Cell Phones

What android app do you use to block ads?

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2013 3:09 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7486 posts
385 upvotes
Scarborough
In some of the freeware apps, you can't remove the ads. That is why they want you to pay for the full (donate) version.
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:52 pm
Switched to data and the address within speedtest app is back. Oh well I am not too bothered by the ads but would have loved to rid of all of them
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9687 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> Anyone have startup manager free version? It seems none of the ad blockers are able to remove the ads within this app.

I use AdAway (which seems to block Startup Manager from calling Amazon), but it still shows a banner promoting another product by the same software company. I think this is hard coded in the app, meaning it can't be removed by normal ad blocking techniques.
Sep 14, 2008
674 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
The reason it says it will be more effective on Wifi vs data is because the HOST based blockers (ie adaway/adfree) don't work if your APN has something in it's proxy field, I believe.
I went to my APN (bell) and removed it and my adblocker was just as effective on data as it was on wifi. My sister's mobilicity stopped working when I deleted the APN proxy though.

A blocker such as adblocker doesn't stop it from downloading, it just hides it. So your phone still downloads the advertisements. May just be a technicality if the end result is you wanting to block the ad.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
any new blockers? adfree and adblock not in the store now :(
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1000 posts
117 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I also use AdAway + Firefox + Adblock Plus. It's perfect for blocking ads, browsing on my tablet looks like on my desktop.
Just wish they could speed up Firefox for Android. It must be 2-3x slower than the stock browser from my experience. Can be very frustrating at times.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
Bisons wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 2:59 pm
I also use AdAway + Firefox + Adblock Plus. It's perfect for blocking ads, browsing on my tablet looks like on my desktop.
Just wish they could speed up Firefox for Android. It must be 2-3x slower than the stock browser from my experience. Can be very frustrating at times.
Adaway and adblock not in the store :(
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
dragon_drift wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 3:10 pm
Just Google for AdAway apk.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1000 posts
117 upvotes
Burlington, ON
dragon_drift wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 3:10 pm
I get AdAway with the ROM I have and AdBlock Plus is an add-on for Firefox just like the desktop version.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9687 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
https://f-droid.org/repo/org.adaway_42.apk

Posted by the developer
I received an email from Google Play that AdAway was removed due to "Violation of section 4.4 of the Developer Distribution Agreement." Thus, it will never be available on Google Play again. Please switch to F-Droid, the open alternative to Google Play!
× < >