Site Comments & Suggestions

Welcome to the new RFD forums! Post your questions and feedback here.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2017 6:08 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13694 posts
1225 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 12:15 pm
Was it a notification of a single post or multiple posts?

Quite a bit of our traffic comes from mobile now so we're looking to build a robust notification system into the forums app. PM will definitely be one of the configurable options for that.

Do you not like using email notifications for PM's? For an infrequent visitor it's probably the most ideal option to be alerted of a new PM.
Question wasn't for me, but I hate having notifications by e-mail (except for PM's, because I like to respond as quickly as possible and without being ON the site, I wouldn't know I have a PM) but with the layout of the site, I can easily disable or enable that I get them.

1 Annoyance, thread creation, it's defaulting to subscribe by email, at least for me, which I always disable (or say "Never"). Wish I could default it another way.

My notification was a single notification about being quoted by another member. Maybe a quote is different?
But I already read the quote because I responded in the mobile version ... twice.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13694 posts
1225 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 12:18 pm
Its not me thats the problem, its other users who miss the fact they received PMs months ago and are still unread
At most i've gone a couple days before noticing. Sometimes when replying to someone i mention i sent them a PM so they check it
I've mailed many people who are missing the private messages. I have a friend on here who told me, "I don't come on here much" but if my PM's were flooding their email inbox, I think they'd come :p
I agree though, I have messages sitting in dead mail boxes right now.
"Deal of the Day" addict
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8561 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
Quentin5 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 12:18 pm

Its not me thats the problem, its other users who miss the fact they received PMs months ago and are still unread
At most i've gone a couple days before noticing. Sometimes when replying to someone i mention i sent them a PM so they check it
I have a feeling there's a good chance these users wouldn't benefit much from a one time pop up if they'd ignore an email (default is on) AND seeing the notification icon for months. I wouldn't classify this as high priority but there might be something we can do to improve this in the future.
DaVibe wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 12:29 pm

Question wasn't for me, but I hate having notifications by e-mail (except for PM's, because I like to respond as quickly as possible and without being ON the site, I wouldn't know I have a PM) but with the layout of the site, I can easily disable or enable that I get them.

1 Annoyance, thread creation, it's defaulting to subscribe by email, at least for me, which I always disable (or say "Never"). Wish I could default it another way.

My notification was a single notification about being quoted by another member. Maybe a quote is different?
But I already read the quote because I responded in the mobile version ... twice.
If you still have the link please send it to me and I'll look into it.

Also you can set your default thread creation subscription options here: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=post
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Dec 31, 2015
10 posts
1 upvote
North York, ON
jerryhung wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 8:14 am
Subscribe the thread without notification?
that way you can go back and find it quicker under your Subscriptions page at least, at ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed
Thanks, I'll try that. Wish it was simpler like clicking the little heart to make a favorite with deals etc
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13626 posts
3406 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 12:38 pm
I have a feeling there's a good chance these users wouldn't benefit much from a one time pop up if they'd ignore an email (default is on) AND seeing the notification icon for months. I wouldn't classify this as high priority but there might be something we can do to improve this in the future.
Well when i have told people to check PMs they usually do so, one in particular was a great help to me but i waited a month or two before i asked the person to check
I don't want to litter the forum with check your PM every other time i send a message
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Jan 19, 2006
328 posts
123 upvotes
BC
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 10:49 am
What exactly is broken in your opinion? Every thread and post was migrated over so I'm not sure why you need to look at a cached version.
Bought a Kobo Arc 10HD and became very familiar with a thread that discussed how to root and install CM ROM. I thought I was loosing my mind as every time I would refer to the thread, posts that I had hope to read were gone!

For example: Google search result "Cached" version Yields the original thread that I recall of 8 pages and over 105 posts. This is page 7 of 8 returned from Google "cache" (I could not get Google to return page 8).

Google search: clicking directly on search result returns content as it now exists in the RFD thread. This result is missing much of the important original content.

This is the search in Google that returned these results.

So TomRFD, this is what is broken. Content - gone! Every thread may have been migrated but was the thread CONTENT migrated? This thread originally exceeded 105 posts and it is now 11 posts.

Before the "upgrade" I could go back into threads in "My Subscriptions" and the content was returned intact. Now when I many of the links within "My Subscriptions" it returns:
Information No posts exist inside this thread for the selected time frame.

This is an example of one of "My Subscriptions" that no longer returns anything: Roku How-to JWL Nov 18th, 2013 8:19 am 1…3940414243

Perhaps I do not exactly understand the process of migrating a dBase or thread merging, but much of the developmental "flow" of the posts within a thread is missing, which results in the thread being in disarray. There were multi-page threads that are now reduced to a short single page and many of the original posts are gone.

I'm still sad and confused....
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8561 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
cloudsuck wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 4:50 pm
Bought a Kobo Arc 10HD and became very familiar with a thread that discussed how to root and install CM ROM. I thought I was loosing my mind as every time I would refer to the thread, posts that I had hope to read were gone!

For example: Google search result "Cached" version Yields the original thread that I recall of 8 pages and over 105 posts. This is page 7 of 8 returned from Google "cache" (I could not get Google to return page 8).

Google search: clicking directly on search result returns content as it now exists in the RFD thread. This result is missing much of the important original content.

This is the search in Google that returned these results.

So TomRFD, this is what is broken. Content - gone! Every thread may have been migrated but was the thread CONTENT migrated? This thread originally exceeded 105 posts and it is now 11 posts.

Before the "upgrade" I could go back into threads in "My Subscriptions" and the content was returned intact. Now when I many of the links within "My Subscriptions" it returns:
Information No posts exist inside this thread for the selected time frame.

This is an example of one of "My Subscriptions" that no longer returns anything: Roku How-to JWL Nov 18th, 2013 8:19 am 1…3940414243

Perhaps I do not exactly understand the process of migrating a dBase or thread merging, but much of the developmental "flow" of the posts within a thread is missing, which results in the thread being in disarray. There were multi-page threads that are now reduced to a short single page and many of the original posts are gone.

I'm still sad and confused....
I don't see any missing posts from your example. Google's cache only goes to post 105 but I see up to that post and 17 more. You can't go by page numbers unless yours is set the same as Google (15 per page). I'm seeing 4 pages at 40 per page. Here's a link to the last post in the thread. Let me know if it works for you.

I'm not sure what's happening with your subscriptions but send me a PM with a few links of threads that give you that error message and I'll have a look into it. This is the first I've heard of it happening.
Jan 19, 2006
328 posts
123 upvotes
BC
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 8:21 pm
I don't see any missing posts from your example. Google's cache only goes to post 105 but I see up to that post and 17 more. You can't go by page numbers unless yours is set the same as Google (15 per page). I'm seeing 4 pages at 40 per page. Here's a link to the last post in the thread. Let me know if it works for you.

I'm not sure what's happening with your subscriptions but send me a PM with a few links of threads that give you that error message and I'll have a look into it. This is the first I've heard of it happening.
@TomRFD I just figured out what was happening, and I owe you and RFD an apology!

Turns out my preferences were set to only display threads and posts for the last "3 months" rather than "beginning" and "all". Everything looks great now that I revised those preferences. Thanks for providing me with the clue to solve this issue that has been so frustrating. I do recall that some of my former preference were altered with the upgrade and I must have chosen these in err or perhaps these were roll-out defaults. All is well again!

Keep up the great work!!
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8561 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
cloudsuck wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 11:37 pm
@TomRFD I just figured out what was happening, and I owe you and RFD an apology!

Turns out my preferences were set to only display threads and posts for the last "3 months" rather than "beginning" and "all". Everything looks great now that I revised those preferences. Thanks for providing me with the clue to solve this issue that has been so frustrating. I do recall that some of my former preference were altered with the upgrade and I must have chosen these in err or perhaps these were roll-out defaults. All is well again!

Keep up the great work!!
Glad you were able to figure it out. :)
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20459 posts
3157 upvotes
Waterloo
ToniCipriani wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 2:45 pm
Some threads are showing up as blank in the title

Thread in question: pcf-you-cuve-been-selected-earn-2-25-01 ... 7-2063014/
It's been that way forever, since the new update ... either in [New Post] page or each forum/section
I'm surprised Mods or Devs haven't seen it themselves?
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6814 posts
2239 upvotes
Markham
Also for the upvote links in notifications, they always point to the first page. Should use the same URL format as the quoted so it takes you to the post.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8561 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
ToniCipriani wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 9:21 pm
Also for the upvote links in notifications, they always point to the first page. Should use the same URL format as the quoted so it takes you to the post.
This is a known issue. I'll see if I can get an update on when that will be fixed.

I also tweaked the PCF thread title. Does it still appear with a blank title for you?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6814 posts
2239 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 12th, 2016 11:57 am
This is a known issue. I'll see if I can get an update on when that will be fixed.

I also tweaked the PCF thread title. Does it still appear with a blank title for you?
Link seems OK now.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.