• Aug 26th, 2012 12:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 16, 2010
229 posts
2 upvotes

What is the best AMEX Credit Card for shopping at Costco

We shops at Costco and spends 500$ to 1000$ monthly there. Costco only accept AMEX Credit Card. Which AMEX Credit Card is best for shopping at Costco?

Costco guys gave us an application form for AMEX True Earnings Credit Card. Some people use AMEX Airmiles Credit Card there. Not sure which one is better.
20 replies
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
Why don't you go to Amex's website and compare the two cards, see which better suits, and make an informed decision. Every case is different for every card for every person.
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
I like the True Earnings one basically because I'm lazy and it is used both as a credit card and as a Costco membership card (so you don't need to carry around your regular membership card anymore). Also I'd rather have cash paid out to me automatically than mess around with Airmiles that I don't use.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1533 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
You don't need to use an amex card to shop at costco. Just go to the costco website order a gift card and pay with any credit card (Visa, mastercard). Then use the costco gift card to pay for stuff in the store.
Jul 18, 2012
133 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
can one use any amex card at costco or only costco amex credit card?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1533 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
robbiemurray wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 1:36 pm
can one use any amex card at costco or only costco amex credit card?

any amex
Jul 14, 2008
574 posts
57 upvotes
lurker99 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 1:34 pm
You don't need to use an amex card to shop at costco. Just go to the costco website order a gift card and pay with any credit card (Visa, mastercard). Then use the costco gift card to pay for stuff in the store.
mind blown, I did not think of it before.
[OP]
May 16, 2010
229 posts
2 upvotes
lurker99 wrote:
do you have to pay taxes or any other transaction fees on the gift card purchase?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1533 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
srhcan wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 2:41 pm
do you have to pay taxes or any other transaction fees on the gift card purchase?
No extra charges. The gift card comes to you un-activated and you have to call or email costco to activate it and it takes about 1 or 2 days, before it's activated.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10718 posts
14377 upvotes
lurker99 wrote:
Why bother with the gift cards? They are a hassle, you may lose them and you need to keep checking the balance to see if you have enough money left in the gift card. Plus carrying a bunch of these giftcards take up wallet space. The benefit of getting the Costco Amex is getting your picture on it, you don't need to carry your Costco membership. You can use the Amex anywhere. So just get it.

Plus you need to order the giftcards, then activate it. When you are really busy, who needs the hassle.
Have a nice day!

Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18562 posts
1008 upvotes
You will get slightly better rate of return with the Airmiles amex, but the convience of having only one card in my wallet, plus the ability to get 2% back on gas purchases at the Costco gas pumps, is why I use that card.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Feb 15, 2011
207 posts
11 upvotes
I would go with the True Earning.

I love how I can get 3% rebate on all the restaurants. Even if you dont eat out much, it is a great feature. Plus, you can get 2% rebate if you fill up your car at Costco. They also have rebate on all other purchases too but not very good. You get 1% on everything else only after you hit $3000.
Dec 20, 2006
517 posts
42 upvotes
I'm using the bluesky Amex. Flat 1.25% return. I'll probably switch to true earnings just to reduce the cards in my wallet when I hit the next redemption.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1533 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
LonesomeDove wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 3:48 pm
Why bother with the gift cards? They are a hassle, you may lose them and you need to keep checking the balance to see if you have enough money left in the gift card. Plus carrying a bunch of these giftcards take up wallet space. The benefit of getting the Costco Amex is getting your picture on it, you don't need to carry your Costco membership. You can use the Amex anywhere. So just get it.

Plus you need to order the giftcards, then activate it. When you are really busy, who needs the hassle.
I charge everything onto one mastercard, so I get more points. I realized , I had too many credit cards collecting too little points because I was splitting my purchase over several cards.

Also, costco amex rebate is only 1% (2% on gas and 3% at resturant), unless you are buying lots of gas or eating out a lot, I'll stick with my 2% return (for travel) on my capitalone card.
× < >