• Oct 23rd, 2013 1:10 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6413 posts
227 upvotes

What is the best size for a shed?

Planning to have a shed in the backyard 30' x 60'. Just wondering what size of a shed is best for this yard. Thinking of 9 ' x 9'. is it too big ? or too small?

Some people said, the shed should be big enough to store the patio set in there, maybe also bikes, lawn mower, snow blowers, etc. I notice there are patio furniture covers available in stores. Just wondering if it is better to keep the patio furniture in the shed or just covers them is good enough.

What do you guys think?
27 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
Whatever size you think you need, get one size bigger.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1143 posts
28 upvotes
Keswick
Andex wrote:
May 17th, 2010 1:29 pm
Whatever size you think you need, get one size bigger.
Id always go bigger than i need. lots of things can be stored in there afterwards
Jan 26, 2006
184 posts
20 upvotes
I'll second the bigger is better comment. Your patio furniture will fare better/last longer if stored inside than out, even if it is covered. 10' x 10' or 8' x 12' gets my vote.

Keep in mind local permit issues. Where I am, I can put up a shed with a footprint of 100 square feet (or whatever they metricificated it too) without need for permit. If I want to put in something bigger then I need a permit. If I want a second shed then I need a permit, even if the combined square footage of two small sheds would be within the 100 square feet limit.

I think there is a height limitation too (max height highest point of the roof something like 10 feet).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6202 posts
75 upvotes
Permits are just a formality, it's not like it's hard to get or pass the inspection..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6413 posts
227 upvotes
Does anyone know the size limit in City of Vaughan without applying for a permit?
Jul 13, 2002
294 posts
2 upvotes
I have a 25' x 50' backyard and ended up building an 8'x8' shed. Honestly, it *could* be bigger, but I can still store two sets of tires, my lawnmower/trimmer, table saw w/stand, + a bike and a huge amount of other misc stuff. I was surprised how much i could get in there and still be able to access it easily. Don't get me wrong, when I need to change tires, I need to take a couple of things out, but that’s only twice a year.

That being said, I stuck with 8'x8' since I didn’t want to take up too much of my backyard. I probably would have made it a bit bigger, but if you are short on space, an 8x8 shed can still still be spacious.

You can see my shed here (since you have a similar sized yard) to see how much space it takes up

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6413 posts
227 upvotes
Thanks for sharing the photo. BTW, do u know if by law we need to leave a couple feet space in between the shed & fences ?

clients wrote:
May 17th, 2010 2:09 pm
I have a 25' x 50' backyard and ended up building an 8'x8' shed. Honestly, it *could* be bigger, but I can still store two sets of tires, my lawnmower/trimmer, table saw w/stand, + a bike and a huge amount of other misc stuff. I was surprised how much i could get in there and still be able to access it easily. Don't get me wrong, when I need to change tires, I need to take a couple of things out, but that’s only twice a year.

That being said, I stuck with 8'x8' since I didn’t want to take up too much of my backyard. I probably would have made it a bit bigger, but if you are short on space, an 8x8 shed can still still be spacious.

You can see my shed here (since you have a similar sized yard) to see how much space it takes up

Apr 22, 2007
802 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
Fence set back is likely not universal. If your future shed is easy to move, just stick it as close as the fence you want and move it when someone complains. :)

As for you, 8x10 would be alright. But I would go 8x12. My backyard is about 30x40. It's a monster of a shed but it looks good so it's okay.

In markham is 2ft. I got the shaft b/c someone complained about height but that was okay but was 4" too close to fence. Took 1/2 day and two strong friends with car jacks and roller bars to move mine (it was only 30% complete). If I were to move it now, I wouldn't know where to begin. Maybe need 6 jacks on the safe side.

Jul 13, 2002
294 posts
2 upvotes
That is a AWESOME shed .... damn. Nice work
johnboy wrote:
May 17th, 2010 3:09 pm
Fence set back is likely not universal. If your future shed is easy to move, just stick it as close as the fence you want and move it when someone complains. :)

As for you, 8x10 would be alright. But I would go 8x12. My backyard is about 30x40. It's a monster of a shed but it looks good so it's okay.

In markham is 2ft. I got the shaft b/c someone complained about height but that was okay but was 4" too close to fence. Took 1/2 day and two strong friends with car jacks and roller bars to move mine (it was only 30% complete). If I were to move it now, I wouldn't know where to begin. Maybe need 6 jacks on the safe side.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6413 posts
227 upvotes
Thanks for the info. Nice shed. It is all brick, no wonder it is so heavy :) By the way, the back of my shed is actually facing my neighbour's side window of the house. I am at corner lot with the one side of the fence next to one of my neighbour's side windows (only less than 3 ft away). Thus, I guess I can't build the shed too high as well............ Yours looks like 10 ft tall !
johnboy wrote:
May 17th, 2010 3:09 pm

Apr 22, 2007
802 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
thx clients and rds.

It's engineered brick (aka faux brick). Still weighs a ton though. I think around 500lbs. But I think I applied 500lbs of mortar to stick the brick on the walls too.

Only covered two sides. The walls along the fence is just vinyl siding from HD. After first winter thaw, foundation sank about 1" on heavy side. Had to use two jacks to jack it back up.
Jan 26, 2006
184 posts
20 upvotes
Vaughn Shed Bylaw

Not the easiest thing to understand, might be worth a quick call to city hall. Looks like they set max size based on your lot frontage.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6413 posts
227 upvotes
FrostedGlass wrote:
May 17th, 2010 5:47 pm
Vaughn Shed Bylaw

Not the easiest thing to understand, might be worth a quick call to city hall. Looks like they set max size based on your lot frontage.
Thanks for the link. So, according to what it says, the shed needs to be about 2 ft (0.6 m) from the fences, 8.25 ft (2.5 m) height max. I don't quite understand the size limit. So, if my house frontage is between 9 m to 17.99 m, the max square footage is 8 m square ??? Like 2.67 m x 3 m which is smaller than I thought. Can't even build a 10 ft x 10 ft .........
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6413 posts
227 upvotes
By the way, do I need to have a concrete base for a shed? I notice stores are selling "floor kit" for shed, and there are some shed with base already. And is the concrete base supposed to be exactly the same size of the shed base or should be a bit bigger?

A patio company is charging me $200 to build a 10' x 10' base, with the 3/4 gavels and the exisiting concrete pavers I have to put on top (I guess same process like they build a patio).Is it a good deal? or I can just build a shed with the "floor kit" on the lawn??? If we get the shed without base, would water get in there during raining days or snow melting?

Sorry for all these questions, I know too little about shed.... but want it to be built probably.

I'd appreciate any advise.
× < >