ... it is blank! (No code.)
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2789 posts
222 upvotes
Hamilton
Frankdee wrote:
Jun 29th, 2012 9:26 am
25% off of crap is still crap. Whats the old saying? "you cant polish a turd"
Incorrect! You CAN in fact polish a turd! (Source: Mythbusters) :)
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2789 posts
222 upvotes
Hamilton
What is your opinions on handle locks in addition to deadbolts?

Our front door is a solid door (no glass), and to spruce it up I was thinking about getting one of those nice handleset packs, execpt they all are just the deadbolt with the little thumb lever for the knob/handle. How important is being able to lock the handle on top of the deadbolt?

I want to replace the locks as soon as we move in anyway just trying to decide which way to go.

Any other ideas on how to make a soild door look a little bit better?
× < >