Computers & Electronics

What can I do about ghost images on my Samsung Plasma HDTV?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2012 6:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3134 posts
92 upvotes

What can I do about ghost images on my Samsung Plasma HDTV?

I'm seeing ghost images of CP24 on my 50" Samsung Plasama HDTV. Is there something I can do to prevent this? How can I get rid of it? Model number is PN50B540S3F.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1962 posts
150 upvotes
Dig around the menu - your TV probably has a scrolling black to white screen for burn in protection. Run that any time you've been watching TV with static images for any extended period of time (news tickers, etc...)
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
10367 posts
12611 upvotes
Montreal
Can see why .That ticker is pretty white and I guess you leave it on that news channel alot .

Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2273 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
Refer to pages 24 and 25 of your manual.
Picture Options > Screen Burn Protection > Scrolling

Following may be of interest as well, Whichever method(s) you select,
Make sure that the picture covers the entire screen.
It does not matter if images are distorted or not.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2638 upvotes
Vancouver
"Burn in" takes months to develop at a minimum. "Image retention" can happen in a few minutes. A bad case can take up to 24 hours of viewing time to disappear, but there's no need to take any special measures. Viewing ordinary changing content that fills the screen will do it.
Sep 1, 2012
244 posts
21 upvotes
It happens. Turn your contrast and brightness down and try to put on an "orbiter" mode in your settings if you have one. That's what they call it for LG plasmas.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
haha his last name is soltendieck
stephroll wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 11:38 pm
Can see why .That ticker is pretty white and I guess you leave it on that news channel alot .

Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
6978 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto
OP, to prevent it don't keep static images(or features) on your display for extended periods of time.

stephroll wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 11:38 pm

CP24 usually looks like this:
May 18, 2011
94 posts
30 upvotes
I practice traditional religion, I can tell you how we get rid of them.

First, get some sage and burn throughout your home. As you do this, open your front and back door. Pray as you are burning the sage and walk throughout your house telling the ghost(s) to leave because they do not belong there. Claim your home as yours. Tell them they belong in the spirit world and not in this physical world. Their time here has passed.

When you finish burning the sage, bless all those who dwell in the home by pulling the smoke toward you from head to toe. Take the ashes and place them at the four corners outside of your home. Sprinkle some of the ashes from the doorway down your steps. The door is left open so as you bless your home, you have made a way for the ghost(s) to leave your home for good.
Nov 29, 2011
724 posts
127 upvotes
Milton
Can turning the TV off actually help?

For example, I had some image retention earlier this week (a logo on the wallpaper I use, as it's connected to a PC), and set the black-to-white transitioning "fix" thing on to get rid of it, and after about 10 minutes it looked the same.

So I turned off the TV, went to the bathroom and back, turned it back on and it was fine.

It's a Samsung 43" plasma.

I mean I don't know why that'd work, but it did.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2638 upvotes
Vancouver
Usually image retention doesn't go away when the TV is turned off, but it does go away very quickly (i.e., within seconds) when you display normal changing content.
× < >