Home & Garden

What is an approximate cost of replacing bathtub with a standing shower ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2018 1:15 pm
[OP]
Oct 10, 2018
29 posts
4 upvotes

What is an approximate cost of replacing bathtub with a standing shower ?

Hi Guys
The bathtub in my guest washroom is sort of getting old and also not very user friendly for the elderly. I want to replace it with a standing shower. Any idea what $$$ I can expect for this job?
Any contractors our there who would like to give me a quote. I live in whitby

Thanks
4 replies
Nov 9, 2011
532 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
I had quotes ranging from $10K to $15K in early 2017. End up doing it myself for $3K in material cost and 5 weekends.
Oct 20, 2011
964 posts
312 upvotes
Mississauga
Factors that will determine price are:

Are you using any waterproof membrane.
Are rough in's being moved other than the drain.
What type of shower pan are you using, e.g jersey mud bed, acrylic, Schluter Styrofoam etc.
What is the shower walls, e.g fiberglass one piece, acrylic sheet, corian, ceramic/porcelain, natural stone etc.
If using tile what is the pattern.
Are you including niches, recess lighting.
Type of shower door, curtain, glass/frameless
Are you adding grab bars.
Handyman or pro.
Too many other factors to consider.

Price of labour only depending on whether you use a handyman or pro, (note, you'll notice the difference in quality of work once complete) Between $750.00 and $3000.00 or higher depending on whether you go thermostatic etc. . This if for a tub to shower conversion only.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1265 posts
144 upvotes
Grimsby
My neighbour had a quote for this today.
Remove tub and tile surround, raise bulk head to within 2 inches of existing crown moulding.
Install walk in shower, side and ceiling panels with acrylic material, removable shower head on sliding shaft, both doors moveable and a safety bar on the back wall.
Replace existing vanity with one provided by neighbour, install heavy duty one piece roll goods flooring.
Remove all debris etc $4950

He could provide a vanity with marble top and under mount sink for $1500.