WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2024 12:33 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 19, 2018
223 posts
229 upvotes
For those who have signed up for this card and gotten various amounts of Westjet dollars as a signup bonus (ex. 350$ recently on first purchase) does anyone know when the Westjet Dollars expire? According to the terms and conditions of the program base rewards don't expire but bonus rewards expire one year from the date of issuance. Does the welcome bonus count as bonus rewards? If so that would mean I need to use my 350$ in the next year? Or are they just normal Westjet dollars that have no expiry?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 18, 2013
5659 posts
9733 upvotes
BC
gymchamp wrote: For those who have signed up for this card and gotten various amounts of Westjet dollars as a signup bonus (ex. 350$ recently on first purchase) does anyone know when the Westjet Dollars expire? According to the terms and conditions of the program base rewards don't expire but bonus rewards expire one year from the date of issuance. Does the welcome bonus count as bonus rewards? If so that would mean I need to use my 350$ in the next year? Or are they just normal Westjet dollars that have no expiry?
Pretty certain WestJet dollars don't expire but travel bank credit expires after a year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7369 posts
9168 upvotes
Montreal
gymchamp wrote: For those who have signed up for this card and gotten various amounts of Westjet dollars as a signup bonus (ex. 350$ recently on first purchase) does anyone know when the Westjet Dollars expire? According to the terms and conditions of the program base rewards don't expire but bonus rewards expire one year from the date of issuance. Does the welcome bonus count as bonus rewards? If so that would mean I need to use my 350$ in the next year? Or are they just normal Westjet dollars that have no expiry?
The sign-up bonus is considered "base" WestJet dollars in most cases. But if there's wording like "Received 350 WestJet dollars, and for a limited time, receive an extra 100 WestJet dollars", then that extra 100 could be "bonus" WestJet dollars.
Oct 8, 2006
679 posts
505 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
rfdealer666 wrote: I just got this offer in my email

Are WJ dollars equal to real dollars? What's the true value if not?

Has there been any notice of minimum spend requirements for WE as has happened with Rogers and PC?
WJ $ = real $ in the Westjet world when paying for a fare. So far, doesn't appear any comments re minimum spend on the RBC westjet - wife just got a card in the last 2 months and nothing I read implied a min spend required...at least so far
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
Got an email today that says:
Get 450 Welcome WestJet dollars when you are approved for a WestJet RBC® World Elite Mastercardⱡ and apply before August 31, 2021 through this exclusive email link only.1

Plus, buy one, get one. Receive a $0 round-trip companion voucher. Just pay the taxes, fees and charges for the second fare when you get a new WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard before August 16, 2021.1
Jul 3, 2021
221 posts
188 upvotes
Would be nice if they offered anything like that to existing clients
Oct 29, 2007
191 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone applied for this card and received it without an existing WestJet Rewards account? I did not supply a number when applying and now have no idea what account the card is linked to. I've contacted RBC multiple times and no one can tell me what the rewards account ID is. The idea of there being a link between the two accounts on RBC's end just doesn't register with any of the agents.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3440 posts
2670 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The Westjet dollar rewards for their credit card application don't have a preset expiration date. Once they give it to you, it is your points to use.

I'm not sure if Westjet dollars expire if there is no activity in Westjet account for a specified amount of time. I know I lost plenty of Aeroplan points a few years ago when I didn't have any transactions for over a year which gave me or used up Aeroplan points. After that happened, I just stopped collecting Aeroplan points since I don't have a credit card with them.

I haven't travelled with Westjet since January 2020 and I cancelled their World Elite credit card on February 2021 so I haven't accumulated or used any Westjet dollars on my account in ~7 months.
Last edited by lmcjipo on Jul 24th, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3440 posts
2670 upvotes
Montreal, QC
SugarySnack wrote: Has anyone applied for this card and received it without an existing WestJet Rewards account? I did not supply a number when applying and now have no idea what account the card is linked to. I've contacted RBC multiple times and no one can tell me what the rewards account ID is. The idea of there being a link between the two accounts on RBC's end just doesn't register with any of the agents.
If you didn't supply/specify a Westjet Rewards account number when you applied for the card, they will generate a new Westjet Rewards account number for you (as if you're a new Westjet customer).
Oct 12, 2020
614 posts
1028 upvotes
Ontario
lmcjipo wrote: The Westjet dollar rewards for their credit card application don't have a preset expiration date. Once they give it to you, it is your points to use.

I'm not sure if Westjet dollars expire if there is no activity in Westjet account for a specified amount of time. I know I lost plenty of Aeroplan points a few years ago when I didn't have any transactions for over a year which gave me or used up Aeroplan points. After that happened, I just stopped collecting Aeroplan points since I don't have a credit card with them.

I haven't travelled with Westjet since January 2020 and I cancelled their World Elite credit card on February 2021 so I haven't accumulated or used any Westjet dollars on my account in ~7 months.
Just out of curiosity, what is your focus with your CC line-up now @lmcjipo? Do you focus on Amex's MR points? Maybe an in-house points system or cash back?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3440 posts
2670 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Wydrazor wrote: Just out of curiosity, what is your focus with your CC line-up now @lmcjipo? Do you focus on Amex's MR points? Maybe an in-house points system or cash back?
I try to have at least one Mastercard, one Visa, and one American Express. However, most of my credit cards now are Mastercard, I have one Visa which I don't use, and I only use my American Express when they have specific offers (like their current "shop small and get $5 for every $10 purchase" promotion). My free American Express card is affiliated with AirMiles and my American Express charge card gets me membership rewards (which I need to use and then cancel this card as I'm not really using it so it isn't worth the annual fee when it is up for renewal). I also like having an American Express because sometimes they have benefits like "front of the line" (or advance ticket purchases) for American Express card holders. There was a concert that I attended once where American Express card holders could purchase tickets before other card holders.

I have a Triangle Mastercard for those times that I purchase things at Canadian Tire or the Triangle affiliated stores (and I use this card generally as my all purpose card). I have my Tangerine Mastercard which I use every time I make a purchase which matches one of my three categories (restaurants, groceries, and re-occurring automatic monthly payments). I have a PC Mastercard for those times I shop at an affiliated PC store (Provigo, ShoppersDrugMart or Pharmaprix as it is known in Quebec, & Maxi) and I will also use at Esso. I also have my US Dollar Visa credit card which gives me cashback and I will use when purchasing something in US currency whether online or when I was/am on vacation in person. The Canadian Visa card that I have (CIBC), I will rarely use since even though it gives me 2% for groceries like some of my other credit cards, the 2% is only given at the end of the year as opposed to Tangerine where it is given at the end of each billing cycle but I use it once a year to keep it active.

When I had my RBC Westjet World Elite Mastercard, I would use this as my daily driver but since cancelling it, my Triangle Mastercard World Elite has picked up the slack even though the credit limit of my Triangle Mastercard is roughly only 10% of how much my RBC Westjet World Elite Mastercard was... but I was not spending anywhere near what my credit limit was on my RBC Westjet World Elite Mastercard when I had it.

My focus on my credit card line-up is on points/rewards at a merchant that I will generally use and cash back. I also look at the benefits of the card. That is why I had the RBC Westjet World Elite when I did because it offered points/rewards at Westjet (and I flew at least once a year with Westjet prior to the pandemic) so I benefited from the points as well as the free checked in luggage and to a lesser degree the companion ticket. When flying with Westjet wasn't an option (because of the pandemic) and RBC not giving me a one time annual fee rebate, it was not worth it for me to pay the annual fee for it so I cancelled it and will re-apply for it once I resume travelling again (and when that happens, I don't have any issues flying with Westjet).
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1477 posts
1139 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
EDL67134234 wrote: DP:

Product switched from RBC Avion to RBC WJ WE after 4 months of having Avion.

Had both before.

I see $250 posted on first statement and don't see $119 fee.
You should see a pro-rated refund of previous card’s annual fee, and a charge of $119 for this new card’s annual fee. Anything different and this is a new DP
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
2264 posts
1511 upvotes
Altera wrote: You should see a pro-rated refund of previous card’s annual fee, and a charge of $119 for this new card’s annual fee. Anything different and this is a new DP
Didn't get prorated refund.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2006
5313 posts
2518 upvotes
Winnipeg
Altera wrote: You should see a pro-rated refund of previous card’s annual fee, and a charge of $119 for this new card’s annual fee. Anything different and this is a new DP
You may see the annual fee charged. on August 1st.

If you were 4 months into a FYF, you probably won’t see a prorated refund.
Jul 3, 2021
221 posts
188 upvotes
What does DP mean?
Oct 29, 2007
191 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
lmcjipo wrote: If you didn't supply/specify a Westjet Rewards account number when you applied for the card, they will generate a new Westjet Rewards account number for you (as if you're a new Westjet customer).
If this is the case one of the 4 agents I’ve spoken to know anything about it.
Dec 11, 2017
37 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Hello,

I would appreciate it if someone with an RBC Cash Back Mastercard can clarify something to me. I was pre-approved for this CC, but am not sure if I will be able to view the MasterCard transactions online or to set up an account balance to be paid off automatically?

The teller at the local branch told me that I can do this in online banking, but the RBC website states that RBC MasterCard holders cannot do that. It is apparently available only to Visa cardholders. I am not sure if the info on the RBC site is outdated, or if the teller gave me incorrect information.

Here is the information posted on the RBC website:
View my RBC Royal Bank MasterCard transactions online
You are not able to view your RBC Royal Bank MasterCard transactions in RBC Online Banking at this time but you can view your transactions online through the MasterCard Inquiry service.

Set up my RBC Royal Bank MasterCard account balance to be paid off automatically
At this time it is not possible to have your RBC Royal Bank MasterCard account balance set up to be paid off automatically.

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/onlinebank ... s/visa/#14

Thank you!
Oct 12, 2020
614 posts
1028 upvotes
Ontario
lmcjipo wrote:
My focus on my credit card line-up is on points/rewards at a merchant that I will generally use and cash back. I also look at the benefits of the card. That is why I had the RBC Westjet World Elite when I did because it offered points/rewards at Westjet (and I flew at least once a year with Westjet prior to the pandemic) so I benefited from the points as well as the free checked in luggage and to a lesser degree the companion ticket. When flying with Westjet wasn't an option (because of the pandemic) and RBC not giving me a one time annual fee rebate, it was not worth it for me to pay the annual fee for it so I cancelled it and will re-apply for it once I resume travelling again (and when that happens, I don't have any issues flying with Westjet).
It's interesting for me to see how the pandemic has dramatically changed the CC line-up for people, and I feel like if you're not out there collecting points for travel purposes, you've got the next best plan - cash back for stores you frequent. I would also say that as a WS WE MC alternative, your Triangle WE MC is an excellent no-AF choice as it provides a slew of benefits like 1% back, RSA, etc. I assume a lot of people in a similar position downgraded/cancelled their WS WE MC just as you did, so I'm sure RBC will be ready to welcome you back.

FYI - there's now a 450 offer (1st purchase) + $0 companion voucher + 2x on groceries if you're ready to resume flying: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/rewards/credit-cards/450-summer-offer
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3440 posts
2670 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Wydrazor wrote: It's interesting for me to see how the pandemic has dramatically changed the CC line-up for people, and I feel like if you're not out there collecting points for travel purposes, you've got the next best plan - cash back for stores you frequent. I would also say that as a WS WE MC alternative, your Triangle WE MC is an excellent no-AF choice as it provides a slew of benefits like 1% back, RSA, etc. I assume a lot of people in a similar position downgraded/cancelled their WS WE MC just as you did, so I'm sure RBC will be ready to welcome you back.

FYI - there's now a 450 offer (1st purchase) + $0 companion voucher + 2x on groceries if you're ready to resume flying: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/rewards/credit-cards/450-summer-offer
I wouldn't have cancelled my RBC Westjet World Elite credit card if RBC had just given me a rebate of the annual fee: westjet-rbc-world-elite-mastercard-1268 ... #p34091499

Even if I had accepted their product switch to a no annual fee card, I wouldn't have used their no annual fee card since their no annual fee cards don't offer me any true benefit that I don't already have except to easily do a product switch in the future back to the RBC Westjet World Elite card... however if I don't use their no annual fee credit card for over a year, there is a high likelihood that they would cancel the credit card and I would be in the same situation as just cancelling the card outright.

They probably saw that my average monthly charges to their card was ~$500 so in the span of a year, they were probably getting only ~$120 from my purchases for merchant fees (if it is 2%) so didn't waive my fee since they apparently did it with others. Now Triangle (Canadian Tire Financial Services) is getting this merchant fee from me since all the purchases that I was regularly using my RBC Westjet World Elite for (which didn't match any of my 3 categories on Tangerine) have now been switched over to Triangle World Elite Mastercard.
Mar 19, 2018
223 posts
229 upvotes
peakingduck wrote:
Pretty certain WestJet dollars don't expire but travel bank credit expires after a year.
efrant wrote:
The sign-up bonus is considered "base" WestJet dollars in most cases. But if there's wording like "Received 350 WestJet dollars, and for a limited time, receive an extra 100 WestJet dollars", then that extra 100 could be "bonus" WestJet dollars.
lmcjipo wrote:
The Westjet dollar rewards for their credit card application don't have a preset expiration date. Once they give it to you, it is your points to use.

Thanks all for the responses! Much appreciated :)