Site Comments & Suggestions

Welcome to the new RFD forums! Post your questions and feedback here.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2017 6:08 pm
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8563 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough

Welcome to the new RFD forums! Post your questions and feedback here.

If you can read this message then the upgrade was a success! Let me be the first to welcome you all to the new RFD forums. This update has been in the works for a long time and we're happy to finally release it for everyone to enjoy.

Why we upgraded
There were a number of things that needed to be fixed or updated and some new features that we wanted to add based off of your feedback but none of that could be done without updating our platform. So we decided to move off of vBulletin and switch over to PHPBB. I won’t get into the technical stuff but vBulletin was limiting what we could do and PHPBB allowed us to give the forum a much overdue upgrade.

We did our best to keep everything you liked about vBulletin while adding many of the top-requested features that you’ve voiced over the past few years. We know that change isn’t always welcomed but it’s necessary to grow. The browsing experience remains mostly the same. It’s still a forum and we styled it to be similar to how the forums look now so that you won’t have to spend hours relearning how to use it.

We’re proud of what we’ve created and hope that you'll enjoy everything the new forum has to offer. Below you'll find a list of the major new features which were a part of this upgrade. If you have any feedback (good or bad) or questions for us, please post them here and we'll try to respond to them as quickly as possible.

Important notes:
- BBCode from vBulletin might appear broken but will automatically be fixed in 24 hours
- The forum section in our iOS app will not work properly right now. An update to the app has already been submitted and should be available in 2-3 days.
- Search will be down for 2 days while we work on optimizing it on the new platform Search is back up!

New Features:

Responsive design
Our forums will now automatically scale to whatever device you use to provide the optimal experience for that screen size. The biggest upgrade here is the experience on mobile devices.

Image uploads within the forums
Want to add an image to your post? You won’t have to use an external image host as you can now upload up to 20 images per post directly to our forum. You have your choice of adding these inline in your post or use a gallery. Images may be up to 10mb in size.

More robust notification system
Our previous notification system was very basic. It would only notify you of new private messages (on-site and via e-mail) and when your post got quoted (via e-mail). Our new system will include notifications for quotes, votes, BST feedback, post approvals/disapprovals and of course private messages. Each will have configurable notification options for on-site, email or both.

Thread Summary
It’s like a mini Wikipedia entry located under each original post. This new feature will allow most users to start or edit an entry to help bring useful information to the top of every thread. Users are able to access the edit history of this as well to see what was previously contained here.

Trending topics
A new way to look at the Hot Deals forum. There is a new tab within the Hot Deals forum called "Trending". The system uses a fancy algorithm based off of replies, votes, views and time to identify the most popular threads at the moment and showcases them here. Hot Deals often moves very quickly and it’s easy to miss a great deal. This new tab should help with that.

Search that works
For regular users of our forum, you’d know that search did not always return the best results. Title search was especially bad. Now you should have a much easier time finding the threads and posts you’re looking for.

Video and Social Media embedding
Just paste a URL from any of the sites below into your post and it’ll automatically embed into your post. There’s no need for tags. All you need is the URL.

Instagram
Twitch
Twitter
Vimeo
Vine
YouTube

Score system
This is the new "Thanks" system. All previous "Thanks" will be converted to up-votes. Up-votes work the same way that "Thanks" did. Down-votes are new as we listened to your feedback and agreed that it would be helpful to have a way opposite of "Thanks" to show that you didn’t like a post.

Think a deal is terrible? Give it a down-vote. Votes on the original post of a thread become that threads Score and is displayed when you view a forum (if voting is enabled in that forum). Each reply within a thread also has a score but has no weight on the threads score.

Up-votes are visible (like how it is for "Thanks") and down-votes are anonymous. Moderators and admins can see down votes to monitor for abuse. We have many systems in place to monitor for abuse (vindictive down-voting, voting on everything just for fun, etc.). Those found to be abusing the system might receive a warning or infraction and possibly have their voting ability removed. We hope this will help users identify popular content more easily and also help curb negative behaviour.

*UPDATE*

Search is back up!
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 5th, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: search is back up
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
739 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8061 posts
2876 upvotes
Toronto
Times out frequently when you approach forum section.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 24, 2013
38 posts
12 upvotes
Looks responsive and clean when it works. Getting hugged to death a bit right now, but once things stabilize a bit it will be great I'm sure.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1543 posts
179 upvotes
Performance and load times are terrible right now. Hopefully that improves though and it isn't the new normal for this forum.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2970 posts
2133 upvotes
Burnaby
Congratulations to the development team at RFD and (the outsourcing) contractors, if applicable. I guess that rewriting the site using another platform was challenging.

The servers seem to be overloaded today. I've got my fair share of errors 500, 503 and 504 before being able to login. Which mean the launch was a success! [plenty of visitors! ]

Not sure, but I think that using the old ?mobile_type=basic was what allowed me to login.

Cheers.
yare yare daze...

[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1070 posts
708 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I spend 100% of my time in Hot Deals and freebies forums.

Is there a way to decrease the space between threads so that I can display more threads per screen depth? I don't know how better to describe that.

Before we had notifications of new posts in a subscribed thread. Is there a way to get notified by email of a new thread creation in Hot Deals or Freebies?
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."

and "Help your uncle Jack, off that horse."

Dump the downvote system: upvotes-downvotes-2070965/#p27573558
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8061 posts
2876 upvotes
Toronto
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/rfd/db/driver/mysqli_slave.php on line 57: mysqli::real_connect(): (HY000/1040): Too many connections
Return to the index page
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

[]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

---

Did you guys moved DataCenters?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4307 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Where is the user control panel that from the old site? It does not seem to be the same as what it used to look like. I like the old one.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20461 posts
3158 upvotes
Waterloo
Too much white space all around, I would've preferred more compact layout, like before

Website feels TOO WHITE also

Tags still don't work, see my own CC thread for example, entire OP is messed up :(
jerrys-list-credit-cards-200-welcome-bo ... q-1685293/
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Jul 15, 2015
863 posts
100 upvotes
I frequently get time-outs or errors even browsing pages. I also noticed that the option to sort based on [WTB] [FS] etc... are no longer there in the buy/sell sub-forums as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1051 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Ya load times and time outs are bad here as well, but I assume that'll get better over time.

Padding seems a bit large, there are less threads on one page, and less posts in a thread. I can easily edit css on my end, but thought I'd share this anyways.

Also, I was posting a thread and I got this error after hitting post: "Information The requested thread does not exist."
signature removed for rule violations
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17736 posts
1318 upvotes
Why don't I have more than a single page of subs?
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Jul 15, 2015
863 posts
100 upvotes
I frequently get time-outs or errors even browsing pages. I also noticed that the option to sort based on [WTB] [FS] etc... are no longer there in the buy/sell sub-forums as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2508 posts
261 upvotes
GTA
Great design. Love that it's gone responsive design.

One note, I use the RSS feeds in my Outlook at work for the Hot Deals sections. It seems now like the RSS feeds are picking up the threads AND people's replies. Whereas I had it where it just picked up the OP's thread. Replies are going to flood that inbox.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)