Shopping Discussion

What is the best way to buy Dryer & Washer with installation?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 4:12 pm
[OP]
Dec 9, 2018
10 posts
Toronto

What is the best way to buy Dryer & Washer with installation?

Question 1:

I am living a townhouse, what is the best way to buy Dryer & Washer with installation in Toronto?

Buy them at Home Depot or some other stores then add installation service($$$)? Or just find a local installer after the delivery?

Question 2:

Should I measure(check) my current dryer and washer capacity? I don't want to change pipes, parts & dig holes in the house, so I just want to pull the old one out then plug in the new one.

I want a professional to install them because the laundry room is on the second floor, in case the leaks.

And of course, I want to get rid of the old ones.

Thanks.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2364 posts
932 upvotes
Edmonton
Just add installation at time of purchase. Most places do this. The Bay will haul out both your old washer & dryer for a flat fee of $25 for both.

Connections are standard, capacity is irrelevant.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3882 posts
4053 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wow, I never knew people used professionals to install washers and dryers.. It's literally a matter of plugging in power, connecting 2 garden hoses to the tap, and plugging the drain hose into the pipe. Talk about easy money...
Aug 20, 2009
7052 posts
1735 upvotes
Grimsby
You should absolutely measure before buying anything because once its in your house it's a pain to return, assuming you can at all. Measure depth to ensure it isn't going to stick out, some townhouses have a closet style upstairs laundry room where clearance can be an issue.

In terms of installation it is really easy to do but if you aren't comfortable doing so then most places offer it at a low rate. Definitely get them to haul out the old appliances, you don't want that hassle.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9141 posts
6459 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sounds like you are not particularly handy yourself

So the easiest way to do this, is to get the place you buy from (Home Depot, Lowe’s, The Bay ... or an independent furniture / appliance store) do the Delivery, Installation, and Removal

Yes it costs extra, but it’s easy and fairly painless for you the home owner ... in that it all gets done in one fell swoop
[OP]
Dec 9, 2018
10 posts
Toronto
@starchoice thank you. If all capacity has the same connections, then I don't have to worry get a bit of bigger capacity.

@Redmask thank you. I have to get the stackable one, and I don't want to have leaks if I do something wrong. My family uses them pretty often.
Jan 31, 2011
720 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought washer/dryer pair from Rona recently and they throw in free delivery/install/haul away without haggle.

You shouldn't need to worry about the hose/power plug if you're replacing with the same size and type of washer/dryer in the same location. It will be different if you're upgrading to a dryer with steam function which will need an extra cold water hose. Those hoses are cheap and the size are standard.

You may want to clean up the lint build-up in the old dryer vent when replacing the dryer, just hook up the vacuum cleaner to the vent and try to suck as much lint as you could.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9141 posts
6459 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
thunderbolt wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:22 pm
I just bought washer/dryer pair from Rona recently and they throw in free delivery/install/haul away without haggle.

You shouldn't need to worry about the hose/power plug if you're replacing with the same size and type of washer/dryer in the same location. It will be different if you're upgrading to a dryer with steam function which will need an extra cold water hose. Those hoses are cheap and the size are standard.

You may want to clean up the lint build-up in the old dryer vent when replacing the dryer, just hook up the vacuum cleaner to the vent and try to suck as much lint as you could.
Good post

And in regards to vacuuming venting & dryer lint:

This is something everyone with a dryer should do on a regular basis. Lint building up in the exit venting (hose / wall tubing ) is a major fire hazard ... one of the reasons that new homes now built to code have gotten rid of those flexible hosing, and gone to rigid metal tubing
[OP]
Dec 9, 2018
10 posts
Toronto
The outside of the dryer vent cover is too high to reach even with the standard ladder, anywhere I can rent or should I hire someone to do it?
Last edited by Singbetternbetter on Jan 10th, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 31, 2011
720 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:37 pm
Good post

This is something everyone with a dryer should do on a regular basis. Lint building up in the exit venting (hose / wall tubing ) is a major fire hazard ... one of the reasons that new homes now built to code have gotten rid of those flexible hosing, and gone to rigid metal tubing
Well I learnt about that when recently I noticed my clothes are still damp from my 10 yrs old dryer. I placed an order for new dryer thinking it's time to replace it, but then I found about 4 pieces of anti-static sheets got stuck at the vent exhaust on the outside wall. Face With Tears Of Joy
Jul 19, 2004
844 posts
177 upvotes
Vancouver
Singbetternbetter wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:35 pm
Question 1:

I am living a townhouse, what is the best way to buy Dryer & Washer with installation in Toronto?

Buy them at Home Depot or some other stores then add installation service($$$)? Or just find a local installer after the delivery?

Question 2:

Should I measure(check) my current dryer and washer capacity? I don't want to change pipes, parts & dig holes in the house, so I just want to pull the old one out then plug in the new one.

I want a professional to install them because the laundry room is on the second floor, in case the leaks.

And of course, I want to get rid of the old ones.

Thanks.
Installation for washer and dryer from places like homedepot won't be from a professional either way.
If you want an actual plumber to come in and plug things in it'll probably cost you an extra $100 bucks at least.

When I bought my washer and dryer I end up hooking everything together myself as the guy that came from homedepot didn't even know how to turn a wrench.

Edit: They also wanted us to unplug everything ourselves before they would remove the old washer and dryer.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3882 posts
4053 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:37 pm
Good post

This is key. Even with flexible hosing, as long as you clean it out every year or so, it shouldn't get to a point that it becomes fire hazard. As more of the stuff builds up, it get harder and harder to clean it out.

I jam my leaf blower into the hosing every year, cover up the sides with a loose t-shirt, and blast away for a minute or so. Works great.