• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2008 10:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1667 posts

what is the best and safest way to receive money as a seller

what is the best and safest way to receive money as a seller? i heard using western union can be scam, but not too sure how does it work?

and is paypal safe ?
Share:
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
I think EMT would be the safest?
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2006
3449 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
PayPal always sides with the buyer, if you decide to accept PayPal make sure everything is well documented (pictures, tracking info, etc.) in case the buyer tries to scam by filing a claim.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3316 posts
31 upvotes
Richmond
PayPal is relatively safe in the sense that if you have everything well documented (tracking number, delivery confirmation), it should be fine. But then again, scammers know what they're doing and you can still get scammed.

EMT or wire transfer is the safest option, because once the money goes into your account, it can't be reversed. The problem with this is that most buyers will not agree to use this because THEY can get scammed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
180 upvotes
Edmonton
M@rk wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 8:55 am
PayPal is relatively safe in the sense that if you have everything well documented (tracking number, delivery confirmation), it should be fine. But then again, scammers know what they're doing and you can still get scammed.

EMT or wire transfer is the safest option, because once the money goes into your account, it can't be reversed. The problem with this is that most buyers will not agree to use this because THEY can get scammed.
Cash is safest. The source of the EMT can be fradulent. I've had my bank account frozen 3 times because of it. I sell a lot though.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1644 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
napoleon1769 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 3:28 pm
Cash is safest. The source of the EMT can be fradulent. I've had my bank account frozen 3 times because of it. I sell a lot though.
Like napoleon suggested, local meet-up is probably your best bet to receive money. If you don't feel safe meeting up with somebody then bring a friend a long "just incase". If meeting up isn't an option then paypal and EMT is the alterative even though both services has their own pros and cons. For some reason if the buyer doesn't want to send money via either one of those methods, then Canada Post MoneyOrder if an excellent way to receive money although it takes the longest. When the buyer ships out the money order make sure s/he got the tracking no. for it, incase it gets lost in transit..........
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/url]--------------------------------------
flickr
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5206 posts
178 upvotes
Calgary
emt or cash but if you have to use paypal make sure its not linked to your checking account and dont leave money just sitting in the paypal account
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
17825 posts
2218 upvotes
Waterloo
napoleon1769 wrote:
Agree, check the EMT source name with the username/email if you can. I have had my CIBC account frozen b/c a buyer on RFD stole someone's account and used that to send me EMT
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan/AMEX MR <= AMEX Platinum 75K, Business Gold 40K FYF, Gold 25K FYF, SPG 20K $120
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26826 posts
401 upvotes
Ottawa
napoleon1769 wrote:
I'm DYING to hear specifics of each 3 incidents please.

To answer the question., imho EMT is the safest for YOU. No chance of a chargeback., Claim., whatever. It's paid, it's instant (~40mins tops), and IRREVERSIBLE.

As long as you follow the initial security checks you're good to go.

I've read of schemes with EMTs...but I'm still having a hard time understanding how it can work?

Sending an EMT from a checking acct without INsufficient funds. YOu accept the emt., then the sending bank realizes, and claims back the funds, but you've already shipped the item THUS you get scammed.??? has this actually happened to anybody??
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
17825 posts
2218 upvotes
Waterloo
bubble.tea wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 10:29 pm
I'm DYING to hear specifics of each 3 incidents please.

To answer the question., imho EMT is the safest for YOU. No chance of a chargeback., Claim., whatever. It's paid, it's instant (~40mins tops), and IRREVERSIBLE.

As long as you follow the initial security checks you're good to go.

I've read of schemes with EMTs...but I'm still having a hard time understanding how it can work?

Sending an EMT from a checking acct without sufficient funds. YOu accept the emt., then the sending bank realizes, and claims back the funds, but you've already shipped the item THUS you get scammed.??? has this actually happened to anybody??
I can elaborate on my EMT fraud situation (my CIBC bank account still remained frozen, since 2005 b/c of this fraud. I've talked to CIBC, emailed Oburdsman, etc... they promised they would unfreeze it but never did, now I just don't bother anymore, only $30 in that account)

In short, I think this is what happened
person A hacks into person B's account, sends EMT from B to A, then forward the email to person J (me), I accepted it thinking it was all good, irreversible, sent out the item (it was PayPal funds in my case)

Later, I got contacted by the bank saying person B reported her account being identify theft, etc.... and the $800 got reversed back in my account. PayPal ruled in my favour, but couldn't give me my money back

Honestly, it could be the bigger scan if A & B work together to scam ME

Anyway, EMT is unsafe as in - you can forward the EMT email to ANYONE, and as long as they know the password, they can deposit it, whether they are the expected recipient or not
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan/AMEX MR <= AMEX Platinum 75K, Business Gold 40K FYF, Gold 25K FYF, SPG 20K $120
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1667 posts
napoleon1769 wrote:
if i am going ship item, i guess shipping cash is not a good idea.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26826 posts
401 upvotes
Ottawa
jerryhung wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 10:40 pm
I can elaborate on my EMT fraud situation (my CIBC bank account still remained frozen, since 2005 b/c of this fraud. I've talked to CIBC, emailed Oburdsman, etc... they promised they would unfreeze it but never did, now I just don't bother anymore, only $30 in that account)

In short, I think this is what happened
person A hacks into person B's account, sends EMT from B to A, then forward the email to person J (me), I accepted it thinking it was all good, irreversible, sent out the item (it was PayPal funds in my case)

Later, I got contacted by the bank saying person B reported her account being identify theft, etc.... and the $800 got reversed back in my account. PayPal ruled in my favour, but couldn't give me my money back

Honestly, it could be the bigger scan if A & B work together to scam ME

Anyway, EMT is unsafe as in - you can forward the EMT email to ANYONE, and as long as they know the password, they can deposit it, whether they are the expected recipient or not
?????????

WHAT IN GOD'S NAME where you doing??!?!??!???

You were paid $800 via emt., to give someone paypal funds worth $800???

fyi., the whole PREMISE of EMT is the URL encrypted email, and the pwd. Saying if someone knows the pwd does not mean it's 'NOT SAFE'...that's the whole point! Duh!

See your scenario would not have happened if you were dealing with reputable people. This is why RFD has a premium over fleabay. While definately NOT 100% safe., it's quite a ways MORE safe than fleabay.
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
× < >