None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7270 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Spongeg wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 5:38 pm
does your local TV station have one of those consumer reporters people can take this issue to?

in vancouver CTV has this guy called Olsen on your side and he takes cameras and stuff to businesses - lartge and small who rip people off and the people usually get refunded or the problem fixed

take it to the media and expose west jet
I remember they were havinga $1 fare sale once so i looked up some prices and one way was regular price and the return was "$1" so i totallted it and it was bout $450 or so

so I tried a different date when they didn't have the $1 sale and the price totalled the same around $450

all they did was jack the $1 fare up for the going there portion - the regular non sale fare was about equal for both retrun and going portions

cheeky

wts there to expose? that the op thinks that wednesday and tuesday are the same day? Op should be glad he got credited anything
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
ithumbus wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 4:22 pm
i looked at the westjet website and couldn't find that policy anywhere. But it sounds to me like if they meant one day was from 12 to 12 they should explicitly state that somewhere. BUT, i used to watch judge judy, and when ever someone gives you a small amount of a refund it means that they've admitted liability... so maybe you can run with that? Good luck.
What is another definition of a day?
When did Jan 25, 2009 starts and ends?
What is the 'same day' of Jan 25, 2009?
Is 1am of Jan 26 be part of the same day of Jan 25?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Jul 20, 2007
522 posts
85 upvotes
Based on business law, I think WestJet is not obligated to return anything. You pay and accept the conditions before purchasing the ticket at that given price. In addition, instead of a day, they would of said, "u can cancel your ticket any time within 24hours" instead of using a day, which usually means before the end of the day.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
359 upvotes
Etobicoke
ithumbus wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 4:22 pm
i looked at the westjet website and couldn't find that policy anywhere. But it sounds to me like if they meant one day was from 12 to 12 they should explicitly state that somewhere. BUT, i used to watch judge judy, and when ever someone gives you a small amount of a refund it means that they've admitted liability... so maybe you can run with that? Good luck.
darren22 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 5:45 pm
Isn't that kind of the universally-accepted definition of a day???

Exactly....it's called a 'calendar day'...and somebody is watching too much TV... ;)
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
185 upvotes
Gatineau
invisible wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2009 1:22 am
Hey guys, so I've never booked through West Jet before, but I was well aware that they had a policy where you can cancel a flight within the same day at no fee (this is what the rep told me over the phone). I booked a round trip for 2 to Vancouver (seats sale had the tickets there priced at $105 each, and return at $125 each, plus all those fees) at around 11:00pm on Tuesday night. WestJet claimed these prices were "50% off". I wake up at 9:00am on Wednesday morning, and just for the sake of checking, I notice "40% off seat sale". So I click to check the Vancouver costs, and they are now down to $79 there and $79 back! My booking costed me $641, whereas 10 hours later it now costs $490! I called West Jet, and the rep yet again said, "had this occured on the same day, we would gladly rebook your seats and refund you the difference as a credit, however, because it was a different calendar day we won't." Can you believe this??

..I called them back immediately and the rep told me "I don't think I should refund this" even though I pointed out how unethical it is to misadvertise the pricing (first claiming a 50% off discount, then a 40% discount at an even lower price) and to do so within a matter of hours.. not even days! The rep seemed to mildly understand, so he credited me $46.. Big effin deal, right?

So I call back again, hours later, and speak with another rep, absolutely furious. The guy tells me no, there's nothing he can do. I yet again point out how unethical it is to tell me 10 hours later doesn't count as "same day" (my idea of a full day is 24 hours..) He credits me another $52.50. Okay, a little bit better I suppose.. But what about the other $50?!

Am I the only one who thinks this is unethical to falsely advertise promotional pricing, and to try and deny a "price protection" within 24 hours? Perhaps you have all dealt with WestJet before, so know more than I do..
I think you need to learn how to read. Same day is same day, end of story
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2003
8454 posts
15 upvotes
Whenever I see a thread like this I always wish I could be there when the OP comes back to check on his thread and expects a bunch of people agreeing with him....only to find the opposite....

I wonder if they think "oh my, I was mistaken" or whether they start yelling and think "This internet guys are idiots"

funny. :)
People who are in my gang: Nikita, Spidey, weedb0y, jcoltage, deep, pitz, Sylvestre, Icedawn, 3weddings, Ambermoon, CSK'sMom, jazzsax, bokep, matdwyer, Dash, KorruptioN, angekfire, sxz, WontonTiger, YYZFA, king_george, 45ED, sxz, Ojam

*WE GONNA GIT YOU!
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2006
1316 posts
49 upvotes
St. John's
I find it hillarious that the OP is expecting price protection on airfare.

It's Westjet - not Future Shop.

And to reiterate what the rest have said - a day is a day. 24 hrs is 24 hrs. Two totally different periods of time.

You're extremely lucky they gave you anything.
Nikita wrote:
Dec 9th, 2008 12:46 pm
Why are so many people have reading comprehension problems this today?
Sep 16, 2008
80 posts
1 upvote
Nikita wrote:
Jan 26th, 2009 10:44 am
Exactly....it's called a 'calendar day'...and somebody is watching too much TV... ;)
Watch too much TV? I do, but i don't see how my referencing judge judy has anything to do with that. She's a legit source and she'd kick you a$$.
This reminds me of the time, years ago, that i went in to McDonalds at 12:30am on a Sunday. Back then they had a different deal for everyday of the week. I asked for the sunday deal, but the guy said he couldn't give it to me because they were still selling the Saturday deal and they would be until they closed later that night. When they reopened in the morning they'd be selling the Sunday deal.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
188 upvotes
ithumbus wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 12:18 am
Watch too much TV? I do, but i don't see how my referencing judge judy has anything to do with that. She's a legit source and she'd kick you a$$.
This reminds me of the time, years ago, that i went in to McDonalds at 12:30am on a Sunday. Back then they had a different deal for everyday of the week. I asked for the sunday deal, but the guy said he couldn't give it to me because they were still selling the Saturday deal and they would be until they closed later that night. When they reopened in the morning they'd be selling the Sunday deal.
She is legit source? Yes, you watch too much TV. She is legit source at best in USA. Do you know anything we think impossible can happen in US court system? We happen, thankfully, live in Canada.

You use McDonalds as reference to show the definition of a 'day'?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Nov 28, 2005
578 posts
20 upvotes
I'm shocked they gave you any money back, you should feel pretty lucky.
Airline fares change all the time with every airline everywhere in the world.
Dec 18, 2008
949 posts
24 upvotes
trixR4kids wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 8:04 pm
wts there to expose? that the op thinks that wednesday and tuesday are the same day? Op should be glad he got credited anything
i don't know he asked what he should do

its just an idea ;)

like anyone would go to that drastic a measure would be beyond me in this case but whatever
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
ithumbus wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 12:18 am
By quoting the Mcdonalds deal you are showing how the WestJet deal was legit. You are saying that Mcdonalds was wrong for not having their Sunday deal available at 12:30 am on Sunday as Sunday was a new day. WestJet is using the same criteria in their policy that you are trying to hold Mcdonalds to.
Nov 19, 2004
556 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
Perhaps legal precedence could be established by delving into the premise that it wasn't specified if it was a "calendar" day vs. a "fiscal" day... and then in what time zone (unless that is specified in the TOS of the site) transactions are executed and....

*sigh*, apologies to OP / TS, but only the lawyers will benefit from this one ;)
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
359 upvotes
Etobicoke
Hunter316 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 5:19 pm
By quoting the Mcdonalds deal you are showing how the WestJet deal was legit. You are saying that Mcdonalds was wrong for not having their Sunday deal available at 12:30 am on Sunday as Sunday was a new day. WestJet is using the same criteria in their policy that you are trying to hold Mcdonalds to.
Good point Hunter! You can't have it both ways.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
Nikita wrote:
Jan 29th, 2009 5:12 pm
Good point Hunter! You can't have it both ways.
Thanks. I try