Entertainment

Were there any television shows that didn't overstay their welcome?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2013 3:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
MkmBandit wrote: It's safe to say Rome is likely the biggest budget show I've ever seen. But where Rome really shines is it's intricate storyline. Everything is woven together in a way that will leave your impression feeling complete. One thing that the annals conclude is that while the men held the power, it was the women who shaped the outcome of the empire. Rome follows this trend.

While James Purefoy (Mark Anthony) was likely the most convicted in his role, and Ciaran Hinds (Julius Caesar) was likely the most memorable, I think it was Polly Walker (Atia, niece of Caesar) who was the real star of the show. Like I said it was the women who shaped Rome, so pay attention to her role. You will LOVE to hate her, but you will always want her to win. Always. Rome is a masterpiece in this aspect. I could also talk about Max Pirkis (Octavian Caesar), but for me to praise his role would be to spoil a bit of the storyline. So... just watch the show, and be amazed.
It was an enormously expensive series. I read an interview with an HBO exec who said it was one of their biggest mistakes in prematurely cancelling the series (primarily because of its huge budget -- they actually filmed in Rome; they recreated the Forum!) because the DVD sales were really good, more than enough to justify future seasons. If there's a silver lining in its cancellation, it encouraged HBO to seek out similarly ambitious series, most notably Game of Thrones. As big budget as that show is, it only costs about half as much as Rome, because of tax breaks from filming primarily in Northern Ireland.

I think HBO should go really for it and create a space-based scifi series. Can you imagine a big budget show like that with top notch production values that would make BSG and Star Trek look like amateur hour?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Talamasca wrote: DVD sales were really good, more than enough to justify future seasons.
You'd have to sell alot of DVDs to justify a series that had low ratings and that many HBO subscribers like myself hated to the point of questioning their HBO subscription. This article alludes to the high DVD sales of Rome(contains Deadwood spoilers). That article also mentions AMC's Rubicon. Why, why, why did they cancel Rubicon. You folks are evil for not watching it. I hate you all. ;)
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Talamasca wrote:
I think HBO should go really for it and create a space-based scifi series.
I know there is an audience, but I think the scifi genre is from an other time. Like westerns. :razz:

Shows about spying and international relations, like Homeland and Rubicon, are the way of the future.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
SAN66 wrote: Anything made in the UK. They don't have the same run into the ground mentality as the Americans and have no issue with ending a series on a high note or limiting a season of a show to 3 or 6 episodes.
+1

Fawlty Towers is a classic example.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Sopranos
Spartacus

Sopranos is more detailed than most can pick up. There are references and clues spread throughout and they go missed because most people see what they want. There are many underlying themes that if you want to ignore, you can, and still get through the series without ever knowing they were there.

Spartacus was good because it followed a real story and it did end without dragging on.
Oct 21, 2004
543 posts
94 upvotes
MkmBandit wrote: It's safe to say Rome is likely the biggest budget show I've ever seen. But where Rome really shines is it's intricate storyline. Everything is woven together in a way that will leave your impression feeling complete. One thing that the annals conclude is that while the men held the power, it was the women who shaped the outcome of the empire. Rome follows this trend.

While James Purefoy (Mark Anthony) was likely the most convicted in his role, and Ciaran Hinds (Julius Caesar) was likely the most memorable, I think it was Polly Walker (Atia, niece of Caesar) who was the real star of the show. Like I said it was the women who shaped Rome, so pay attention to her role. You will LOVE to hate her, but you will always want her to win. Always. Rome is a masterpiece in this aspect. I could also talk about Max Pirkis (Octavian Caesar), but for me to praise his role would be to spoil a bit of the storyline. So... just watch the show, and be amazed.
I agree with your list. James Purefoy, Ciaran Hinds and Polly Walker were amazing. Ciaran Hinds' Caesar was so regal. has got to be the best Caesar ever portrayed. I've seen other Caesars in movies, documentaries, etc. but what Ciaran Hinds did with Caesar was magic. the man had a presence. he dominated the screen in any scene that he was in. and Purefoy's Antony was such a loveable rascal. you root for him even when you disapprove of his actions. he had great chemistry with Vorenus too. the kid who played the younger Octavian was also something.

but the one guy who I think got somewhat overlooked was Tobias Menzies aka Brutus. his character was supposed to be conflicted about everything he did. and Tobias captured that perfectly. it was a brilliant performance from him.

of course, the veteran actors who played Pompey, Cicero and Cato were also excellent.

the whole series was a masterpiece. I adore that show. amazing production in every way. imo, it was vastly superior to even Gladiator.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2202 posts
404 upvotes
Both Newhart shows and the finale of the second Newhart show might possibly be the best sitcom series ending of all time.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
AudiDude wrote: Spartacus was good because it followed a real story and it did end without dragging on.
I agree. There are only a few episodes left and I think the length of its run has been near-perfect. Just enough to keep you wanting more without going on and on.

My only question will be if they let the title character ride off into the sunset and live, or die on-screen with his compadres in the series finale.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Great thread- I saw The Wire years ago week by week, going to get all seasons and watch it again; posts reminded me how good it was.

Never saw Rubicon, we enjoy the 24 and Homeland type series so I'll get that series also-too bad only 1 season.

My 3 series that ended too soon:
The Wire
Breaking Bad...hoping they reverse the decision to end after the next 8 episodes
Freaks & Geeks....hokey but the 1 season is great to watch with young teens; critics rate suprisingly high
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
The Wire had to end where it did. The story was done and would absolutely have overstayed its welcome if it had lasted longer. Same with Breaking Bad. I don't want BB to go on forever, because it just can't. Look at how much longer Weeds went on than necessary and that show was absolutely in the toilet by the end. What else would you do with Walter White that hasn't been done already?
vero95 wrote: LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote: $5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
flashy_mcflash wrote: What else would you do with Walter White that hasn't been done already?
Put him on trial-convict him and have a season with him taking over the prison drug business? Plotting his escape, Feds offering deals if he'll help take down Jesse/Mexican drug cartel etc....I'm no writer but it seems a change of venue (prison) opens up a lot of storylines. Cancer comes back, Walter fears legal reprucusions less...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Put him on trial-convict him and have a season with him taking over the prison drug business? Plotting his escape, Feds offering deals if he'll help take down Jesse/Mexican drug cartel etc....I'm no writer but it seems a change of venue (prison) opens up a lot of storylines. Cancer comes back, Walter fears legal reprucusions less...
I don't really see what value that would have at this point. The character has completed his arc of becoming exactly the thing he feared the most and was combatting at the beginning of the series. Prolonging this artificially with a simple change of setting wouldn't do much, if anything, in service of this character change and would dilute the impact of what has already happened to him.

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if the show ends with anything other than Walt dying. He's basically transformed himself into Gus and needs to suffer a similar fate.
vero95 wrote: LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote: $5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3206 posts
1739 upvotes
Markham
flashy_mcflash wrote: The Wire had to end where it did. The story was done and would absolutely have overstayed its welcome if it had lasted longer. Same with Breaking Bad. I don't want BB to go on forever, because it just can't. Look at how much longer Weeds went on than necessary and that show was absolutely in the toilet by the end. What else would you do with Walter White that hasn't been done already?
+1 to everything you said.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
flashy_mcflash wrote: I don't really see what value that would have at this point. The character has completed his arc of becoming exactly the thing he feared the most and was combatting at the beginning of the series. Prolonging this artificially with a simple change of setting wouldn't do much, if anything, in service of this character change and would dilute the impact of what has already happened to him.

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if the show ends with anything other than Walt dying. He's basically transformed himself into Gus and needs to suffer a similar fate.
You make some good points; to me the series hasn't overstayed its welcome though but I guess the creators/director feel as you do.

It will make a great finale if Walt goes out in a blaze of glory, perhaps dying while doing something noble. Good chance we'll see the series wrap up with Walt's fate uncertain....not knowing if he's dead or not to allow for a movie in the future.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Breaking Bad is doing well so far and there is no reason to believe the last episodes will dip significantly.
The Wire was quality TV. Very slight dip in the middle with season 3 but the way that season wrapped up was amazing.
BSG was great throughout (even if the final episode split fans)

Didn't last long enough:
Profit - Too advanced for its time and lasted only one season, still holds up, although the technology is hilarious since it is mid 90s

EDIT:
I just discovered Spartacus and started with season 3 and loving it so far!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
crowTrobot wrote: I just discovered Spartacus and started with season 3 and loving it so far!
I started with Season 1 and stopped after that. The lead died of cancer and I just couldn't bring myself to keep watching the series, even though i hear his replacement did a good job.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)