Careers

What is the best exam prep material for the Canadian Securities Course (CSC)?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2016 10:00 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 6, 2004
21 posts
1 upvote
Markham

What is the best exam prep material for the Canadian Securities Course (CSC)?

I am interest to buy the study notes and mock exam for my CSC exam. Now, I have two in mind:

1. Oliver's Learning
2. Canadian Securities Exam: Fast-Track Study Guide by Sean Ph.D. Cleary (Wiley)

Does anyone ever use these exam prep materials? Which is better? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your input!
47 replies
Feb 9, 2008
73 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Dont bother. The exam is ridiculously easy. Just read the book once and go on in for the exam.
May 4, 2008
99 posts
2 upvotes
Darkique wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2008 12:44 pm
Dont bother. The exam is ridiculously easy. Just read the book once and go on in for the exam.
Study notes are a total waste. Just read the book 1-2 times and write the exam right after. Don't delay. Make sure to do all the quizzes.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
7685 posts
551 upvotes
Read the book once. Do all the pre-test/post-test quizes multiple times and you're fine.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2004
21 posts
1 upvote
Markham
dmitri81 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2008 3:42 pm
Study notes are a total waste. Just read the book 1-2 times and write the exam right after. Don't delay. Make sure to do all the quizzes.
Thanks for your reply. Those quizzes are found on the CSI site, right? Are those the actual questions that will appear on the exam? I am thinking about the study notes because I want to save some reading time.
Feb 4, 2006
997 posts
TO
You really don't need any materials.

I kinda over-estimated the first test and ended up reading everything, but not the second. There's some pretty specific material in there, but you'll pass on the strength of the fundamentals (60% to pass).

If you've studied business in university, the only limitation to your passing the tests is being able to book the date... all the good times are usually booked for a few weeks in advance.
Aug 25, 2008
2 posts
Toronto
Dont bother with the "csc check" made by csi. It sucks. Its an online mock exam that gives you feedback in each question. Sounds like a good idea but the questions aren't random or diverse enough to make it worthwhile.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2004
21 posts
1 upvote
Markham
Does anyone know where I can get the CSI mock exam? Thanks.
Jan 28, 2010
1 posts
toronto
Which text is best to pass the csc course... I'm new to the financial world and i have access to the Oliver's and the passing the csc volume 1..... Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
3107 posts
169 upvotes
The books that come with the exam are sufficient.

Reasearching how to write multiple choice exams may help you out a bit too.

I found using Gobiel for the CFP exam helpful but CSC was easy.
www.mortgagecalculatortoolkit.com (cut and paste it)

Do your mortgage math correctly!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2679 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
What's the cost of the exam + books?
Nov 24, 2009
257 posts
17 upvotes
I recently got the CSC version with an Online textbook.

The price is $880 before tax. I beleive that comes with 1 mock exam, a series of post-chapter quizzes, and a few supplementary diagrams and activities for each chapter.

If you want a hardcopy textbook the price goes up to $900+. Forgot the exact figure though
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
2781 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
jaiden wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 12:12 pm
Which text is best to pass the csc course... I'm new to the financial world and i have access to the Oliver's and the passing the csc volume 1..... Thanks
Read carefully and do the practice modules on the CSI site. Trust me, the exam is not hard at all.
Heatware: spikyazn (11-0-0)
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
3419 posts
422 upvotes
Mississauga
ravenorxs wrote:
Jan 29th, 2010 3:47 pm
I recently got the CSC version with an Online textbook.

The price is $880 before tax. I beleive that comes with 1 mock exam, a series of post-chapter quizzes, and a few supplementary diagrams and activities for each chapter.

If you want a hardcopy textbook the price goes up to $900+. Forgot the exact figure though
Holy geezes...when did the CSC get up to that high of a cost. That is highway robbery! It used to be in the $500-$600 range.
Nov 27, 2009
8 posts
The prices are as follows:

- Online, interactive version with online textbook (PDF) $880
- Online, interactive version with hard-copy textbook $960

Now, is there any difference between these? I mean, any advantages to doing it all online vs. getting the textbook?

Another question: is the CSC Webcast ($40) really worth taking?
× < >