Students

What are the Best High Schools in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2015 2:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1600 posts
11 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
Michael Power in etobicoke was a decent high school. It allowed me to become an Ontario Scholar. However, I personally feel as if the school is going to the slums...
Want to test your Driving Knowledge? Studying for the G1? Studying for the written driving test of another Province? Check out http://www.DrivingTests101.com for FREE practice tests, it's a great resource!!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18115 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
S14_Raven wrote:There's Woburn C.I. I think it has the only gifted program in Scarborough
Yeah, that is one of the tops. I remember seeing that name at the top of all the contest rankings.

Also another one that's good is in North York. It wasn't Earl Haig, it was another name. Many of the students in Waterloo Systems Design Engineering are from there. They rank near the top in all competitions also.

What do you guys think about Brother Andre C.H.S? I was from there :cheesygri I heard our biology is good, and not so good in the maths. Is that b*tch Ms. Toner still teaching there?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
21477 posts
1517 upvotes
Aurora
Funny thing. When I attend Jarvis C.I. I was living at Gerrard and Greenwood. So technically I was suppose to attend Riverdale. But I went to Jarvis for their gifted program. I was outside the boundry for Jarvis, but they made an exception for a select few.

Back then, Riverdale was ranked futher down the chain. But I guess times have changed. Most of my friends went to Riverdale.
thezone wrote:my observations of Riverdale CI

Located: Jones and Gerrard

Safety: Rated 2nd safest school in the tdsb board

Student body: something along the lines of 60% Asians (school survey some time back) Lack for a better word nerds and alot of them so it seems. School seems to always have several students that do extremely well (top 5%) in Math, Science and Computer Science contests. However, many fail the Literacy test because more than 15% of school population are immigrants.

Sports: consistantly doing well in volleyball(qualify for ofssa), never loses in badminton, i think they do really well in ping pong too and well rounded in other sports.

extracurriculars: quite a long list compared to other schools. quality i'd think that it would depend on the club presidents and how they are run.

teachers: most of them are fairly good maybe with one or two exceptions but they seemed to have slowly disappeared as full time teachers and became substitutes.

I don't know too much about the quality of education at jarvis but i've heard from friends that lately there have been several cases where teachers have been caught having inappropriate relationships
Our graduating class was about 450 students. A little over 350 were Ontario Scholars.

Yes it is an inner city school, but back then, it wasn't so bad. Jarvis was stictly an Academic school and they really prepared you for university. Not college.
Mace wrote:The thing that has struck me most in this thread far is...

80% of graduates at Jarvis CI are Ontario Scholars?! That is awesomely ridiculous for an inner-city high school. Then again... it could be that the dumb kids drop out, and the ones that do graduate are big-time keeners. But so much for the poverty=poor achievement equation. :cheesygri

It's hard for me to formulate a trend here. There are schools in rich neighbourhoods that are good (ie. Unionville High) and schools in middle-class neighbourhoods that stink (ie. Dr. Norman Bethune, Albert Campbell). And, inexplicably, there are schools in the ghetto that are good (Emery CI, Jarvis). Moronto really is one whacked-out city! Hmm...
If you are refering to my typo on the word scholar, that is all it was. What is your excuse? Are you normally insulting or just a jerk?
ainsane wrote:I take it you weren't part of the 80%? ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
3877 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
how old are you dude?
Gee wrote:Funny thing. When I attend Jarvis C.I. I was living at Gerrard and Greenwood. So technically I was suppose to attend Riverdale. But I went to Jarvis for their gifted program. I was outside the boundry for Jarvis, but they made an exception for a select few.

Back then, Riverdale was ranked futher down the chain. But I guess times have changed. Most of my friends went to Riverdale.

Our graduating class was about 450 students. A little over 350 were Ontario Scholars.

Yes it is an inner city school, but back then, it wasn't so bad. Jarvis was stictly an Academic school and they really prepared you for university. Not college.

If you are refering to my typo on the word scholar, that is all it was. What is your excuse? Are you normally insulting or just a jerk?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
1661 posts
72 upvotes
Eastern Collegiate is a ghetto school, but some of the teachers there very good in my opinion.
Oct 20, 2004
653 posts
11 upvotes
no one said william lyon mackenzie.. hard ass school.. good enrichment program
It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice ;)
Oct 8, 2003
466 posts
188 upvotes
Gonna have to go with North Toronto Collegiate Institute on this one. 90% of graduates go onto university is quite a high number. They have a very high academic standards compared to most other high schools.

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/profiles/5540.pdf

But that is just my opinion. According to Mclean's, this honour goes to the TOPS program at Marc Garneau CI:
http://www.macleans.ca/webspecials/index.jsp
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
Doesn't matter which high school you go to. If you were to succeed, you will succeed in an inner city high school or at a preppy private school.

I know Ontario scholars that flunk out of university, I know below avg high school students excel at uni.

I went to North Toronto. They had a high percentage of graduate ON scholars because they attract kids with the attitude of doing well, not because of their teachings.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7008 posts
68 upvotes
Nepean
RHK :lol: how did that school got on the list
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
Gee wrote:If you are refering to my typo on the word scholar, that is all it was. What is your excuse? Are you normally insulting or just a jerk?
A little from column A and a little from column B :) I was just joking around though... I apologize if I offended you.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2004
491 posts
1 upvote
Also another one that's good is in North York. It wasn't Earl Haig, it was another name. Many of the students in Waterloo Systems Design Engineering are from there. They rank near the top in all competitions also.
felix, I think you're referring to AY Jackson Secondary School and you're right - they do very well and their students have a high representation in Math Olympiads.
RHK how did that school got on the list
I remember a news story, maybe in 1994, about parents camping out outside overnight to get their kids enrolled in R.H. King Academy. Since then they've gone by a lottery system for out-of-area admissions. I also recall Maclean's ranked it the best school in Toronto 3 years back. Plus, it's a pretentious "Academy" so it earns bonus points. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7008 posts
68 upvotes
Nepean
Mace wrote: I remember a news story, maybe in 1994, about parents camping out outside overnight to get their kids enrolled in R.H. King Academy. Since then they've gone by a lottery system for out-of-area admissions. I also recall Maclean's ranked it the best school in Toronto 3 years back. Plus, it's a pretentious "Academy" so it earns bonus points. :lol:
That sounds about right ..i walked pass those parents camping outside ..and laugh at them when I went there to register myself
[OP]
Jun 1, 2004
491 posts
1 upvote
That sounds about right ..i walked pass those parents camping outside ..and laugh at them when I went there to register myself
So you went to R.H. King Academy? I know it's a uniform school near the Scarborough bluffs with a giant arch on the front lawn. Is it all that it's cracked up to be?
[OP]
Jun 1, 2004
491 posts
1 upvote
I did an analysis of the results of the 2003 Leonardo Da Vinci Engineering Contest. I think this would be a good proxy for assessing the academic quality of a school.

Here's my summary of the # of Da Vinci Scholars from each school.

Don Mills Collegiate: 8
A.Y. Jackson: 6
Earl Haig Secondary: 5
Northern Secondary: 5
Albert Campbell: 4
Stephen Leacock: 4

Etobicoke Collegiate, Jarvis Collegiate, Winston Churchill CI & Woburn all had 3 each. Marc Garneau, despite its (overhyped?) TOPS enriched math & science program, only had 2. Take that Maclean's!

I suppose one can surmise from this list that the best schools are in Northern Scarborough and North York. :idea:
× < >