• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2018 9:34 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4083 posts
572 upvotes

westjet pilots may go on strike as early as May 19

keep checking the news if you are about to travel ...
13 replies
Dec 8, 2012
470 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
no 72hrs strike notice yet. I have my vacation booked in May, so I keep checking the news every hour
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8821 posts
1575 upvotes
they advised they would not strike over the long weekend, so I would expect fireworks to begin Tuesday if nothing is settled by then.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4083 posts
572 upvotes
lets hope they will not "block" the airport like swisport did ...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7273 posts
1720 upvotes
Toronto
They are pilots, they won't block the airport like Swisport workers.

They also said they won't strike to affect the long weekend travel.

Threat of strike is among the tactics used in negotiations. It gives them more teeth in their demands.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1253 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Is Swissport still on strike, BTW? Could explain the chaos with luggage during a month ago with Sunwing at T3 during the ice storm.
Celebrating 15+ years on RFD!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1178 posts
331 upvotes
I am flying with WestJet to Los Angeles on Monday, so glad they postponed until after the long weekend. Going for work...if they cancel my return flight...guess I just have to spend a little more time in sunny LA...bummer :)
Mar 13, 2018
236 posts
140 upvotes
lubmar wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:10 pm
lets hope they will not "block" the airport like swisport did ...
Swissport didn't disrupt travel or inconvenience anyone and blocked nothing except picket one parking lot mostly. They were so considerate and didn't inconvenience others but that also led to them having to strike longer

A pilot strike is much bigger deal
Last edited by Gboard2 on May 18th, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 13, 2018
236 posts
140 upvotes
Arrgh wrote:
May 17th, 2018 5:11 pm
They are pilots, they won't block the airport like Swisport workers.

They also said they won't strike to affect the long weekend travel.

Threat of strike is among the tactics used in negotiations. It gives them more teeth in their demands.
No good being able to get to airport when therrs no pilots to fly the plane!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4083 posts
572 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 12:23 am
Swissport didn't disrupt travel or inconvenience anyone and blocked nothing except picket one parking lot mostly. They were so considerate and didn't inconvenience others but that also led to them having to strike longer

A pilot strike is much bigger deal
didn't I see in the news people running down the street with theirs bags ?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6232 posts
753 upvotes
T dot 6
I'm checking daily for updates. On my trip some of us are flying down on Air Canada so even if I get a refund, we can't reschedule the trip, I will have to rebook on Air Canada and pay a lot more for such short notice. Ugh.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1469 posts
818 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 12:23 am
Nope, Swissport blocked all the access roads to the terminals:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3715968/stri ... n-airport/

Assuming WestJet pilots do the same as Air Canada pilots do when on strike, they will just picket in front of their airline's check-in counters, where the ropes are usually set up for lineups. Which makes sense since, there won't be any of their planes flying anyway so it's not like customers nor other WestJet staff (check in agents, gate agents, baggage handlers) need to get by them. WestJet pilots should only be able to shut down WestJet, not every other airline operating out of YYZ. They don't really have to picket to block access, nobody's going anywhere on WestJet anyway. It's not like airlines can easily hire enough scab pilots on short notice to fly their planes...

I love this:
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/air-c ... 21736.html

You don't keep poking at Air Canada (and don't forget when WestJet was caught illegally hacking into AC's systems) and not expect payback...
Mar 13, 2018
236 posts
140 upvotes
lubmar wrote:
May 18th, 2018 7:41 am
didn't I see in the news people running down the street with theirs bags ?
Nope, I flew many times during their strike and I was curious and had to ask people where they were striking out of curiosity and it was in middle of nowhere at an off-site access
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1582 posts
185 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
May 18th, 2018 10:25 am
Nope, Swissport blocked all the access roads to the terminals:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3715968/stri ... n-airport/

Assuming WestJet pilots do the same as Air Canada pilots do when on strike, they will just picket in front of their airline's check-in counters, where the ropes are usually set up for lineups. Which makes sense since, there won't be any of their planes flying anyway so it's not like customers nor other WestJet staff (check in agents, gate agents, baggage handlers) need to get by them. WestJet pilots should only be able to shut down WestJet, not every other airline operating out of YYZ. They don't really have to picket to block access, nobody's going anywhere on WestJet anyway. It's not like airlines can easily hire enough scab pilots on short notice to fly their planes...

I love this:
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/air-c ... 21736.html

You don't keep poking at Air Canada (and don't forget when WestJet was caught illegally hacking into AC's systems) and not expect payback...
That is not correct. Encore planes will still be flying so passengers will still need to check in. There has been no mention thus far of Encore pilots walking off tge job to support Westjet pilots.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)