Personal Finance

What is the best value to redeem Air Miles with?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2006 9:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
4 upvotes
Sonic Temple

What is the best value to redeem Air Miles with?

Apart from travel, I was wondering what offering provides the most value for the money with respect to redeeming Air Miles?

I was thinking more along the lines of 140 miles for $20 Dominion gift certificate or 175 miles for $20 Shell Gas certificate but I'm not sure if these are the best bang for the buck.

Thoughts?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
4 upvotes
150 AMs for 5 Ultimate Shell car washes.
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Feb 2, 2005
916 posts
124 upvotes
150 AMs for 5 Ultimate Shell car washes.
Airmiles changed that reward to 75 airmiles for 2 car washes a little while ago.

Audio - Just do the math ($ value divide by airmiles required). This has been posted before but I believe that the 2 for 1 @ famous players was the best value airmiles reward. You get:

$0.44 per Airmile on the Famours Players 2 for 1
$0.33 per Airmile on the old Shell 5 Car wash cert.
$0.27 per Airmile on the new Shell 2 Car wash cert.
$0.14 per Airmile on the Dominion $20 cert.
$0.14 per Airmile on a [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=32]Chapters[/rfdlink], Gap or Sport Check $25 cert.
$0.12 per Airmile on the Starbucks $10 cert.
$0.11 per Airmile on the Shell gas $20 cert.

If you don't go to the theater, it's still cheaper to rent a DVD but if you go to watch movies at Famous Players, then the 2 for 1 is a smoking value as far as Airmiles go.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
4 upvotes
T-Bone wrote:Airmiles changed that reward to 75 airmiles for 2 car washes a little while ago.

Audio - Just do the math ($ value divide by airmiles required). This has been posted before but I believe that the 2 for 1 @ famous players was the best value airmiles reward. You get:

$0.44 per Airmile on the Famours Players 2 for 1
$0.33 per Airmile on the old Shell 5 Car wash cert.
$0.27 per Airmile on the new Shell 2 Car wash cert.
$0.14 per Airmile on the Dominion $20 cert.
$0.14 per Airmile on a [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=32]Chapters[/rfdlink], Gap or Sport Check $25 cert.
$0.12 per Airmile on the Starbucks $10 cert.
$0.11 per Airmile on the Shell gas $20 cert.

If you don't go to the theater, it's still cheaper to rent a DVD but if you go to watch movies at Famous Players, then the 2 for 1 is a smoking value as far as Airmiles go.
Great information here. Thanks.
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
2877 posts
37 upvotes
thanks for the info

I wish airmiles would multiply their miles by a factor of 20. With airmiles credit cards ($20/mile), it's kinda easy to lose miles as your bill is like 199.99...

Hate it when that happens. Also, I'm not sure about this, but it seems that airmiles travel has alot of special terms and conditions, black out, weekend stay etc... (correct me if i'm wrong), so I'm not sure if I want to travel with them.. haven't tried yet.
既生瑜, 何生亮

Ebay Feedback
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
3899 posts
56 upvotes
Movies are the best for sure.

I love the Famous Players Night Out Package, 2 movies, 2 large pops, 1 popcorn = heaven on earth
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
2877 posts
37 upvotes
yes, me too, i have enjoyed it quite a bit, though i didn't use airmiles to redeem it

I had the avion with rbc as staff, $60 fee.. double points, 10000 bonus (15000 on promotion now)

3000 points/famous night out..

think I got 27000 total points this year, redeemed 9 FNO.., I know the popcorn and cokes are not free (since I traded points), but it still feels better than spending myself! hehe

Paper instead of swiping a card... FNO certificate makes me feel like VIP
既生瑜, 何生亮

Ebay Feedback
Sep 10, 2005
115 posts
I will see how many airmiles points i can gain in my whole life, and redeem for a big item.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
2877 posts
37 upvotes
airmiles will be cancelled or you'll die before redeeming.. lol

you might have enough miles to buy the company and become president..
既生瑜, 何生亮

Ebay Feedback
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1156 posts
39 upvotes
T-Bone wrote:
Sep 28th, 2005 4:05 pm
Unless you're single and go with someone.. use the voucher, and your 'date' or 'buddy' assumes that you're going to split the price. :) .
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
215 upvotes
soymilk wrote:
Sep 28th, 2005 11:39 pm
I will see how many airmiles points i can gain in my whole life, and redeem for a big item.
Air Miles depreciate in value, just like cash does, you'll be constantly chasing a moving target.

I only collect passively, but as soon as I have enough to cash in for something I'll use (car washes or GC's), I do so.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
2008 posts
2 upvotes
By a landslide, the best redemption value is to get yourself a Bank of Montreal Mosaik gold Mastercard and book WestJet flights, especially during high season. If you live in Western Canada and you have a Safeway, you can fly free at least a couple times a year.

Ever since the WestJet Mastercard was introduced a few years ago, I've accumulated 5000-10000 Air Miles annually, mostly from Safeway, and it only costs 1600 miles to fly WestJet in North America during the premium high season. I haven't come across any rewards program that can outperform this combination. I've found new places to go on vacation directly because of Air Miles.
Aug 19, 2004
969 posts
4 upvotes
sparkplug wrote:
Oct 30th, 2006 4:02 pm
By a landslide, the best redemption value is to get yourself a Bank of Montreal Mosaik gold Mastercard and book WestJet flights, especially during high season. If you live in Western Canada and you have a Safeway, you can fly free at least a couple times a year.

Ever since the WestJet Mastercard was introduced a few years ago, I've accumulated 5000-10000 Air Miles annually, mostly from Safeway, and it only costs 1600 miles to fly WestJet in North America during the premium high season. I haven't come across any rewards program that can outperform this combination. I've found new places to go on vacation directly because of Air Miles.
I also got the Westjet Mastercard... seems to be a smoking deal for those that use their CC often.
Apr 10, 2006
351 posts
Coquitlam, B.C.
I just used my Airmiles to get an X-box 360 (5100) and a robot dog, similar to Robosapien (950). Already received these items. Just ordered a knife set and Dremel kit the other day. Should receive these in the next couple of weeks.
Intel i7 920
Asus P6T
2 x XFX 4870 XXX
Corsair HX-620W
3 x 2GB Corsair DDR3
Seagate Barracuda HD's ~~ 80, 200, 500
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18098 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
How about redeeming for flights? Is it a better value than the $20 Dominion/A&P gift certs?
× < >