Cell Phones

What is the best plan w/ data for those who own unlocked phones?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2012 5:49 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 4, 2009
368 posts
55 upvotes
Calgary

What is the best plan w/ data for those who own unlocked phones?

Looking at all the providers they charge outrageously high prices because *they can*.

Price fixing? Totally. Live in Canada? Check. Will get ripped off on cell phone prices? Check.

I'm on Rogers and was originally told that even on a 3 year plan I would be eligible for a hardware upgrade after two years. Learned just recently this isn't true anymore.

Been reading mobile syrup and it turns out they changed that from 2 years to 30 months and then just recently, it changed to 36 months and upgrade eligibility is any time but you pay $13 / month for the remaining term. To summarize, if you were planning any sort of hardware upgrade -- you just got screwed.

In the US they offer 2 year plans, not here in Canada -- 3 years! Due to the big 3 monopolizing the Canadian cellular industry they can price fix, lock down your cell phone, and just change prices and policies whenever they see fit to screw over the consumer.

Given, I had no choice, I just bought out my cell phone unlocked. If I don't want to go on any plans Roger's won't give you a discount as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong).

To me, if a person is on a 3 year contract and they can pay off their remaining term (to sign on a new contract) for a hardware upgrade charge of $13 / month; then shouldn't I get $13 / month off if I'm on my own phone I purchased out right?

What I'm getting at is, where can I just get a decent deal around here when I own my own cell phone? Any amount of data seems to be outrageously priced. I need a smart phone plan w/ LTE data in Calgary and I don't want to feel like I'm being a@$$ raped by these carriers.

What is the best service, coverage and price I can possibly get in my situation? Thanks.
- Don't support hoarding. Do your research, decide on the price you want to pay for it. Don't ever pay more than that.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1934 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Do you absolutely Need LTE? If not i would go wind WIND Mobile
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Calling
Unlimited Data
No contracts
No hidden fees
$40
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2384 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
lol sir, the rant didnt really have anything to do regarding your question
either way, as mr wwedx asked, do you really need lte?
how much data do you anticipate to use or need?
voice mins? vm/cid/etc needed?
need them deets sir
altho if you are in winds coverage then +1 on mr wwedx recommendation (and hopefully you have an unlocked pentaband phone :) )
Free: 1. ShawDirect receivers
Looking for: 1. Cheapo 3/4g tablet
For Sale: 1. Thomson DCM476 Cable Modem
Dec 27, 2007
724 posts
79 upvotes
Edmonton
For right now, Fido has an Unlimited Everything Package + 1GB of data for $57. It ain't bad but its not that good either in terms of data.

I'm paying $55/month right now with a 6GB data plan. But its not unlimited everything
Nov 8, 2012
19 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
^ That Fido plan is one of the best out there right now (available month-month so no 3 year contract required) but the deadline to get it is November 25th.

Also, like the guys above said, Wind is another option worth looking into. Just depends on if you live in one of their coverage areas.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2703 posts
296 upvotes
Bell gives 10% off their plans if you bring your own phone.

They are the only ones in Canada to do that.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2516 posts
91 upvotes
wwedx wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 7:43 pm
Do you absolutely Need LTE? If not i would go wind WIND Mobile
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Calling
Unlimited Data
No contracts
No hidden fees
$40
+1
Oct 29, 2012
17 posts
3 upvotes
dj_rice wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 10:29 pm
For right now, Fido has an Unlimited Everything Package + 1GB of data for $57. It ain't bad but its not that good either in terms of data.

I'm paying $55/month right now with a 6GB data plan. But its not unlimited everything
Virgin mobile is also offering the same $57 plan but in addition you get 10% a month to put towards your super tab for future hardware upgrades. I believe the fido dollars comes in at 5% a month. Both are limited time offers however. Fido til nov 25th, VM til unknown
Sep 15, 2012
93 posts
7 upvotes
ST CLEMENTS
'while[1 wrote:;do;done;15775227']Looking at all the providers they charge outrageously high prices because *they can*.

Price fixing? Totally. Live in Canada? Check. Will get ripped off on cell phone prices? Check.

I'm on Rogers and was originally told that even on a 3 year plan I would be eligible for a hardware upgrade after two years. Learned just recently this isn't true anymore.

Been reading mobile syrup and it turns out they changed that from 2 years to 30 months and then just recently, it changed to 36 months and upgrade eligibility is any time but you pay $13 / month for the remaining term. To summarize, if you were planning any sort of hardware upgrade -- you just got screwed.

In the US they offer 2 year plans, not here in Canada -- 3 years! Due to the big 3 monopolizing the Canadian cellular industry they can price fix, lock down your cell phone, and just change prices and policies whenever they see fit to screw over the consumer.

Given, I had no choice, I just bought out my cell phone unlocked. If I don't want to go on any plans Roger's won't give you a discount as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong).

To me, if a person is on a 3 year contract and they can pay off their remaining term (to sign on a new contract) for a hardware upgrade charge of $13 / month; then shouldn't I get $13 / month off if I'm on my own phone I purchased out right?

What I'm getting at is, where can I just get a decent deal around here when I own my own cell phone? Any amount of data seems to be outrageously priced. I need a smart phone plan w/ LTE data in Calgary and I don't want to feel like I'm being a@$$ raped by these carriers.

What is the best service, coverage and price I can possibly get in my situation? Thanks.

I ran into the same thing a month ago. I was on koodo's 250 min/6g plan for 60 bucks, and 10% was put on a tab which I could use towards hardware in the future. I'd rather just have 10% off the bill, but no dice. Telus had a 6g small biz promo I got with 350 min, and 100LD min thrown in. I got 400 dollars for a port in credit , and the plan is 57 per month. I sold my 4s phone for 350 and bought a iPhone 5 for 179+ tax on this plan
I thought it was crazy that Telus/Koodo wouldn't just give me 10% off the koodo bill. I would have been happy to keep my old phone. Instead, they give out the port credit, (to port in from essentially the same company) subsidize the new phone, and supply a cheaper plan(than the 60)
Doesn't make much business sense to me, but if they value the contract that much, ok I'll sign.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2009
368 posts
55 upvotes
Calgary
My phone doesn't support Wind's frequencies. So Wind isn't an option.

My concern with Koodo or Virgin is the coverage. All I really "need" is city wide coverage. My traveling consists of one to at most two trips a year. I've heard that Mobolicity is cheap but their coverage is very spotty.

I use about 1GB to 1.5 GB of data a month but I would probably use less if I knew I had a 1GB cap. I have an LTE capable phone so I'd prefer to stick with an LTE carrier. I'm not stuck to that decision though. My top 2 so far is Telus or Fido then. They both have LTE and hopefully, I'll have to check them out and see if I can get something decent from them.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Jan 22, 2010
703 posts
70 upvotes
NARNIA!, jk Toronto
'while[1 wrote:;do;done;15779292']My phone doesn't support Wind's frequencies. So Wind isn't an option.

My concern with Koodo or Virgin is the coverage. All I really "need" is city wide coverage. My traveling consists of one to at most two trips a year. I've heard that Mobolicity is cheap but their coverage is very spotty.

I use about 1GB to 1.5 GB of data a month but I would probably use less if I knew I had a 1GB cap. I have an LTE capable phone so I'd prefer to stick with an LTE carrier. I'm not stuck to that decision though. My top 2 so far is Telus or Fido then. They both have LTE and hopefully, I'll have to check them out and see if I can get something decent from them.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
6gb plan from Rogers would do the job? Try Virgin if you need less data.
× < >