Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
2825 posts
796 upvotes
Vancouver

[Westjet] 15% more Westjet dollars when you buy at least $1000

Deal Link:
Don’t miss out - Get more when you buy WestJet dollars before August 20, 2017.*
For limited time, you can get even more WestJet dollars in your account. When you buy a minimum of 1000 WestJet dollars between July 17 and August 20, 2017, an additional 15% back in WestJet dollars will be added to your WestJet Rewards account.

Keep in mind, you can't pay for whole flights with WS$ (taxes and fees have to be paid in cash).

*Points.com and WestJet reserve the right to change or terminate promotion without notice. All purchases must be made through the members WestJet Rewards account. WestJet Rewards members will receive 15% more in WestJet dollars of the WestJet dollars purchased with a minimum purchase of 1,000 WestJet dollars in a single transaction. To receive the additional 15%, the WestJet dollars purchase must be made between July 17, 2017, at 12:01 a.m. ET and August 20, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. ET. WestJet dollars have no cash value and are subject to current program terms and conditions. Members may purchase a maximum of 3,000 dollars per calendar year. All purchases are non-refundable. Offer is subject to change. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer. WestJet dollars will be posted to the recipients WestJet Rewards account within 24 hours of the completed transaction. All other WestJet Rewards program terms and conditions remain in effect.
31 replies
Oct 3, 2013
253 posts
143 upvotes
BC
Also keep in mind there is a small surcharge to buy WSD, and tax is charged. The surcharge is well offset by the bonus, but the tax may not be.

Tax is charged based upon the billing address of your credit card, so consider paying (or changing) with one that is billed to another province with lower taxes. Even better, other countries are not charged tax at all... just food for thought...
Nov 30, 2016
91 posts
24 upvotes
Interesting, I already have the Westjet World Elite, so the reward dollars coupled with that could make this a good deal :)

Thanks OP.
Dec 7, 2008
617 posts
74 upvotes
Not a bad deal, as seen below. Keep in mind, you don't earn cash back when using WJD. So that is 5% you don't earn for us gold members. Plus your spend doesnt go towards next year's gold status either. Factoring that all in, as a Gold member, this is a cold deal. May work for others.

Number of WestJet dollars 1,000
Bonus WestJet dollars 150
Total WestJet dollars 1,150
Cost of WestJet dollars$1,050.00
Total charge
Taxes will be calculated based on the purchaser's billing address.$1,050.00
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2006
1146 posts
254 upvotes
Edmonton
This is a good deal for people that flies a lot. Otherwise, $1000 is a bit much to be tied up at Westjet
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2968 posts
651 upvotes
Montreal
CanuckFlyHigh wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 1:40 pm
Not a bad deal, as seen below. Keep in mind, you don't earn cash back when using WJD. So that is 5% you don't earn for us gold members. Plus your spend doesnt go towards next year's gold status either. Factoring that all in, as a Gold member, this is a cold deal. May work for others.

Number of WestJet dollars 1,000
Bonus WestJet dollars 150
Total WestJet dollars 1,150
Cost of WestJet dollars$1,050.00
Total charge
Taxes will be calculated based on the purchaser's billing address.$1,050.00
So given that the taxes for most provinces are between 10-15% this seems pretty cold, no?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
2648 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't see a tax charged on the buy page. It would be dumb to charge tax.. this is like a gift card. You'd be taxed when you buy and taxed when you use.. doesn't make sense.

Ron.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
3709 posts
711 upvotes
Winnipeg
Interesting. Good way to meet the minimum spend for bonuses on certain credit cards
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
2825 posts
796 upvotes
Vancouver
Didn't know about the tax thing. Definitely would kill the deal for me as I'm in Vancouver
Oct 3, 2013
253 posts
143 upvotes
BC
newfbc wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 3:36 pm
I don't see a tax charged on the buy page. It would be dumb to charge tax.. this is like a gift card. You'd be taxed when you buy and taxed when you use.. doesn't make sense.

Ron.
Tax is there once you input your billing information.

You are incorrect. WS Rewards is no different than any points program. Just because they are called "dollars", and are rated at 1 CAD, they have no actual monetary value and are eligible to be taxed as a product of some sort.
Oct 3, 2013
253 posts
143 upvotes
BC
sunnysidesolutions wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 3:44 pm
So then you have to pay tax again on the flight when you spend these?
Yes, and to boot, WSD cannot be used to cover those taxes.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40159 posts
9431 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 1:29 pm
Also keep in mind there is a small surcharge to buy WSD, and tax is charged. The surcharge is well offset by the bonus, but the tax may not be.

Tax is charged based upon the billing address of your credit card, so consider paying (or changing) with one that is billed to another province with lower taxes. Even better, other countries are not charged tax at all... just food for thought...
Is this true for other airlines too, especially on foreign billing addresses and credit cards?

It seems HST only applies to airport improvement fees, at least with Air Canada?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-can ... taxes.html

Actually, it applies to the $25.00 SQ charge (Airport Improvement Fee). $25 x 13% = $3.25
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2968 posts
651 upvotes
Montreal
newfbc wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 3:36 pm

Ron.
I agree it's stupid, but I suspect this is different than gift cards from a tax perspective because you are buying the WJ points through a 3rd party and are therefore being taxed on it as a service rendered.

"The purchase of WestJet dollars is handled by Points.com, a third party partner of WestJet. By clicking this box to buy WestJet dollars, you consent to WestJet disclosing personal information associated with your WestJet Rewards account to Points.com so they may process your transaction"

One thing that may make this interesting despite the tax is that I noticed that when you book entirely with WJ points you sometimes seem to have access to better prices on some flights. Not sure about this, but that's the way it appeared to me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
2825 posts
796 upvotes
Vancouver
GT!! wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 4:57 pm

One thing that may make this interesting despite the tax is that I noticed that when you book entirely with WJ points you sometimes seem to have access to better prices on some flights. Not sure about this, but that's the way it appeared to me.
yeah westjet has a member exclusive deals which can only be seen if you're paying 100% in WS dollars. Same goes for international flights, you can buy international flights to asia or whatnot through westjet only if you pay the entire balance using westjet dollars