Wheels and Tires

What all should be serviced when getting your winter tires put on?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2016 10:07 pm
[OP]
Jul 21, 2016
172 posts
7 upvotes

What all should be serviced when getting your winter tires put on?

I am putting on my winter tires this week, while the tires are off what else should be serviced?

brakes? tie rods? grease the bearings?

2. Also what is the most visited auto repair online forum?

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17803 posts
2437 upvotes
Langley
It's obviously a good time to check brake wear, and do anything else that's due for maintenance.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10336 posts
2616 upvotes
Markham
Put your winter windshield fluid.
One year I forgot to add the winter one and still using the summer fluid, it froze when it was -30c out there and I couldn't spray windshield fluid during driving.

Oil change?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1693 posts
693 upvotes
Ontario
Istillwanttodoit wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 3:39 pm
I am putting on my winter tires this week, while the tires are off what else should be serviced?

brakes? tie rods? grease the bearings?

2. Also what is the most visited auto repair online forum?

Thanks
Not sure if you are paying a garage or doing it yourself.

If you are getting the changeover done at a garage there is no cost savings in getting other work done while the wheel is off.
This is because they charge you for time based on a scam called a book rate which calculates the work as if they had to put the car up on a hoist and remove the wheel anyway.
Aug 24, 2006
246 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
eager beaver wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 6:13 pm
This is because they charge you for time based on a scam called a book rate which calculates the work as if they had to put the car up on a hoist and remove the wheel anyway.
He's right!
Unless the shop is having a deal. But then I would check what the cost is for the jobs done separately.
Jun 10, 2008
369 posts
236 upvotes
Halton Hills
I usually spray some corrosion preventative in my wheel well and behind the liners, put a glob of grease around my hub and bleeder screw, inspect my pads for wear, once in a while make sure my caliper sliders aren't stuck.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2016
172 posts
7 upvotes
eager beaver wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 6:13 pm
Not sure if you are paying a garage or doing it yourself.

If you are getting the changeover done at a garage there is no cost savings in getting other work done while the wheel is off.
me and my friend are doing it.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1722 posts
234 upvotes
Markham
At the dealership, and considering the wheels were off, I got sucked into a break service.
Cleaning and caliper slider lubrication. Never been done b4...74K on the clock
[OP]
Jul 21, 2016
172 posts
7 upvotes
PCUSER wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 6:44 pm
At the dealership, and considering the wheels were off, I got sucked into a break service.
Cleaning and caliper slider lubrication. Never been done b4...74K on the clock
MODS>>> why was this moved? this is not specifically a 'Wheel & Tire' thread, its for all repaires required when you get your tires changed!!!