Shopping Discussion

What is the best stuff to buy from Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2013 12:00 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 22, 2010
881 posts
73 upvotes

What is the best stuff to buy from Costco?

What is some of the stuff they sell at Costco that's better/cheaper than if you buy it at a regular grocery store? Personally, I don't find everything they sell in bulk to be cheaper than when you buy it from a regular grocery store, except a few select things.

Also, what makes the Costco membership worth it? It doesn't really seem to be cheaper and you're just paying an extra $50.
70 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Lots of items (mostly food, though) are listed at http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-w ... ke-551745/ ... There are lots of non-food items at Costco too, though. You can go through some of the weekly Costco coupon threads to get an idea of what kind of sales come up and the prices you can expect.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
194 upvotes
Crossover wrote:
Apr 16th, 2011 2:35 am
What is some of the stuff they sell at Costco that's better/cheaper than if you buy it at a regular grocery store? Personally, I don't find everything they sell in bulk to be cheaper than when you buy it from a regular grocery store, except a few select things.

Also, what makes the Costco membership worth it? It doesn't really seem to be cheaper and you're just paying an extra $50.

Nothing really makes it worth it. Just about everything is cheaper elsewhere, and has a greater variety.

If you value your time the then don't join since you will spend FOREVER in line. Costco is all about lines!
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2225 posts
477 upvotes
jason9945 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2011 11:09 pm
Nothing really makes it worth it. Just about everything is cheaper elsewhere, and has a greater variety.

If you value your time the then don't join since you will spend FOREVER in line. Costco is all about lines!
Completely disagree. The lines at my local costco move pretty quickly, especially considering that unlike most stores most costco customers come up with full shopping carts.
Jul 28, 2008
656 posts
35 upvotes
GTA
Bounty paper towels - same price per roll as if you bought it on sale in normal stores, but the rolls are TWICE as big. Love it.
Dish washing detergent (ie. Finish powerball, Cascada action pacs) - Big 120-packs, and cheaper. They also go on sale, even better.
Orange juice Tropicana 4-packs.
I also like getting the 2- and 3-packs of shower gels, Olay facial cloths, etc. Still cheaper than waiting for a sale at normal stores.
Meat is really good quality, and good price.
Magazines are a certain percentage off cover price, can't remember how much exactly. 15% or so.
Jun 3, 2010
716 posts
118 upvotes
Richmond Hill
On a regular basis, I buy the following:

- Tropicana OJ 4 pack
- 10% cream (half & half)
- Procuitto from Italy
- Bottled water when it is on sale
- Bounty towels when it is on sale
- Cadbury mini eggs at Easter season
- Books and magazines in general

I find that Costco will have decent quality non food items as well. I also bought the following:

- fancy floor registers (half the price of Home Depot)
- 1 piece dual flush toilet - although not a name brand, it is generally agreed that it is good quality
- Hook / hanger set for the garage, for $20 a set, i got about $100 worth of hooks and the track

To further augment what I buy with my Costco membership, I also shop at US Costco stores for:

- Wines and liquor - but you do need to check the prices i.e. Dom Perignon is about $125 at US Costco and $220 at LCBO

I believe you still need to shop smart at Costco. Not everything is "cheaper". But you do get good quality for what you buy and that may translate into something for you. As always, YMMV.
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
255 upvotes
Here
If Costco is not out of your way, you can easily get your monies worth just on gas alone for the year.
Other things I have gotten at really good prices there are propane and tank, oil changes are $15 cheaper than my local dealer and they use castrol gtx which is good stuff. Winter rims. Best place to buy electronics because of their extremely lax return policy. Depending on your grocery habits, you can save a lot there as well and get good quality. I have never used their pharmacy but hear its relatively cheap. Brand name clothing... etc.
Jan 7, 2011
372 posts
9 upvotes
Don't buy much for food as the quantities are quite large for just 2 people, occasionally buy their Shepard's Pie (very good if you like Shepard's Pie).

Items I think are a good deal at Costco:

Kraft Cracker Barrel Cheddar (1 KG for under $12.00)
Kirkland Paper Towels
Kirkland Green Garbage Bags (100 count, just as good or better than Glad Bags, and a lot less expensive)
Kirkland Drawstring Kitchen Bags (200 count, many times better than any Glad Kitchen bags)
Kirkland 'AA' Batteries (Under $13.00 for 48 Batteries)
Vanity Fair Dinner napkins, 3 ply 15 x 17 inches (These are the best white napkins I've seen anywhere)
E.D. Smith 'More Fruit' Strawberry Jam (under 8.00 for 1 Liter jar)

Consumer Electronics, mainly because if you don't like it, it's no hassle to return it.

Tires for car (Quite a bit less than the tire stores but the service is very, very, very, slow)
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
1343 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
The electronics (albeit a small selection), propane and gas prices are always worth the trip.

Like others say, toilet paper, paper towels and water when they're on sale.

Also every few months they put "Do It Yourself" wine kits on sale for about $55. That makes 30 bottles. Not the best wine but fine for most occasions.

My local Costco has 1 litre of 10% coffee cream for about $2.50 but found it at my local grocer on sale the other day for $1.79. Compare that to $4 at Loblaws.

Occasionally I get their barbequed chicken when it's on sale for about $6 and a ton of cooked wings for $10. You get twice as many wings at Costco for half the price of most other supermarkets.

Now with Canadian Tire, Shoppers and Wal-mart selling food, there seems to be more competition for your food dollars.
Help keep the Canadian economy strong. Don't buy overpriced new cars in Canada. Car stealerships in Canada don't value your business & conspire to keep prices artificially high. Before you buy a new car in Canada, do yourself a favour, compare US pricing first! Some RFDers saved TENS of THOUSANDS shopping for vehicles down south. Find out how I saved over $18,000 by importing my vehicle from the US at my personal website: www.monsieurmaggot.com and be sure to read my other rants there too!
Aug 20, 2010
283 posts
71 upvotes
We're within walking distance of Costco, 10 minutes, so we walk over regularly with our cart.

We usually get:
-paper towels
-detergents and fabric softeners
-Oxiclean
-dish soap
-scrubber sponges
-Milk
-mozzarella cheese (2.2kg bricks, they're better quality compared to kraft/black diamond)
-Ground Beef
-Baguettes
-Cat Litter
-garbage bags
-kirkland bacon
-kirkland frozen OJ

otherwise everything else we get are usually the sale items, this past week mini wheats were on sale, last week, a box of chicken cordon swiss.
Since we're within walking distance, we're check weekly for price adjustments, this wast week we've adjusted for 6.50$ back.

We've also bought a large sirloin and butchered it into like 12-14 steaks, it saved about 8$ vs. buying the steaks pre-cut.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
jason9945 wrote:

I spend less time to line up in Costco in weekend (their busiest day) than in NoFrills in weekdays (their less busy day).

The line looks long because of the size of the cart but its lines move fast.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
I buy pretty much everything at Costco (or at least, most of the things I need that can be bought at Costco). It's convenient for me because it's right on the way home from work, and is never busy at that time, so it's more accessible than a grocery store. Price wise, I agree that if you shop around you can get better prices on some things - but for me, I know if I buy what I need at Costco, I will always get a competitive price, even if it isn't always the best price. I would rather do that than spend time comparing prices, reading flyers, driving from store to store or spending time trying to get people to pricematch. It also gives me the opportunity to try new things, if something does work out it can be returned without a hassle. For example a while back I bought the Philips Blu light from Costco... I would never have bought that anywhere else because there is no way of seeing if it works for you without buying and trying, and most other places would give you some attitude about returning opened and used electronics.

If I had to pick one "sleeper" deal at Costco, it would be the 5-pack of 3M big lint rollers for $8.99, we use those for cat hair and they cost about $4-5 each at a grocery store.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15908 posts
354 upvotes
sometimes there's good deals on television and you get price protection too.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
jason9945 wrote:

Cheaper at the same quality? I don't think so. Atleast on Meat, Produce, Dairy.

As for the lines. I think Costco has the fastest lines in the business. Take the same long line with half the stuff in peoples buggies at another store. No way it will be as fast.

Although, im a costco junkie. self admitting.
× < >