Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Well.ca]Tide Laundry Detergent PODS (72 pacs) $15.59

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2016 7:59 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6705 posts
2104 upvotes
Mississauga
Empyrium wrote: Read this before you jump on the "deal".

Also pods are about 30% more expensive per load than liquid detergent so this is even less of a deal...
My calculations : For the PODs $15.59/ 72 loads= $0.22
https://well.ca/products/tide-laundry-d ... 63122.html

For the liquid detergent : $5.99/24 loads= $0.25
https://well.ca/products/tide-he-liquid ... 87874.html

And I hope you noticed : 1-The pods consist of (detergent + stain remover + brightener) all in one (except free & gentle pods)
2-Pods work in all machine types (HE or not).
3-Pods Works in all temperatures (cold and hot water)
4-No need to measure up, no more spilling and no a little detergent left in the measuring cup.
5-I compared the pods with the regular liquid detergent ,if I compare it with Cold liquid detergent ,the pods will win much easier,as the cold water liquid detergent (not always) is smaller in size,more expensive and less frequent to go on sale.
6-I'm not sure if you did,but I'm talking about Tide products (as the this deal about Tide pods),so don't compare Tide with other brands please.
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2588 posts
2052 upvotes
Clarington

Also pods are about 30% more expensive per load than liquid detergent so this is even less of a deal...
The majority of people over use liquid detergent so it really makes up for it.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
FYI: The Free & Gentle version of Tide is OOS.

So to use the VISA deal, you could to get 2x Ocean Mist Scent Tide, 2x Ocean Mist Scent Tide and 1x Gain.... of fill it up with whatever you want.
Dec 13, 2006
722 posts
652 upvotes
Vancouver
if you have a QUICK WASH setting on your washer, DO NOT USE THESE, the wash cycle is not long enough to dissolve the pod and the plastic will melt when you put it in the dryer, ruining you laundry.. I have wrecked a few shirts with these not knowing what was causing it.. beware
Aug 31, 2010
747 posts
959 upvotes
ON
immortal_kssss wrote:

And I hope you noticed : 1-The pods consist of (detergent + stain remover + brightener) all in one (except free & gentle pods)
4-No need to measure up, no more spilling and no a little detergent left in the measuring cup.
5-I compared the pods with the regular liquid detergent ,if I compare it with Cold liquid detergent ,the pods will win much easier,as the cold water liquid detergent (not always) is smaller in size,more expensive and less frequent to go on sale.
6-I'm not sure if you did,but I'm talking about Tide products (as the this deal about Tide pods),so don't compare Tide with other brands please.
Your calculation is flawed because P&G "recommends three packets for extra-large laundry loads, two for a large load and one for a small or medium load". (This change in guidance was introduced this year and might not be reflected in old packaging.) I would say an average load requires two pods, making the per load cost $0.44 based on your well.ca price. On the other hand, you are comparing the small size of liquid detergent vs. the large size of pods, that's hardly a fair comparison.

Of course one could argue "I would be cheap and only use one pod per load", well you could do that with liquid detergent too, except for liquid detergent you can use less than equivalent of one pod, making it even cheaper with liquid detergent for small loads.

Some of the benefits you listed heavily depend on personal view (I consider 3 in 1 a disadvantage because I don't use stain remover for most loads and I never need brightener), many experience the opposite of some advertised benefits like pods not dissolving properly (especially in cold water), items comes out dirty, some even complain about clothes being stained. One could argue that could be combination of machines and not using pods properly, but at the same time, few experience those problems with liquid detergent. The fact is for most consumer products, the more functions one product includes the more expensive it becomes for consumer, and brings the manufacturer the highest profit margin. Pods are heavily marketed by P&G and the company is okay with it cannibalizing its liquid detergent business because pods brings higher profit margin than liquid detergent.

The point of my post is to suggest not to blindly switch to pods. If you think you have done enough research and comparison/calculation to justify the switch, feel free to hop on the pods train. People have different preferences - for me, I use a combination liquid and powder Tide but I stick to free & gentle kind because I dislike the hazardous chemicals they use to create artificial scent. (Fragrance recipes are considered trade secrets so manufacturers are not required to disclose fragrance chemicals in the list of ingredients.)
Aug 31, 2010
747 posts
959 upvotes
ON
flafson wrote:

So what they are saying is not that it's bad but that somehow small kids get their hands on it and digest it. It would be the same thing if a small kid would digest any other poison you have in your house which they are able to get their hands on.
I think the risk extends beyond having kids ingesting the packets. "When curious kids find their way into regular liquid laundry detergent, the result is often nothing worse than an upset stomach. Laundry detergent pods are presenting more serious symptoms. Along with vomiting, lethargy, and delirium, some victims have stopped breathing. Eye injuries are another common hazard. And since 2013, at least two children have died after ingesting a pod."

It's likely the chemicals used in pods are more hazardous than liquid detergent, so having residue left on your clothes could pose more health risk (no detergent gets washed off completely in the laundry machine, even with extra rinse cycles). There hasn't been any research done on this, and I doubt any researcher would have the resources to carry out long term health impact of these new products, so you kinda have to decide if you are comfortable with it or not.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Empyrium wrote:
immortal_kssss wrote:

Your calculation is flawed because P&G "recommends three packets for extra-large laundry loads, two for a large load and one for a small or medium load". (This change in guidance was introduced this year and might not be reflected in old packaging.) I would say an average load requires two pods, making the per load cost $0.44 based on your well.ca price. On the other hand, you are comparing the small size of liquid detergent vs. the large size of pods, that's hardly a fair comparison.

Of course one could argue "I would be cheap and only use one pod per load", well you could do that with liquid detergent too, except for liquid detergent you can use less than equivalent of one pod, making it even cheaper with liquid detergent for small loads.

Some of the benefits you listed heavily depend on personal view (I consider 3 in 1 a disadvantage because I don't use stain remover for most loads and I never need brightener), many experience the opposite of some advertised benefits like pods not dissolving properly (especially in cold water), items comes out dirty, some even complain about clothes being stained. One could argue that could be combination of machines and not using pods properly, but at the same time, few experience those problems with liquid detergent. The fact is for most consumer products, the more functions one product includes the more expensive it becomes for consumer, and brings the manufacturer the highest profit margin. Pods are heavily marketed by P&G and the company is okay with it cannibalizing its liquid detergent business because pods brings higher profit margin than liquid detergent.

The point of my post is to suggest not to blindly switch to pods. If you think you have done enough research and comparison/calculation to justify the switch, feel free to hop on the pods train. People have different preferences - for me, I use a combination liquid and powder Tide but I stick to free & gentle kind because I dislike the hazardous chemicals they use to create artificial scent. (Fragrance recipes are considered trade secrets so manufacturers are not required to disclose fragrance chemicals in the list of ingredients.)
Honestly, you're just buying into marketing BS trying to get you to use more detergent. If P&G stance is that we as consumers underestimate an extra large load as a large load and that's why they now recommend using 3 pods. Then don't you think we are also underestimating extra large loads as a large loads for liquid and powder detergent as well? Or is there some magical gases only found in the pods that seep into our brains and inhibit our ability to estimate laundry loads properly? I fully expect P&G to change their recommendation on how much liquid detergent to use, if they haven't done so already.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Empyrium wrote:
immortal_kssss wrote: My calculations : For the PODs $15.59/ 72 loads= $0.22

Honestly, you're just buying into marketing BS trying to get you to use more detergent. If P&G stance is that we as consumers underestimate an extra large load as a large load and that's why they now recommend using 3 pods. Then don't you think we are also underestimating extra large loads as a large loads for liquid and powder detergent as well? Or is there some magical gases only found in the pods that seep into our brains and inhibit our ability to estimate laundry loads properly? I fully expect P&G to change their recommendation on how much liquid detergent to use, if they haven't done so already.
Could it also not mean that potency may have been reduced in the new formulation?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Empyrium wrote:

Could it also not mean that potency may have been reduced in the new formulation?
Well no... for 2 reasons:

1. Why would you make your product worse? Your competitors will out perform you and you lose business.
2. Telling the consumer to use more because they can't measure laundry loads properly, but really secretly making the product less effective is a great way to attract class action lawsuits.

There's lots of articles online and they all see this as a marketing ploy.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/three-tide- ... 1465407495
Oct 4, 2014
16 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
$10 Off $50
Coupon Code: WELL10
Well.ca: Save $10 on your purchase of $50 or more
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2011
10185 posts
5573 upvotes
Toronto
taly90 wrote: $10 Off $50
Coupon Code: WELL10
Well.ca: Save $10 on your purchase of $50 or more
Does it stack with Visa Checkout?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
So... I ordered the 5 Tide Pods... or more accurately 4 Tide and 1 Gain. But I only received 1 Tide and 1 Gain. Anybody have that happen to them?

When I called in, they told me that one of the Tide scents is sold out. So they will ship 1 Tide Pods and refund me fully on other 2 Tide Pods and I get to keep the VISA discount. I guess that works out best in the long run. I get them for under $10 each and to be completely honest 360 pods would have taken me a long time to finish (bachelor).
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
joeyjoejoe wrote:
weedb0y wrote:
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Well no... for 2 reasons:

1. Why would you make your product worse? Your competitors will out perform you and you lose business.
2. Telling the consumer to use more because they can't measure laundry loads properly, but really secretly making the product less effective is a great way to attract class action lawsuits.

There's lots of articles online and they all see this as a marketing ploy.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/three-tide- ... 1465407495
Your logic makes me confused. Everyone is seeing this is a less-than-trust-worthy marketing sales ploy. So what makes you so confident that to ensure that people do follow the advise, the formula isn't tweaked to be bit less potent?
Dec 27, 2011
218 posts
57 upvotes
HAMILTON
Not intended as a thread crap but anyone else find that powdered detergent is way better than liquid, and way way way better than these stupid pods?

So hard to find a deal on powder now... sucks.
Banned
Oct 5, 2015
951 posts
666 upvotes
Outremont, QC
murphys wrote: Not intended as a thread crap but anyone else find that powdered detergent is way better than liquid, and way way way better than these stupid pods?

So hard to find a deal on powder now... sucks.
I used to stuck to powder detergent, it cleans better and cost less.
But I do like the design and packaging of these pods, and the convenience.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2660 posts
1269 upvotes
I was talking to an Tide demo rep and they are eliminating liquid detergent by year end. So moving forward it will be just pods. Not sure if this is true.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)