• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2013 2:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
97 upvotes
Agree that many of those listed are pedestrian options, although they usually have some hits. They're definitely far above the chains mentioned, but are rapidly looking like dinosaurs in Toronto's food options in terms of quality and price. Still have the best wine lists though.

I haven't been in a few years, but Opus was always fantastic in the fine-dining sphere. I'd go there again easily over Splendido, George, or anything in the financial district. And I find O&B and McEwan restaurants terribly overrated for taste (although I've never made it up to Auberge, which I'm told is still very good).

Is Nota Bene still any good? Seeing as that's where Lee went after Splendido.

Regardless, having eaten at Robuchon restaurants (greatest meals of my life), Batali and Bastianich joints, a couple of Michael Mina's places, Craftsteak, Per Se, and others, the "fine" dining in Toronto still has a long way to go.

No, in Toronto the best restaurants I've eaten at are the smaller, newer, younger, more casual places. I'll basically follow Van Gameren to whatever restaurant he's at (Black Hoof dropped considerably when he left), and Bar Isabel is great. Enoteca Sociale is still very good. County General is a regular stop. Hopgood's, Woodlot, Salt, Spirit House, Grand Electric, Electric Mud, are all places I either go to regularly or suggest, although most of those don't even come close to "fine" dining if you're looking at the whole experience or the options on the menu. The list of restaurants I want to get to keeps growing, and I lament not having the time to get to them fast enough. I don't know how many would fit in with the traditional idea of fine dining, but I have no doubt the food is better than what's offered at most of the old guard.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21707 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
It`s all a matter of opinion, really. I`m going to say both Spring Sushi and Spring Rolls are very good restaurants. They both have the AYCE option.
I like the Spring Sushi iPad. It`s fun ordering your food with it!
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
Astin wrote: Agree that many of those listed are pedestrian options, although they usually have some hits. They're definitely far above the chains mentioned, but are rapidly looking like dinosaurs in Toronto's food options in terms of quality and price. Still have the best wine lists though.

I haven't been in a few years, but Opus was always fantastic in the fine-dining sphere. I'd go there again easily over Splendido, George, or anything in the financial district. And I find O&B and McEwan restaurants terribly overrated for taste (although I've never made it up to Auberge, which I'm told is still very good).

Regardless, having eaten at Robuchon restaurants (greatest meals of my life), Batali and Bastianich joints, a couple of Michael Mina's places, Craftsteak, Per Se, and others, the "fine" dining in Toronto still has a long way to go.

No, in Toronto the best restaurants I've eaten at are the smaller, newer, younger, more casual places. I'll basically follow Van Gameren to whatever restaurant he's at (Black Hoof dropped considerably when he left), and Bar Isabel is great. Enoteca Sociale is still very good. County General is a regular stop. Hopgood's, Woodlot, Salt, Spirit House, Grand Electric, Electric Mud, are all places I either go to regularly or suggest, although most of those don't even come close to "fine" dining if you're looking at the whole experience or the options on the menu. The list of restaurants I want to get to keeps growing, and I lament not having the time to get to them fast enough. I don't know how many would fit in with the traditional idea of fine dining, but I have no doubt the food is better than what's offered at most of the old guard.
totally agree..though i'm not a fan of county general. went a couple of times for brunch and it was very meh.. tasteless and greasy the first time when I had some brisket and chicken thigh burger/sandwich second time.

Have you been to Edulis? read/heard good things but haven't made it there yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
97 upvotes
gilboman wrote: totally agree..though i'm not a fan of county general. went a couple of times for brunch and it was very meh.. tasteless and greasy the first time when I had some brisket and chicken thigh burger/sandwich second time.

Have you been to Edulis? read/heard good things but haven't made it there yet.
I've never done brunch there, just dinner. Pork buns are great. Never had anything I didn't like, including the chicken thigh sandwich. I also tend to sit at the bar and chat with the bartender, who does a great selection of cocktails.

Edulis is on my must-go list still, but I've heard nothing but good things.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
gilboman wrote: huh? are you and shutterbug the same account? why are you responding to what I said to shutterbug?

lol
Because I started this thread and you went on bashing good places,without clarifying it.

I do appreciate your further response,but it is still limited. You mentioned other places,but then you also bashed them.
Basically, you don't like any restaurants in Toronto...which is a bit negative.

I like to eat out and try new places and they may or may not have the best food I ever had,but it's an experience.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
playnicee1 wrote: It`s all a matter of opinion, really. I`m going to say both Spring Sushi and Spring Rolls are very good restaurants. They both have the AYCE option.
I like the Spring Sushi iPad. It`s fun ordering your food with it!
Spring Rolls has the best Tom Yam soup out of all places I tried(including my 6 visits to Thailand)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
Astin wrote: Agree that many of those listed are pedestrian options, although they usually have some hits. They're definitely far above the chains mentioned, but are rapidly looking like dinosaurs in Toronto's food options in terms of quality and price. Still have the best wine lists though.

Thank you for the suggestions!
I will certainly try to visit some of them.
Dec 10, 2003
780 posts
275 upvotes
Markham
dazz wrote: Thank you for the suggestions!
I will certainly try to visit some of them.
+1 Astin has the best recommendations and follows the food scene in Toronto more than anyone else who has posted (IMO).

Here are some of my thoughts on things to eat (remember price is not necessarily equated to good eats):
- Brunch: Saving Grace, Country General come to mind (as consistent stand bys)
- Steak: my heart is with Barbarian (for sentimental reasons), and Fabricca for their Porterhouse for two when uptown
- Dinning: George, Scaramouch is decent, but I'm not sure if there's really an "outstanding" fine dining in Toronto. (there isn't even a 1 Michelin star restaurant) so I can't comment on this. Give me NYC, San Fran, Tokyo, (not to mention Europe) any day.

Some restaurants on my to-eat list:
Vita Sociale
Bar Isabel
The Saint Tavern
Ruby watch company (anybody been there recently)?
Aug 21, 2009
321 posts
82 upvotes
Brampton
duckdown wrote: I heard Jacob's has the best steak & caesar salad in the city
Took me until last night to finally get back down to Jacob's for dinner.
Just a casual, no reservations dinner near the bar after the TAVES audio show at the King Edward Hotel.
We took a cab to King & Brant, walked in around 7:45pm and had a great meal, while the hockey and football games played on the screens.
Live piano for most of the evening downstairs, plus the main floor is where all the friendly hostesses attend while you eat.
Place was in full swing on a Friday night, pretty much full by 9:30pm, lots of people eating steaks right at the bar watching the games.

I can vouch that the Canadian Tenderloin and Strip Loin steaks were cooked properly and the tasty table side Caesar salad is still huge enough for two, as were the baked potato,mushrooms and oyster sides.
Three glasses of wine, one cognac, couple coffees, meat and sides was $350 for two, before tip.
Still a solid steakhouse and I look forward to going back.

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... 1ba65a.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... 247d92.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... 53882a.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... c4fa44.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... 72d0f7.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... 162706.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
Jacob's is great but it's SO expensive, tough to justify it IMO.. $350 for two is probably about what we paid as well.. Don't get me wrong we loved the food but it's a tough pill to swallow when that whopper of a bill arrives..
Aug 21, 2009
321 posts
82 upvotes
Brampton
duckdown wrote: Jacob's is great but it's SO expensive, tough to justify it IMO
Heh, didn't know you had satisfied your interest to date.
Was there a large dark colour Bentley parked right by the front entrance steps when you went?
Wondered if it was a fixture of sorts, or just another customer ride.

I hadn't been there in many years but apparently it still holds court to plenty of pro athletes and some devout international travelers that check their bags in at Jacob's first before heading to their hotels.
So claimed our lovely waitress, the seats had no shortage of patrons willing to part with that cash either.

Both of us at dinner found our experience vs. the cash, gave the nod to Jacob's over Harbour Sixty Steakhouse last night, anyhow.
Rolling with ice water instead of alcohol just isn't in the fun category yet...
The food is consistent and very good but if you are looking for a unique, savory, gourmet food experience outside of the steak and limited fish realms, I could see this:

Cheque please
[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... 90ec7a.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
ultrablue wrote: Heh, didn't know you had satisfied your interest to date.
Was there a large dark colour Bentley parked right by the front entrance steps when you went?
Wondered if it was a fixture of sorts, or just another customer ride.

I hadn't been there in many years but apparently it still holds court to plenty of pro athletes and some devout international travelers that check their bags in at Jacob's first before heading to their hotels.
So claimed our lovely waitress, the seats had no shortage of patrons willing to part with that cash either.

Both of us at dinner found our experience vs. the cash, gave the nod to Jacob's over Harbour Sixty Steakhouse last night, anyhow.
Rolling with ice water instead of alcohol just isn't in the fun category yet...
The food is consistent and very good but if you are looking for a unique, savory, gourmet food experience outside of the steak and limited fish realms, I could see this:

Cheque please
[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... 90ec7a.jpg[/IMG]
LOL..

Yep me and the Mrs went for my birthday this year, I don't remember seeing a Bentley parked there, but there was an older gentleman who was the greeter and gave us a kind of personal tour of the entire place.. When I took out my phone and snapped a quick picture of the dry aging meat locker he could tell I was enthusiastic on the subject and had one of the chefs come over really quick to talk to us and everything; from a service standpoint it was fantastic and they didn't try and upsell anything, even made a note of offering free ice water in addition to flat or sparkling for the table.. I like the take-home treat they package up for you too.. Just when that cheque comes, you immediately realize you sure paid for it! It's even more expensive than Queue de Cheval or Steakhouse 1221 in Montreal

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)