• Jul 17th, 2019 12:07 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
590 posts
171 upvotes
GTA

Western Snowboard locations

Hi everyone,

I always do a 4 day snowboard trip out to Tremblant every January/ February with my buddies from high school. It’s our annual guys trip kind of deal. This year I would like to explore heading West.

Can anyone provide some suggestions? Cost is a factor and we would be flying out of Toronto or Hamilton.

We are starting to look now because I’d like to catch an off season deal.

Thanks,
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4938 posts
4850 upvotes
Vancouver
Whistler is superb but it's expensive. Same with Banff.
Revelstoke is great and cheaper, but it's hard to get to being 400km+ from the nearest airport (Calgary).
Big White is decent, an hour from Kelowna, and easy to get to from YYZ (nonstop, $600) or YHM (stop in YYC, $575). These prices are for a week in mid-January.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Jul 20, 2012
604 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
Whistler/Blackcomb, it's roughly 2 hours from Vancouver. Either rent a car or they do have motor coaches that take you to the resort. There's lots to do if you decide to take a day off. Good nightlife, lots of bars.
It's not cheap but there are a few restaurants that are reasonably priced.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
590 posts
171 upvotes
GTA
Thanks! A few guys I work with said Big White is probably best based on cost and proximity to an airport.

I’ll have to set some deal alerts
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2106 posts
1226 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Vail, Colorado

Went for a winter wedding a few years ago- it was really fun.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6965 posts
3137 upvotes
Kootenays
Swoop flies Hamilton to Kelowna. As long as they're still in business, the savings on 4 or 5 tickets will pay for your condo.
Dec 1, 2006
315 posts
32 upvotes
Whistler is king for scale and variety, but Big White is fun. I would happily go back to either.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4630 posts
776 upvotes
Ottawa
Price it out but if you are looking for any sort of deal, I think Whistler / Blackcomb (and Vail) will likely get dropped. They are beautiful resorts but they have a premium price.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
590 posts
171 upvotes
GTA
One member needs to get a pardon from an incident from almost twelve years ago so we are going to stay on this side of the border.

If we opened up stateside, I’m heading to Jackson’s hole!

That place looks insanely fun.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9033 posts
6371 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
As a lifelong skier
(Kids / Next Generation are the Snowboarders)
I will say all the places mentioned here are awesome

But ya gotta get to Whistler / Blackcomb at least once in your life
And the younger, the better

Trust me it won’t be your last visit

Love Tremblant, but there are incredible places it cannot compare to out west
And in the USA (east & west)

Worth the money ... albeit it expen$ive
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7637 posts
693 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
Perhaps think about flying to Austria? The flight sometimes isn’t much more than. Vancouver. Hotels are generally cheaper and lift tickets at good mountain can be around 40-50 euro

Plus better cheaper beer
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Jul 20, 2012
604 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
One other option is Cypress or Grousse Mountain which are the local hills in Vancouver. You can always spend a day at both to reduce costs if Whistler is out of your reach financially.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
590 posts
171 upvotes
GTA
This is great everyone- thanks.

Is it a pain to travel with your gear? Rent there? Or just pay the baggage premium?
Jul 5, 2004
23726 posts
3239 upvotes
I recommend renting. Less to lug around and you and your group may not have the most appropriate gear for the conditions you'll be in.

As for not going to the US, don't be fooled into believing that any criminal record prevents your friend from traveling to the US. Many people with a criminal record can still travel to the US without issue
Dec 1, 2006
315 posts
32 upvotes
Similar to what Shaner said, only bring your gear if it matches the conditions out West (which likely it won't). Bring your boots and rent the rest. Demo's are great as you can change them throughout your trip and find what you like.