Travel

What to bring back from the Philippines? (As gifts, and for resale)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2019 9:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1172 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver

What to bring back from the Philippines? (As gifts, and for resale)

I'm returning from a Philippines trip soon
Have plenty of luggage capacity to spare
What's easy to bring and resell for profit, aside from the obvious liquor and smokes? (Rum is 2usd a litre, Marlboro Gold 2usd a pack, etc.)
I bought a brand new phone for 8000php last month Realme 3, could buy a few more units easily as well as Huaweis and Samsung's

Anything that Filipinos in Canada value that isn't easily obtainable in Canada? I can't bring Balut unfortch or fruits due to restrictions on the Asian fruit fly...

Salamat!
The opinions expressed herein are neither opinions, nor expressed.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5663 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
You can bring dried mangoes which are pretty popular here. I always bring back a bunch and people love them. Pearl jewelry makes for great gifts as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27583 posts
13513 upvotes
Ottawa
Dried fish?
That seems to be very popular with the Asian community.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1172 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
psyko514 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 10:05 am
You can bring dried mangoes which are pretty popular here. I always bring back a bunch and people love them. Pearl jewelry makes for great gifts as well.
True
I got no one to gift pearls to tho
Dry mangoes are actually expensive in pH as well tho on par with Canada...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1172 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 10:16 am
Dried fish?
That seems to be very popular with the Asian community.
Good one
Oct 23, 2017
834 posts
505 upvotes
GTA West
That is a challenge.

Most of the things that Filipinos bring back for themselves are readily available here at an equivalent price, e.g. dried mangos. There are lots of local snacks but they don't seem to taste as good when sent overseas. A lot of the stuff made in the mom and pop shops is frankly of low quality. E.g. people give us sugary tamarind candy and garlic corn and the like, that spend a year in the pantry before going to the green bin. Best to enjoy those while in the Philippines.

Brandies like Fundador are cheap but you are only allowed limited amounts.

One thing you can't get here are the souvenirs like carabao carvings, wooden spoons, and shell mobiles. But there is no market for them here and who is going to display them at home? We have ours in the storeroom LOL - emotional treasures that we can't bear to throw away, that nobody else wants either.

You can also bring back Filipino formal wear for those Filipino formal occasions. Of course they will just hang in the closet most of the year and when you do wear it to a function, most of the Filipino men present will be wearing suits from Moores.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1172 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
Haha I appreciate your effort and sincerety in writing that!
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 11:20 pm
That is a challenge.

Most of the things that Filipinos bring back for themselves are readily available here at an equivalent price, e.g. dried mangos. There are lots of local snacks but they don't seem to taste as good when sent overseas. A lot of the stuff made in the mom and pop shops is frankly of low quality. E.g. people give us sugary tamarind candy and garlic corn and the like, that spend a year in the pantry before going to the green bin. Best to enjoy those while in the Philippines.

Brandies like Fundador are cheap but you are only allowed limited amounts.

One thing you can't get here are the souvenirs like carabao carvings, wooden spoons, and shell mobiles. But there is no market for them here and who is going to display them at home? We have ours in the storeroom LOL - emotional treasures that we can't bear to throw away, that nobody else wants either.

You can also bring back Filipino formal wear for those Filipino formal occasions. Of course they will just hang in the closet most of the year and when you do wear it to a function, most of the Filipino men present will be wearing suits from Moores.
Dec 31, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
My suggestion would be coffee. However, it is not Arabica beans that you get there. I bought from a roaster in Batangas area for a reasonable price. I do not know about reselling but you gift it to others. I like that coffee.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)