• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2013 8:24 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
coachpotatoarmchairQB wrote: I am having a serious discussion!

From what I read, people always look at P E ratio and stuff. Problem is this stuff doesnt work or work well. Say you buy TD stock. You say oh this P E is great at 11. Oh they have so much cash. Ok great. This is arguable the best and most solid company around. But it is down 0.3% YTD!!!!

Then you go look at a NFLX and you say, oh this company is overvalued. It is losing money. Their balance sheet is terrible. oh too much debt. Oh not enough profit. Its up 147% YTD.

Ok, so the academics or 'serious investors' might laugh and act all high and almighty in their high horse and sipping on tea, but the brutes who bought NFLX dont care. They are the only one who is really laughin. They laughed all the way to the bank!

So how does this 'serious investment' philosophy work when it just doesnt?
You remind me of someone else here. Are you a bag and hold investor as well?
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6385 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't underestimate the power of dividends. Dividend re-investment + dividend increases = happy investor :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
7113 posts
9300 upvotes
coachpotatoarmchairQB wrote: what if you only have a few shares but the dividend is not enough to buy new shares how do you get reinvestment in these cases?

i normally dont hold enough shares cause i have a low net worth
Are you trying to hit the jackpot with the market? Or be a millionaire overnight? If so, go to Vegas.

There are lots of millionaires on this thread, but I'm sure none of them built their fortune overnight. They used the boring academic stuff that you're bashing. Slow but steady growth. Some through trading, some through investing, some through both.

Since you did no analysis on TSLA, you were lucky it went up. Same reason why your GLD went down. You'll lose all your money if luck is the only guide.

Since you have a low net worth, save more money, get another or a second job, review your expenses, so that you can save every month. Then you start investing that money. Learn (seriously) about investing and trading. Saving (and leveraging later) and investing / trading wisely is the only way to build wealth. Besides gambling, which is often a losing game.

Rod
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2624 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
I own about 1000 stocks of WPX. I should've sold it when it went up to 1.20+ (I would've been up 30%). Back when there were talks of being taken over etc.

Now, I'm down 25% instead lol, thankfully I don't own much of it, so I'm just waiting it out. At this point, there's no point selling it, but I certainly won't buy any more of it.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Down to 57 cents. Apparently had less than $1M of cash before they got another $32M from the Chinese.

Still doubt these folks will ever be able to come up with the $4-$5B to actually build a mine.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
6135 posts
1981 upvotes
Scarborough
IIRC coach potato also had timely investments in gld, nortel and rim... Yet all he can talk about is his big "win", just like how a typical day trader has tunnel vision and only talks about their "wins"...

I hope you realize you're a textbook example of how NOT to use the stock market to invest/accumulate wealth, but instead fritter it away thinking you can beat the market with your "winning strategy."

This may be a bit harsh but if you haven't noticed already, everyone is mocking you because you keep repeating the same crap over and over again. I should do the smart thing and put you on ignore like some of the other posters have done because it is clear you have nothing of value to add to the discussion and judging from your attitude it sounds like you never will.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
SkimGuy wrote: IIRC coach potato also had timely investments in gld, nortel and rim... Yet all he can talk about is his big "win", just like how a typical day trader has tunnel vision and only talks about their "wins"...

I hope you realize you're a textbook example of how NOT to use the stock market to invest/accumulate wealth, but instead fritter it away thinking you can beat the market with your "winning strategy."

This may be a bit harsh but if you haven't noticed already, everyone is mocking you because you keep repeating the same crap over and over again. I should do the smart thing and put you on ignore like some of the other posters have done because it is clear you have nothing of value to add to the discussion and judging from your attitude it sounds like you never will.
I'd be highly cautious about investing in the sort of stocks that are in the headlines or are hyped. Better to invest in companies that create a lot of value but are relatively obscure in the whole scheme of things (ie: fewer competitors try and target obscure companies that just crank out cash).

However, I think its rather innappropriate that you go on at length criticizing the poster in question. We all had to start somewhere. After he's perhaps lost enough of his money, he'll learn to be more cynical towards the claims that are out there.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
6135 posts
1981 upvotes
Scarborough
It's clear that trying to reason with him is not working. In order for one to be taught, one must be willing to learn. There's a clear disconnect between the two in this situation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)