Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes

What 'all in one' lens to get for Sony Alpha

Hi,

I have an Alpha A33 that I am not using as much as I expected. I do take it with me on trips and other places but it's not developing in the hobby I thought it would be. Currently I have 5 lens, the kit 18-55, a Minolta 50MM 1.7, a Minolta 24-85 that I got since it has the macro option (I think that's the lens, may have my numbers switched) and 2 cheapy lens I never use.

I don't do portrait much and typically shoot nature either from up close or far away so I'd like something that can do a reasonnable macro type shot and zoom around 11-14x.

My plan is to get an 18-250 lens and sell the others... but is that my best option? I have 600$ to spend including taxes and shipping so in that range, is the Sony 18-250 my best choice or would the Tamron or Sigma be a better choice- or is there a completely different lens I should consider? Some may say I'd be better off buying an 18-70 or 18-135 and adding a 70-300- would that be a better option? One thing I would consider, if its in my price range, is buying a separate lens for macro and telephoto- but not having to swap is my preference.

So... advice? And thanks in advance!
I buy KitKat (the Chocolate) swag, contact me if you have anything to sell with your price!
19 replies
Jun 21, 2012
48 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
Well the Sigma 18-250 is currently at $750+tax, but the Tamron 18-270 just went on instant rebate for $600+tax. So you won't get either of those for $600 all-in. However, you should definitely save up the few extra bucks and grab the Tamron at that price.

You could go for the 18-70 and 70-300, but then you'd be lugging around 2 lenses, then adding a macro for 3 lenses total, which is what you wanted to avoid from the start, no? You have to give up some things by going with an all-in-one lens, but for convenience it's hard to beat.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes
Why is the Sigma 750+ tax? the similar Sony on Ebay is near the 500 and the Sigma on there is a bit less around 440$.
I buy KitKat (the Chocolate) swag, contact me if you have anything to sell with your price!
Jun 21, 2012
48 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry I was looking at the Vistek pricing. Henrys has the Sigma for $630+tax. I assumed you were buying within Canada and new for the lens. Always nice to have the significant warranty both companies offer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes
I'd buy new on Ebay, not used I expect. Warranty is nice but the price goes up by 100-200$ vs. purchasing on Ebay- maybe if I could find a good sale but nothing showing up on photoprice

I stand corrected, the Tamron 18-270 is 529$ at Henry's according to Photoprice- http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03772/ ... price.html and it appears to be the choice you were recommending so I may just do that! Can I get someone to second that recommendation over Sony or Sigma?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes
SSteveF wrote:
Sep 7th, 2012 9:53 am
Why not try this one...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... Macro.html

18-250 and macro (well, sort of macro). It gets a bit soft when you get over 100mm, but for an all around/do anything lens this may be the best value for money.
It has the closest auto focus distance... something else to consider.
Jun 6, 2007
546 posts
29 upvotes
I bought a Minolta off Ebay for 50$ that is 25mm-100mm and its pretty good... better than the lens that came with my a55 at least1
Aug 3, 2011
651 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
If you like some thing at Henry's and you know you want new, try sweet talking to the store manager. With a bit of effort, you could get a break on the price there.
I have done it once and read on RFD others also got a deal by talking good to the manager. But talk to the manager only..........dont go looking for him asking who is the manager. Call discreet to find out his name and ask for him by his name when you walk in.

happy hunting
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes
No Henry's here... one is opening soon but not yet so my options are online only...
Aug 3, 2011
651 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
If you could live with a medium telephoto, best bang for the $$$$$$'s is the Secret Hand Shake Lens. Its 28-135 f4-4.5.
Very sharp, fast focus as the focusing ring/element is at rear (small element thus moves faster).
Very good colour reproduction. Solid build but heavy...............and yes you will find used one's only.
Cheap.....anywhere from 250-375 for a good copy.
reviewed here http://kurtmunger.com/minolta_af_28_135mmid56.html
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
2197 posts
147 upvotes
Feneant wrote:
Sep 7th, 2012 8:34 am
Hi,

I have an Alpha A33 that I am not using as much as I expected. I do take it with me on trips and other places but it's not developing in the hobby I thought it would be. Currently I have 5 lens, the kit 18-55, a Minolta 50MM 1.7, a Minolta 24-85 that I got since it has the macro option (I think that's the lens, may have my numbers switched) and 2 cheapy lens I never use.

I don't do portrait much and typically shoot nature either from up close or far away so I'd like something that can do a reasonnable macro type shot and zoom around 11-14x.

My plan is to get an 18-250 lens and sell the others... but is that my best option? I have 600$ to spend including taxes and shipping so in that range, is the Sony 18-250 my best choice or would the Tamron or Sigma be a better choice- or is there a completely different lens I should consider? Some may say I'd be better off buying an 18-70 or 18-135 and adding a 70-300- would that be a better option? One thing I would consider, if its in my price range, is buying a separate lens for macro and telephoto- but not having to swap is my preference.

So... advice? And thanks in advance!
Hi Feneant,

Here's a short review on the Sony 18-250mm that I've been using it on my a77 for a few months now. I've been doing a lot of outdoor activities (hiking up mountain, hills, caves) and I hate carrying all my lenses & flash around with me so I bought myself a 18-250mm, a single AAA battery Cree flashlight(for low lighting), instead of using tripod I've been using rock and twigs, and a wireless remote just for the convenience of being lazy.

The Pros:
All in One
from 35-135mm the quality is good

The Cons:
Plastic Quality
Distortion
Slight Color Fringes
Slow
Ugly Bokeh
at 250mm (fully extended) it looks...............hilarious

Would I use this lens to compare quality with a G/CZ/any other higher end lens? No
This lens is really meant for 1 thing. Being there to capture a lot of things from different range without the need to change lens.

Would I buy this lens again? Yes
But there are times when I wish I had my 50mm or my Beercan lenses when I took my shots.

So to round this up! This lens does almost everything but it does everything average. It's kinda like having a wife, it's great to have them there, they play a big role in your life but there are times when you dream about what you're missing out. ;)

EDIT: I'm sure this will be same as the Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-250 or 18-270.
ǝƃɐssǝɯ ǝɥʇ sı ɯnıpǝɯ ǝɥʇ
◉◉◉◉◉ITEMS I FS/WTB/SOLD/TRADED/BOUGHT◉◉◉◉◉
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=332203
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes
Thanks nite4evr for the review.

I ended up pre-ordering the Sigma SSteveF recommended. It was cheaper than the Sony and is getting good reviews so I expect will perform the same. The Tamron was the cheapest but I ended up passing because it its bad reviews... apparently the image quality wasn't nearly as sharp as the ton, the lens creep was always mentioned as being terrible and it's stability control (CV) doesn't work on Sony Alpha's. If it did, I would have bought it in a heartbeat, I saw a few shots from a Canon and it looked fantastic but without it the shot was blurry as heck. Though no doubt the Sigma won't be much better and will look as hilarious as the Sony.

So thank you everyone for the advice, I can't wait to receive the lens and see what it will do!
Jan 6, 2008
432 posts
46 upvotes
Just to raise an alternative thought. So far you have a decent entry level camera with no high-end lenses. you want to add another low-end lens. I would suggest you get a good super-zoom and start saving money towards a high-quality lens for your alpha. so use the super-zoom for average every day walking around and bring out the alpha when you want the quality.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes
pessamystic wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 2:39 pm
Just to raise an alternative thought. So far you have a decent entry level camera with no high-end lenses. you want to add another low-end lens. I would suggest you get a good super-zoom and start saving money towards a high-quality lens for your alpha. so use the super-zoom for average every day walking around and bring out the alpha when you want the quality.
I don't think that anyone who is not a professional photographer would consider a 500$ lens as being low end...
× < >